What's new

WWE: Best of the 80's DVD match list. (1 Viewer)

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
Thanks Casey for the heads up.

I am hoping for some context to the matches too. I doubt we will get anything close to the Ric Flair DVD, but I am hoping for at least a short introduction or a clip here and there.

If the Steamboat-Savage match from WMIII is included, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Jesse Ventura's colour commentary with Gorilla Monsoon is included. It was a great commentary to go along with a classic match.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Man, as a old school wrestling fan, that looks like a great set.. I also loved that flair set a while back and I heard it sold well. I wish there was a volume 2 in the future.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Snagged this tonight....

I was thinking this set was just a hodgepodge of matches from various stars of the eighties, but the matches are simply part of the extras. The meat of the 3 disc presentation is a retrospective on each superstar, and so far they are really well done, and fairly meaty and in depth, not just 5 minute fluff pieces. The entire presentation is hosted by Gene Okerland, but all he does is introduce each piece. It's great to see each guy talking about their careers, especially Steamboat, who was MIA from the Flair set.

The only downside so far is that Rhodes doesn't participate in his own retrospective, despite the fact that you've got everyone from Flair to Bischoff to Billy Graham to Piper to Harley Race singing his praises. I guarantee you the non-participation was due to Dusty, as the WWE tried and tried to get him to take part in the Hall of Fame this year. Not sure why he's so hesitant, as it's obvious Vince has no qualms about lavishing praise on him, and Dusty is the type of guy that LOVES an ego stroking.

For the $22.88 (which I paid at the only major chain large widespread enough to have a store in Fort Scott), it's a steal. With the current product, it's tough times for a new school wrestling fan, but for fans old enough to remember the old school, we are getting spoiled, and it's awesome.

Next stop: the 2 disc Road Warriors retrospective!

BTW, unless they are easter eggs, the matches below are NOT included (but trust me, there is plenty here to merit spending $40, much less $23)

*Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage - WWF Intercontinental Title Match, WrestleMania III

*Sgt. Slaughter vs. Pat Patterson - Boot Camp Match

*Hulk Hogan & Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper & Paul Orndorff - WrestleMania I

*Jimmy Snuka vs. Don Muraco - Steel Cage Match, Madison Square Garden

*Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes - NWA World Title Match, Great American Bash '85

*Harley Race vs. Ric Flair - NWA World Title Cage Match, Starrcade '83

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Nick, thanks for the information. I'm not so sure that Dusty's lack of participation has anything to do with him, it could have a lot to do with his association with TNA however.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, I know per Meltzer that there was a concentrated effort to get Dusty to accept a Hall of Fame induction this year, despite the fact that he was lead booker for TNA at the time.

Anyway, more DVD news has surfaced today...the long rumored Undertaker set "Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker" hits in August, and it will be a 3 disc set. Also, a 3 disc HHH set hits on November 22nd, the same day as the ECW Greatest Matches 2 disc set. Man, here I was hoping we'd finally get a Bret set,.....but instead, 3 discs of HHH...what a blessing.

Actually, if it has the Rock/HHH 60 minute Iron Man match, I might cave...man I'm weak.

Oh, almost forgot...Greatest Ladder Matches 2 disc set in September.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
NWA National Tag Team Championship Match
Starrcade - 28/11/85
Ole & Arn Anderson vs. Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack Haynes{/QUOTE]

What a lot of people don't realize is that Wahoo & Billy Jack walked into that match as the U.S. Tag Team Champions (only the National Belts were on the line). IMO, Jim Crockett really dropped the ball on this one, this shoud have been made into a unification match. Two months later Ole & Arn would be stripped of the National Belts, 6 months after that the National Tag Team Title is renamed the U.S. Tag Team Title, which means there are two teams that are U.S. Tag Team Champions. It all gets cleared up in late 1986 when the Florida promotion (also an NWA member) retires their U.S. Tag Team Title (which Wahoo & Billy Jack held) in favor of bringing back the Florida Tag Team Title. And not to sound too nitpicky, but all the U.S. & National Title weren't been recognized by the NWA Board. They only regognized the World Heavyweight, World Jr. Heavyweight, & World Light Heavyweight Titles. All the various U.S., National, and "NWA" World Tag Team Titles, etc. (there were 12 different promotions that all had their own "NWA" World Tag Team Title at various points) were all owned by the individual promoters and not the NWA.

Look like I'm going to have to pick this up, especially since my Starrcade 85 is in horrible condition. A guy in Canada got a copy of The Road Warriors DVD and he posted screen caps and I'm blown away by what I've seen. I've been a huge Road Warriors fan since I was in my teens so I'm definitely picking that one up.

DonHearth

Grip
Anybody find this on Netflix's site? I wanted to check out the package before committing on a purchase, but I did not see it listed anywhere...

Thanks for the help...
Don

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Duane, where are the screen caps posted of the Road Warriors set? Sounds like that set is getting pretty easy to find up north...lucky punks.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I’ve been hesitant about getting this set, however I did pick-up the Road Warriors set and it is incredibly well put together. What I appreciate most about it is that the WW(F)E years aren’t even mentioned until the last half hour of the nearly 2 hour documentary. Most of it focuses on the AWA, NWA and WCW days of the L.O.D. I also found it very interesting that Barry Darsow seems to have been just as involved with this set as “Animal” was. The discussion of “Hawk’s” drug and alcohol problem was brought up and handled with the utmost of respect. I really don’t believe that anyone else could have done a finer job putting together a Road Warriors Documentary.

I have to admit over the last year or two, the WWE has been putting together some highly informative, interesting and entertaining documentaries & making excellent use of their extensive film library (including NWA/WCW, AWA and ECW). It seems like that worthless nWo DVD was their last poorly put-together documentary (I had actually vowed to never purchase another WWE DVD after being more than disappointed with how poorly they handled the nWo – then Hulk Still Rules was released and I marked out, LOL).

Blu

Screenwriter
The match I really want to see probably doesn't exist.

The Last Battle for Atlanta with Buzz Sawyer vs. Tommy Rich in the cage with Paul Ellering suspended in a cage outside.

If anyone had that match on a set it would be a huge seller! WWE really should explore their archives and see if it is in there somewhere!

Duane Alford

Second Unit

I tried to post the link, but since I don't have a certain number of posts it wouldn't allow me to. It's on another message board I post on. Bad thing is you have to register to read the forum. The caps taken were from when Animal did the tour of his trophy room, several great shots of his AWA World Tag Team Belt and his WWF World Tag Team Belt. Reggie Parks made those AWA Belts way back in 1969 and although beat u by the time they were retired, they're still in remarkable condition. I just turned 35 yesterday, and those AWA Belts are older then me! The WWF Tags Reggie made in the early 90's. I'll have to see if I can link the pics to here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks