What's new

WWDC Live Discussion Thread: All today's BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS are HERE! (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

Should be okay just swapping the SIM cards, although you may want to wait a few days and see if others have had problems (I'm sure a lot of people will be doing what you are planning.)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Ars had a talk with AT&T, tethering is coming but AT&T isn't ready to announce it yet. MMS is being delayed until upgrades to their 3G network can be completed.

AT&T speaks on tethering, iPhone 3G S preorders, upgrades - Ars Technica

In regards to the $29 10.6 upgrade, last time I had an upgrade install disc from Apple, it required the previous version of the OS be installed first. You could still wipe the drive before installing, but the OS had to be in place for the check. If that is the case this time, I think I would buy the regular full retail copy. It is not a big deal, but I rather not have that limitation.

I am waiting on reviews before considering upgrading my iPhone 3G. For me, the appeal will greatly depend on the quality of the pics/video of the new camera. I am also wondering if we might get iPhones with other carriers at some point 2010. If so, it might be better to wait rather than extend my contract with AT&T.

Some nice announcements today but I can't help but wonder if Steve will be announcing a larger device running the iPhone OS (tablet) when he comes back?

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Michael,

I missed this little ditty.

I use a PC air card while on the road. Fits in the express slot of
my 3-year-old MBP.

Are you saying that Apple removed the express slot on their just
announced 15" model?

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I only recently bought a MacBook 13" and they've now gone and updated it! Essentially it's very similar to my current machine with the (re)addition of FW and a new SD card slot which I don't need, but not the extra graphics of the other Pro models.

I'm surprised that the PC card slot has gone on the 15" MBP. There's at least one manufacturer making a PC card for eSata with Mac support. If the Pro range is supposed to be targeted to video and audio pros, then fast external storage would be essential.

Looking forward to Snow Leopard and getting a new iPhone later in the year though
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The $29/$49 price is indeed only available to people upgrading from Leopard. Tiger users will have to buy the Mac Box Set (SL, iLife 09 & iWork 09) for $169/$229.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I suspect two things:
Apple knows that the overwhelming majority of Intel Mac owners are running Leopard (Snow Leopard doesn't support PPC). So Insisting on a Leopard install is a non-issue for most.

Psystar type hackintosh operations claiming they are shipping the machines with a retail copy of Mac OS X: If the $29 Snow Leopard was a install over anything package these companies could say: We gave Apple the $29, we are legal. That way at least they will have to pay $169.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah. Does that mean that there is no box set for the $29 10.6? I was hoping to get iLife, iWork and Snow Leopard for an even lower combined price.

Shane D

Supporting Actor

somewhere buried in apples pages i read that if you buy a new mac from june 8th til Snow comes out, you can get it for 9.95.

and back to the pricing/full box option. Im' guessing there will be retail boxes that are snow leopard, but probably have leopard and snow in the same box or bundled together for 129. A also assume that the snow leopard is a upgrade disk, not a full install, or at least runs a os checker at some point.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
same. im waiting til i get one more gift card from amazon so i can put 50$ to a new mini. will be my first mac in 7 years and 5th total. can't wait though, my quicksilver g4 is getting way LOOONG in the tooth

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm running a 1.25 GHz PPC Mirror Door from the same time frame and while it still works okay; I've been ready for an upgrade. Probably going to go with one of the iMac models or possibly a notebook. Still juggling the decision.

Of course, Snow Leopard being Intel only is kind of the writing on the wall.

- Walter.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

That's correct, Ron. I just got a new ExpressCard modem for my MBP two weeks ago. When I saw the news yesterday, I contacted Sprint and I'm going to swap it out with a USB modem since I'm within the first 30 days. Not sure how old your air card is, but most wireless vendors will allow you to upgrade to a new card without penalty after 12 months...except for AT&T, of course.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm contemplating a Mini as well. I'd like to get (eventually) a new 15" or 17" Macbook Pro (to replace my 2.33GHz C2D, which still runs like a champ) or a iMac, but not before they put in the Nehalem chipsets. I think getting a Mini will tide me over by letting me have a new media server in a small form factor to play with until Apple starts implementing Nehalem and, hopefully, Blu-ray.

I'm probably going to get the cheapest Mini and then break warranty on it immediately by slapping 4GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200RPM HD on it from either Newegg or OWC.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Forgot to mention that I updated my gen 1 iTouch to 3.0 Gold Master last night. From a consumer standpoint it doesn't really seem any different other than spotlight, and if I wasn't in the dev program to get it for free I don't think I would spring for the $10 to get it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I'm not sure I understand your meaning. Are you saying that BD will completely replace DVD and thus Apple will have to support it? It could happen, but it is by no means a given. DVD may stay around long enough to see downloads killing BD as a mass market product. BD will surely survive as a videophile niche, but I am not betting on it beating out downloads as the mainstream video format of the future.

Shane D

Supporting Actor

same here. im going with the mini cause of price and dont really need a laptop. im gonna use the machine in my room and in the living room on my 42" lcd. i've already watched videos on how to crack it open and put in memory and a drive.

The day i order it from amazon, i'll be ordering from newegg, 2 2gb sticks, a 320gb 7200 drive, a cheap usb2 enclosure for the drive in the mini. then from monoprice, a mini display to hdmi converter, hdmi cable, mini toslink to toslink, and a firewire 400 to 800 cable so i can import movies from my parents camcorder. overall the total price will be cheaper than the high end mini and get all the same benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks