What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Why would anyone care the number of apps? It’s just a number. Big deal if there are a million iOS Apps, nobody uses more than 50 and the average person probably actively uses fewer than 20...

What apps do you want on your Mac that you don’t have now?

I personally haven't owned a computer in about 5 years, only an iPhone. But if I were to ever get one, and it came down to a Mac or an iPad, me not being able to get an app on the Mac that I currently use on my iPhone would certainly sway the decision.

I agree that it's not about the total number of apps. It's about making sure I can do everything on my Mac that I can do on the iPhone. As you said, I probably have about 20 apps I use the most, and right now a number of them are not on Mac, including the one I just used (to run my Joule sous vide).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I personally haven't owned a computer in about 5 years, only an iPhone. But if I were to ever get one, and it came down to a Mac or an iPad, me not being able to get an app on the Mac that I currently use on my iPhone would certainly sway the decision.

I agree that it's not about the total number of apps. It's about making sure I can do everything on my Mac that I can do on the iPhone. As you said, I probably have about 20 apps I use the most, and right now a number of them are not on Mac, including the one I just used (to run my Joule sous vide).
While it's widely believed that iOS and MacOS will eventually have full interoperability (but likely not become one and the same)...I'm going out on a limb and saying that you aren't the target demographic for today's Mac Pro announcement...:D

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm going out on a limb and saying that you aren't the target demographic for today's Mac Pro announcement...:D

I would think that could be said about most Apple users but how can you possibly know what my computing needs are?

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Video isn't online yet, so skimmed the highlight pages that summarized iOS 13, iPadOS 13, macOS Catalina, WatchOS 6, and Mac Pro and Display Pro (?). No mention online of tvOS updates, interestingly.

Things that I care about in no order:
  • dB meter on watchOS
  • iPadOS: all of it. I don't work on the iPad, but even so it's proven to be more limited in practical use than I expected when I bought one seven years ago. This promises to make it much more useable for web surfing (HTF), email, personal research, and so on. I'll probably buy my first iPad Pro this Fall.
  • Reminders and Notes apps on iOS and macOS. I use those all the time.
  • Photos app. I use it on vacation, so those updates for non-photogs like me are great.
  • CarPlay with split view! I use this in rental cars about monthly, so that will be great
  • Security Cam storage

Things I'm uncertain about:
  • Copy/Paste/Undo: Finally! But is it only for text? Is there still no standard, system-wide interaction for C/P/U??!?
  • Security cam storage: will it be supported by any devices that matter and that I'd buy (HomeKit has been kinda a bust so far)
  • How much of the new watchOS features will make it to my Series 3?
  • I'm not a Pro user so I don't know anything, but my reaction to the Mac Pro's new, non-standard GPU interface and 4TB SSD storage limitation was that Apple took three years, ignored their customer's request for easy expansion, and forked it up yet again! But I'm not a Pro buyer so I await being completely wrong on this.
Will try to watch video when it's online.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares about live WWDC video, the WWDC app has it - I am watching the State of the Union right now

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Their default (lowest priced, $6K) Mac Pro will ship with a 256GB SSD! We are talking way smaller capacity than the default 2009 ($2k) Mac Pro had, 1TB if I remember correctly.

The Early 2009 Mac Pro shipped with a 640 GB, 1 TB, or 2 TB hard disk. Not a SSD.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
iPadOS includes mouse support as an accessibility feature. That could be interesting if a 3rd party wanted to build a trackpad into a keyboard...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Early 2009 Mac Pro shipped with a 640 GB, 1 TB, or 2 TB hard disk. Not a SSD.
Right, SSD didn’t exist on Macs until a couple of years later. But two things have happened in the last decade - the size/price of spinning HDs has gone up/down. The existence size/price of SSDs has gone up/down.

But while it makes absolute sense for HDs to be retired in favor of SSDs for the new Mac Pro - it doesn’t make sense to start with a smaller size than was available a decade ago, as well as a smaller maximum capacity than was available a decade ago (which according to your data was 8TB (4 HDs) vs 4 TB now (since the new Mac Pro only has two SSD slots, vs the 4 HD slots in the 2009 Mac Pro - even though the two machines are similar in size and SSD slots use way less space than 3.5” HDs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Consumers should not install this beta. This means you @Ronald Epstein

upload_2019-6-3_19-15-26.jpeg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Consumers should not install this beta. This means you @Ronald Epstein

View attachment 59317
I learned quite a while ago to skip the initial builds of a major update (meaning the whole numbers, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, etc.). There's so much changed that they're always very buggy. I usually wait until the 5th or 6th build or later. If you're in the dev community, read the forums associated with each build. You can tell when a build is "safe-ish" to test by the feedback. Prior to this strategy, I had one update totally brick a MBP that was less than a year old. Never again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just skimmed Apple's website to see new OS.

Disappointed MAIL still remains as archaic as ever but everything else looks promising

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just skimmed Apple's website to see new OS.

Disappointed MAIL still remains as archaic as ever but everything else looks promising
As someone whose department employs hundreds of college students every year, it’s not surprising Apple (and others) really don’t innovate mail. Most of the upcoming generation of tech users communicate via text, DMs and other social media methods. Most of the college students we’ve employed rarely check their email. Basically it’s work who sends them emails. So with mail being largely for use in a work environment, most companies put their efforts improving other services.

For someone like me, it’s disconcerting because of how dependent I am on email. But the future belongs to the youth, as they say...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
As someone whose department employs hundreds of college students every year, it’s not surprising Apple (and others) really don’t innovate mail. Most of the upcoming generation of tech users communicate via text, DMs and other social media methods. Most of the college students we’ve employed rarely check their email. Basically it’s work who sends them emails. So with mail being largely for use in a work environment, most companies put their efforts improving other services.

For someone like me, it’s disconcerting because of how dependent I am on email. But the future belongs to the youth, as they say...

I think you are definitely seeing text replacing email as the communication of choice to the point that it's become it's own ecosystem. From the ability to exchange money to chatting directly with businesses... I rarely use e-mail these days...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks