What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All right, off to a meeting. Will have to catch up later. Wonder how the Apple Sign-in is going to work with certain social/dating apps that usually require Facebook login...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's funny, Apple goes like a 5-7 years between Mac Pros and then totally go overkill on new releases...:rolling-smiley:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If that presentation went any longer they would have had to preview iOS 14.

Can't say there was a ton of stuff here that excited me. The maps showing street view is probably my favorite (hello Google). I'm curious to see if that will be available in CarPlay.

Question for those who are a bit more in the know on these things than I am... do you think this means a Mac will now come close to the amount of apps iOS now runs, or is that wishful thinking?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Re new Mac Pro:
The bad (if expected) news for me is storage capacity. First, storage was not even mentioned in the spoken portion of keynote. Their default (lowest priced, $6K) Mac Pro will ship with a 256GB SSD! We are talking way smaller capacity than the default 2009 ($2k) Mac Pro had, 1TB if I remember correctly. And it could fit internal 4HDs, vs, by it lacking any mention in the intro a single SSD - not even clear if it is one of the user replaceable components. I was fully expecting SSD only, but was hoping for 4 user replaceable SSD slots. And of course they are not offering an Apple branded external storage device.

Still, there is one area of hope for user internal storage - those card slots can be used for *multiple* 3rd party internal SSDs - my boot SSD on my 2009 MacPro is just such a device from OWC. My hope is that by early next year they will be offering at least 4 if not more separate cards, with reasonably priced, large capacity 3rd party SSDs. While that won’t match the 50++TB capacity the old Mac Pros have now, they will get here in the coming years, and scary fortunes won’t need to be spent for it.

From specs: https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/ Storage Configure up to 4TB of SSD storage1
256GB SSD
One 256GB module
1TB SSD
Two 512GB modules
2TB SSD
Two 1TB modules
4TB SSD
Two 2TB modules
Up to 2.6GB/s sequential read and 2.7GB/s sequential write performance.
Storage encrypted by the Apple T2 Security Chip.

So they are in fact saying 2 as opposed to 1 SSD, but their max capacity is the same 4TB last years’ MacBook Pro came with with a single SSD. No word if they are user replaceable - but again, does not contradict my 3rd party SSDs on PCI slots theory

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Question for those who are a bit more in the know on these things than I am... do you think this means a Mac will now come close to the amount of apps iOS now runs, or is that wishful thinking?

Why would anyone care the number of apps? It’s just a number. Big deal if there are a million iOS Apps, nobody uses more than 50 and the average person probably actively uses fewer than 20...

What apps do you want on your Mac that you don’t have now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks