What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So I've been happily chugging along with my 2015 MBP, the only issue (which apparently is fairly common) is that one of the rubber feet fell off.

I had planned on skipping any updates until at least either the 16" MBP (if the entry price is at least semi-sane and not $3K to start) or the 2020 MBP versions. I have to give kudos to Apple because usually at the 4-5 year mark I am really beginning to get disappointed in my laptop performance and honestly I could go likely until 2022+ without upgrading.

I did have an experience yesterday that convinced me to wait. My work got a new fleet of 13" MBPs (maybe not the absolute latest one, but certainly a 2018 or 2019 model). I had left mine at home, so I decided to check one out for various meetings throughout the day.

Long story short: I absolutely hated the keyboard.

Yes, I'd been to Apple stores and Best Buy and had played around with it over the last couple of years. But 5-10 minutes fiddling with it did not compare with the experience I had using it as a daily driver and taking notes on it for nearly 8 hours.

Those who know me, know I'm a fairly "roll with it" tech guy. Been an Apple fan since my 2006 MBP. But for the life of me I don't know how anyone in Apple thought this keyboard with almost no key travel was a good idea.

In my ranking of Apple fiascos in the post Second Coming of Jobs era, there's the Apple Maps/Google Maps divorce, and then this. Whatever is in 3rd place is a distant third...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve had these two core “Dave’s Laws of Computer Buying” for over 20 years.
  1. The best time to buy is always tomorrow
  2. After buying don’t look at technology out prices for at least 12 months
I realize I’m over due to add a third law, blatantly stolen from @Sam Posten

3. Live by the rumor, die by the rumor​

I was hoping for a new iPad Pro this October. Maybe not. Maybe not. But the first law will save me in the end. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't believe the new rumor.

All we have been hearing from multiple sources is that the 16" MBP has been in production for weeks. It would not make sense for Apple to pull production to release next year.

There have also been dummy iPads floating around as shown on YouTube videos.

I am still counting on a PRO event in three weeks.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FWIW., there are no 10th Gen intel chips yet suitable for this rumored 16", so you are either waiting for spring or getting last year's CPU ...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FWIW., there are no 10th Gen intel chips yet suitable for this rumored 16", so you are either waiting for spring or getting last year's CPU ...

At this point, I don't care about getting last year's CPU.

However, this is out of my control. They are either going to release an MBP in 3 weeks or within 6 months

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I’ve had these two core “Dave’s Laws of Computer Buying” for over 20 years.
  1. The best time to buy is always tomorrow
  2. After buying don’t look at technology out prices for at least 12 months:)
I agree in principal with those two. I kind of modify #1 personally by adding "buy when you need to, based on how the device is performing for your daily tasks". As I mentioned in one of the other threads, a computer is always a "weakest link" device. For many, many years, the traditional hard drive was far and away the weakest link of just about any computer. Now with SSDs, and CPUs being more powerful than software needs (outside of mega-computing uses that most of us don't do) and memory being so affordable compared to years past, computers can last someone much longer. Used to be around the 3-4 year mark, my laptops would really show their age and feel slow. No longer.

For your second point: that's why I tend to buy any Apple device very near to launch date. That way I know it's going to be guaranteed to be "top of the line" for around a year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
These rules were much stronger in the ‘90s when Moore’s Law was in effect and Dell had a new computer seemingly every six months and prices were dropping every few months. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, uhm, if there is any chance for a 16" MBP to be released, this is the week for the event to be announced.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nope, if the event is to happen before the Apple TV+ launch happens on 1 November you have 2 more weeks of runway, until the 25th for a 29th keynote . If the event is November 2nd AFTER launch you have until 31 October

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nope, if the event is to happen before the Apple TV+ launch happens on 1 November you have 2 more weeks of runway, until the 25th for a 29th keynote . If the event is November 2nd AFTER launch you have until 31 October

Okay, so quite possibly we may have a little more time. However, a 2019 event still looks like a go

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Live by the rumors, die by the rumors. I have no info either way. Too many conflicts on the MBP for me to have an sense of surety when it might land. There's room for a fall event even if it comes out in spring.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Users who are viewing this thread