What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And the hardware rumor mill got the big iPhone stuff right (three cameras, body design), but got smaller stuff wrong: no bilateral charging, no “tag”.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What is bilateral charging again? Is that the thing where you put it next to the thing and it charges itself?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Although bilateral charging was apparently a possibility and was just disabled. But the hardware's there.
I heard on MacWorld podcast and a couple more places that that is probably why the Apple logo was moved down the phone to the center of the back. The gimmick would have been something along the lines of, “Just touch the  logo to charge”.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's the same article I linked to, Ron.

I do see though that you're right - the same analyst has since updated his prediction, now saying the Pro's will get the new keyboard in 2019. Keep in mind though that his prediction for the Airs getting them turned out to be wrong when they were released just one week later...

I'm sorry. I provided the wrong link

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/25/kuo-16-inch-macbook-pro-scissor-keyboard/

Kuo first stated 2020. Then he changed it to this year's model. Now, the rumor is back to 2020.

Just wanted to back up my research

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Although bilateral charging was apparently a possibility and was just disabled. But the hardware's there.

Supposedly not, ifixit misinterprets the hardware breakdown:
“Update: Rene here. After this story broke, multiple different sources reached out to tell me it's inaccurate or erroneous. There's no bilateral charging in any of the iPhones 11 nor was there intended to be. (Though, I personally have little doubt Apple has considered it - they're smart and rich enough time consider everything. Even if they ultimately decide no or not yet.)”

https://www.imore.com/ifixit-finds-...utm_campaign=social&__twitter_impression=true

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ah I see Dave provides a different link which says “probably didn’t find”. So basically people still don’t know but now more people feel it isn’t there. Gotta love people guessing from a tear down video. :rolling-smiley:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Last two late October events were announced and held less than one week later. 2016 was 7 days 2018 was 4. So it could be October 25th before we see invited if it’s really happening.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Current rumors I've read (iMore, mostly) are guessing last week of October.

I'm a bit anxious they're going to announce a new $1400 iPad Pro. These rumors it will be a three-camera sibling to the iPhone 11 Max is interesting...but a complete waste of money for me. I buy the iPhone for the cameras. I buy the iPad for the screen and apps, but never use the camera. I want to upgrade to the iPad Pro for more screen per diagonal inch, but don't want to pay a big premium for cameras I'll never use.

We'll see!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Last two late October events were announced and held less than one week later. 2016 was 7 days 2018 was 4. So it could be October 25th before we see invited if it’s really happening.

Oh, it's happening...or you are eating mushrooms, my friend.

Current rumors I've read (iMore, mostly) are guessing last week of October.

I'm a bit anxious they're going to announce a new $1400 iPad Pro. These rumors it will be a three-camera sibling to the iPhone 11 Max is interesting...but a complete waste of money for me. I buy the iPhone for the cameras. I buy the iPad for the screen and apps, but never use the camera. I want to upgrade to the iPad Pro for more screen per diagonal inch, but don't want to pay a big premium for cameras I'll never use.

We'll see!

I have the current iPad Pro. I think it's 12.9"

I am going to stick with that as I don't see any huge advances coming to the Pro line this year except the camera, which I never use on the device.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m on the 6th $329 iPad , which is a great device. I might upgrade to the 2018 Pro if a new Pro model is priced too Pro-like.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The mushroom offer was only if they introduce the new MBP as a press release, not if they would or would not have an event.

Same thing.

No event, the MBP still gets announced. We know it's coming.

But no worries...there is just too much yet to be announced for there not to be an event with an MBP and iPad Pro announce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks