1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

I'm not going to get into politics. But there is a trade war with China going on right now, and Macs are assembled in China. Q.E.D. it is possible there will be an effect on Mac prices.

Say you are in the market for a Mini, with somewhat better specs than the base one has now. Is it better to wait for the base Mini to get a spec bump – and hope the price does not go up? Or to get a higher-spec Mini now, and lock in today's prices?

I don't know the answer. It just occurred to me that – leaving all politics out of it – having an extra variable (tariff timing) in the mix might affect a buying decision.

2. Message #242 of 295 Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Presently, it seems the “kremlinology” of Apple’s desktop refresh plans is at a fever pitch. Apple hardware updates have been verging on catastrophic the past five years. But they now seem to maybe possibly hopefully returning to a rational and annual-ish update on hardware.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
    The Mac mini refresh was Oct 2018. I’d guess there’s no update, even a spec bump, in less than 12 months. If it were my money and assuming I don’t need new Mac minis to keep making said money, I’d wait until October. If October comes and goes with no refresh and I still can wait, I postpone until next spring when the next wave of updates tends to happen. Otherwise buy this Fall as best guess against need and hope for hardware.

As for tariffs: Who knows? I think Apple will take any tariffs out of hide rather than passing them on to consumers in the short term. But it’s all speculation.

Apple’s desktop hardware relies on Intel’s CPU refresh and they too are dragging Apple down. Watch Intel to get some extra tea leaves for your prognosticating.

But with that: Intel’s updates are pretty meh these days. A year over year CPU update doesn’t bring that much real speed increase. Unless you’re hoping a refresh brings the i9 to the mini.

Good luck in your tech investment planning!

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Winnah winnah chicken dinnah.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I just need to update Minis. I have four between work and home, one more if you count the folks. I've updated two to the 2018 model. I went with the i7 at home, and have an i3 in my office at work. Even though the business is "computer based", our computer processing demands are pretty minimal, except for some image processing on mine. So, the i3 works fine, and that's what I plan for the other two models. I'll probably just go ahead and upgrade one later this year, and another late next year. One of the current ones is a Quad i7 from 2012, so it can go one OS later than the others, which are 2011 dual i5s. I just wondered if there was any buzz on a spec bump next month. It seems that Minis have always been announced/updated late in the year, but it also seems that the old Apple habit of doing an annual spec boost on any models that didn't get an upgrade is a thing of the past.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    ...and what kind of chicken dinner are you looking for?

I don't see you having an interest in this year's phone if you have last years.

What else are you expecting?

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Chicken dinner was for the correct guess, not anticipated products. The updates are mature products that I'll adopt but am not dying for....

I'm on yearly iPhone upgrade plan. I will go from 19 max to '19 max.

Will see if I update the iPad Pro this year. I've upgraded every year so far...

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

What do you think the chances are for the new MBP to be announced that day?

Most rumors have been pointing to a September release, thus an announcement to be made at the event.

However, based on past rituals, there has always been a separate event in October.

8. JohnRice

John
    Ron, I seem to recall that Mac announcements have often been in October. iDevice ones have been in the summer, maybe spring.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    John, you are absolutely correct.

The only thing that is throwing things off this year is the numerous rumors (that probably feed off each other) that the new 16" MBP will appear in September.

However, even as I type this response, I did one more rumor search and there are conflicting reports. Some say mass-production will begin in September, others say release in September.

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Meh, it will be when it will be. It's not every year they have 2 events and there was only one in 2015 and 2017...

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    So, I sold my 15" MBP in anticipation of the new 16" model this fall.

Been stuck with my older 12" Macbook. Base model. 8GB Ram and 1.1 processor. Very slow.

Went into NYC yesterday to buy the newest 13" MBP. Nobody around here had the configuration I wanted.

I picked up the 2.4 i5/16GB/512SSD

This will be my new travel laptop. Still getting the 16" MBP and that will be a maxed-out configuration.

The point of this story...

I am using the new butterfly keyboard.

Hate to say it, but I actually like it. You can tell it's newly designed. It feels very different to the touch -- actually better.

I still think the scissor keyboards will be better -- especially if they offer more travel --- but I am somewhat impressed with this new keyboard. It really feels nice under the fingers.

DaveF likes this.
  12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I love you man

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Yeah, I know.

I love my Macs.

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Dumb question: but why two laptops? Is one an outside-the-home laptop and the other an inside-the-home laptop? I'd think laptop and desktop to get range of mobility and power. But I'm not currently a laptop user, nor run my own SOHO, so I'm not smart about those needs.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    No dumb questions here. I just make the dumb moves.

One laptop is for home/desktop use. The other is for traveling.

It's a lot easier to tote around a 12" Macbook than a 15" Macbook Pro (soon to be 16")

However, the 12" Macbook was really getting slow. At a base configuration, I was pushing CPU and memory all the time.

The new 13" Macbook Pro I just bought was supposed to be the base 2.4 configuration, but I wanted something more powerful with more RAM. Didn't want to buy another base configuration and regret it years from now.

DaveF likes this.
  16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Good on you, Ron! No judgment here.

Especially from a guy who just purchased 3 bikes in 3 months. The cheapest is probably the price of a well spec'd 13" MBP, and the other ones are the price of well spec'd 15" MBPs. Hey, we only live once, and we can't take it with us, right?

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. JohnRice

John
    I'm just over thinking things. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who hates the idea of getting a computer only to have a slightly better one come out a few months later. The fact is, the computing needs at work aren't all that high, but we do operate on computers, and need to run on a reasonably current OS, since we deal with PCI security requirements. So, a 3.6 GHz Quad i3 is just fine, and will be for a long time. There is one remaining 2011 Mini that is already limited to one OS back (10.13) and The Evil A has the base Mini for $699, which is $100 off. So I'm going ahead and replacing it. Then I can erase that from my mind. The final Mini is a 2012 Quad i7, which is compatible with one version later OS (10.14), so it can wait another year.

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It’s what we do here. :)

And why of course I wouldn’t buy any new devices from Apple for the next month until I’ve seen it there are new Fall updates.

19. JohnRice

John
    Yeah, I thought about that, but I also thought about the (not so) likelihood of a Mini refresh at this time, and the fact that if there is a refresh it's unlikely to be $100 off. Saving $100 is more of a benefit to me than a slight speed bump.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    If I were buying for a business that hand a number of devices that got updated on a somewhat rolling basis -- as I understand you do -- my calculus would be different. :)