What's new

WWDC 2013 discussion, June 10-14 (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Put out the Wi‑Fi welcome mat for guests.With the guest networking feature, you can set up a separate Wi‑Fi network just for guests. Use a different password or no password at all. A guest network allows access only to the Internet, so your primary network — including any external hard drive, printer, or other LAN-attached device — remains secure.
Technically speaking, I don't think that puts your guests in a DMZ. I always thought of the DMZ, when speaking about routers, put you outside of the router's firewall. In this case, I believe the guest network is still behind the firewall, just separate from the "primary" wifi network. I could be wrong about that. Also I believe this has been a feature for awhile.

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've got the current express and the current extreme and don't remember seeing it, but maybe.

Maybe it's not right to call it a DMZ, if it's behind the router's firewall but it's not on MY network seeing my devices, so that's win/win in my book no matter what you call it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Haven't they had guest networks for a few years already? I was looking at getting a new router and guest network was a common feature already. That is to say, cool, useful, but not new.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
(I hope mods merge these threads. I don't know why we have official and unofficial WWDC 13 threads. It confuses me...maybe it's helpful to others ?)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
(I hope mods merge these threads. I don't know why we have official and unofficial WWDC 13 threads. It confuses me...maybe it's helpful to others ?)
Welcome to my world Dave. This has been my position for years but the owners like to have threads that they can control and move stuff to the first post in. In the past the reasoning given for not merging the 'organic' threads (the ones started by regular users like you n me!) into the official ones was that Huddler and VB simply didn't have the technology to do it. Maybe that's possible now on the new platform? Seriously, I have NO EGO about this (hard to believe I know!), if a thread I make gets merged into an official one where the mods and owners can have their stuff highlighted but regular discussion doesn't get clipped off, everyone wins.

Personally I favor letting organic discussions grow into longer threads that cover lots of ground over having 30 threads to highlight press releases that result in zero discussion is a distraction, but on the other hand I understand that the ownership has their own needs and goals that conflict with that. The solution is simple: merged threads, but can it happen? I dunno. Do they want that to happen? Ditto.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Illuminating:
tumblr_moaff4PPp41ruw1vso1_1280.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some icons I prefer: Safari, iTunes, AppStore.Others, its a push: Contacts, Compass, Calendar (Helvetica Neue drags it down)And some... photos? GameCenter, wtf?It's going to be an interesting Fall.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Many look awesome on some backgrounds and not others. You might not like how it looks on your favorite backgrounds and love it on some others.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From the keynote, it generally looked great but we've got to see it in action. The blur I'm very skeptical of. Blur has never worked as a UI feature: case in point, the option to turn off translucent menu bar in OS X. But we need to see it in action.The biggest risk is Apple shipping early and buggy. They *have* to release this year, and slipping past Fall could damage hardware sales.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
On blur: It works great.

On HAVING to ship this year: I don't believe that's true at all. I think it will, perhaps even earlier than expected if ONLY the OS itself and not new hardware were the deciding factor. But I expect new hardware to be announced (duh!) and who knows what that schedule looks like. I'm personally ready for a new iPad (I skipped the initial Lightning refresh) and hope we see some cool OS features that support the new hardware but remain under wraps.

If I were able to confirm that I personally have iOS 7 installed on any devices I might note that the differences between Beta 1 and Beta 3 were significant and that it's almost ready for primetime use as is, but I can't.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ios7 is a huge update and is obviously Apple both evolving their platform, and also racing to stay ahead of the competition. The touted it massively; it's what's promoted on their website. To date, they've released the new iOS with the new iPhone each year. To slip ios7 out by 3-6 months into 2014, and not have that differentiator on the next iPhone would be a big deal. It could damage their iPhone and iPad sales going into the Christmas season. They don't *have* to release ios7 this Fall--Apple won't fold--but I'll wager they've got their developers death-marching to that schedule. I've read Beta 3 is solid. I don't particularly think ios7 is going to be a buggy mess. But it's a big update, and by all accounts is something of a late change in direction amid massive leadership upheaval at Apple. And pundits ask will Apple launch new hardware without a new iOS if its not ready. I think this is so huge, that they'll risk buggier software to get a full product launch out.Blur: in the demo video it looks ...dubious. Even worse as a UI 'feature' than blur in OS X and Windows Vista. I hope I'm wrong and its not an eyesore.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sam Posten said:
If I were able to confirm that I personally have iOS 7 installed on any devices I might note that the differences between Beta 1 and Beta 3 were significant and that it's almost ready for primetime use as is, but I can't.
Yeah, I can't confirm that either.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haha what is it about going from B1 to B3. I can't confirm that something similar did not happen with Mavericks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Have hardware requirements been announced for OS X Mark Cuban? I want to know if it will run on my 2007 MBP or 2009 iMac. (I think my MBP is EOL for OS X upgrades...but fingers crossd)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave, not any I see officially. Found a Macrumors post that said it should run on anything that can run Mountain Lion including "some systems dating back to 2007" but that's as specific as it got.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Carlo Medina said:
Haha what is it about going from B1 to B3. I can't confirm that something similar did not happen with Mavericks.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks