What's new

Wuthering Heights and more? Apparently, not the 1939 version. (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
From the Digital Bits:

"Now then... those announcements. Just in time to get ahead in your prep for the new school year, MGM has announced a whole slew of CliffsNotes catalog DVD releases on 7/24. No kidding, the studio is releasing Anna Karenina (1948), Wuthering Heights (1939), Of Mice and Men (1992), Moby Dick (1956), Lord of the Flies (1990), Jane Eyre (1944), Les Miserables (1935), Henry V (1989) and Inherit the Wind (1960) as CliffsNotes Ultimate Study Guide Editions, featuring the film on DVD and the corresponding CliffNotes study guide packaged together (SRP $14.98 each). They even come in familiar-looking black and yellow striped packaging. Nice. But you should STILL read the books."

The wrong version of WUTHERING HEIGHTS is noted in this announcement, it's the 1970 version MOST unfortunately.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, Jane Eyre (1944) and Les Miserables (1935 & 1952) were Fox productions and were just released last month or so.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
What a shame about Wuthering Heights!!!! What a sorry mistake to make.
Yes, I bought Jane Eyre etc. in April of course. I pre-order everything months in advance :)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Wuthering Heights (1939) is going to be on TCM this week. Their print seems to be decent so it might be worth DVDR-ing it.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

It's a mistake from the Bits page, I corrected the first post accordingly.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, pity about Wuthering Heights. I assume that MGM doesn't even have the rights to the '39 version, though.

I also assume these are just repackages of the extant releases of the other titles. So probably no anamorphic enhancement for INHERIT THE WIND, nor widescreen release for MOBY DICK. Bummer...

Corey

Screenwriter

Oh shucks. Oh well. I wouldn't want a prestige picture like that to have suck tacky looking packaging anyways.

Robert*W

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Thanks again - sounds pretty average, sadly, but the price seems about right...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
he 1939 version of WH was released years ago, along with John Ford's THE HURRICANE, but both are sadly long gone. Can't understand why these Goldwyn productions have not been reissued - even Bob Hope's PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE has seen the light of day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks