Wuthering Heights all-region DVD - worth viewing?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon_Are, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I have never seen this film and would really like to. Since there is apparently no chance of a region one offering in the near future, my options are the inexpensive all-region import - which abounds on ebay - or a VHS.

I've never messed with all-regions. Do they truly play on all players? Is the WH disc worth, say, $13?

Thanks,

Jon

2. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

If you mean Wyler's version ('39, with Olivier), the OOP HBO DVD was a reasonable offering for NTSC Region 1ers (I dunno if it was Region 0 or not, but it may have been), but that disc may well be overpriced at this point (I haven't checked the auction sites). Somewhere or another (I believe it was The Digital Bits, but don't quote me) word was passed along that M-G-M would be reissuing it (as they have a few other former HBO offerings, including The Little Foxes and Dodsworth), but that was a while ago; I haven't heard anything further. It may still be on the horizon, though.

I've never imported a disc, so I'll have to leave comment in that arena to others.

3. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I was moderately disappointed in this film as I caught in on TCM about 6 months ago. It is extremely inferior to the book and I found myself liking neither Heathcliff nor Kathy. With that said, it still earned a 7.7 rating on imdb. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0032145/

4. Bill Burns

Wuthering Heights (the only novel in the short life of Emily Brontë, sister to Charlotte and Anne) is one of the greatest works of literature out there, and one of the few I'd classify as a perfect narrative (the other is Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and there are libraries of near-perfect works, of course -- Frankenstein: or the Modern Prometheus is all but, for instance -- though such statements are inevitably debatable). It's among an elite few of such brilliance that I don't believe cinema has ever, or probably ever will, quite capture, or even properly suggest, their quality, as that which makes them great is specific to their medium of expression.

Still, I particularly enjoyed the Ralph Fiennes version of WH (framing sequence notwithstanding), as I think his performance (and that of Juliette Binoche) at least approached some of the truth of the literary characters. That one was directed by Peter Kosminsky. Wyler's (Olivier's) is weak as narrative, but ... it's Olivier. And Merle Oberon. Directed by William Wyler! That's enough. The film ommits an entire generation of characters (a generation restored in Kosminsky's, but not to my satisfaction), so it has little in common with the novel beyond a core (and still much altered) love story.

However, if we start encouraging reading around here, we're in all kinds of trouble! [​IMG] j/k

"People will read again!"
    -- Tom Cruise
    Vanilla Sky

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Yeah, I'm referring to the Olivier/Oberon version.

My question, though, was geared toward the import (region 0) version vs. VHS (or even catching it on TCM).

Not whether the film is worth seeing or the book worth reading[​IMG]

Jon

6. Bill Burns

No, I know Jon. [​IMG] That was a response to Tommy's post. Post #2 offers what I know about availability -- I haven't seen the import, but the HBO disc is good (not great; it's been quite a while since I last watched my copy, but I don't recall anything dazzling in its image transfer, unlike -- at the time -- what struck me as the beautiful contrast and print condition of The Little Foxes, but then I much prefer that film, so my level of interest may have colored my reaction to both; strictly from memory, I'd say HBO's Wuthering Heights is of at least reasonably good quality), and M-G-M may reissue it for Region 1 in the future, pending further info.

Hopefully someone else here has seen the import and can speak to that.

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Bill...

I didn't know about the HBO version, but I now see one listed on ebay - the bid starts at $51 with a buy-it-now of $70.

I think I'll take my chances on the all-region disc.[​IMG]

Jon

8. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Sorry about that Jon. My misunderstanding. I believe this has been announced for R1 though *EDIT* I just realized what was announced was the 1992 remake. So never mind.

9. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

Might want to wait, Jon. I had the OOP HBO release of the Wyler Wuthering Heights in my Netflix queue, until about a month ago when they removed it and sent me this email:

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Agee, that would be awesome.

Jon