What's new

WTH? Palladium Software? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone know how serious this is, or is it someones idea of a sick practical joke?
Legally purchased CD's that only play three times? Give me a freakin' break... I hope someone goes to extreme measures to fight this, or Windows XP will be the last Microsoft operating system I buy, and I will force myself to like a Mac..
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
It will never fly, at least in the U.S. There will be too many legal battle regarding privacy and other factors, not the least of which is the way that Palladium blatantly violates the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as shown below:
deleted remotely? said:
... and we all know how well that went over with PC types who almost immediately acquired in their own ways the non-registering corporate version or went back to a previous version of Windows.
Microsoft might be able to get away with this sh*t in other countries, but it will never fly in the U.S., particularly when it comes to issues that will blatantly violate the 4th Amendment.
Sadly, I have to keep political comments out or risk a wrist-slapping. :D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>And just who or what determines if it's pirated? If I buy a game then install a "no CD" crack and they delete it because of the modified .EXE, not only have they obliterated the 4th Amendment, but they also tampered with software that is legally owned.>

Exactly what I was wondering. I'd be VERY pissed to find out that Microsoft determined that my legal 3D Studio Max Educational version was labled as pirated, and deleted hours upon hours of my 3D work.

>... and we all know how well that went over with PC types who almost immediately acquired in their own ways the non-registering corporate version or went back to a previous version of Windows.>

I've already had to call them up 3 times in the last 3 months. Quick, but damned annoying. First time was when my MB died and had to be replaced, second was from a HD reformat, and third was from a new HD purchase. I really wish they could automate this thing online somehow, so I don't have to take the time out of my day to call up each time I decide to reformat my computer..

Mark Hsieh

Agent
What if I install illegal software on my laptop and walk into the woods blindfolded without an internet connection..will Microsoft be able to delete my poo poo software? :)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I guess we should all stock up on copies of Windows 2000 while it's still available... :rolleyes
I've avoided XP for these very reasons.
KJP

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Exactly what I was wondering. I'd be VERY pissed to find out that Microsoft determined that my legal 3D Studio Max Educational version was labled as pirated, and deleted hours upon hours of my 3D work
I've already read about the idiots at the RIAA who filed complaints against people only to turn out that they were COMPLETELY wrong. The one that stands out most is some kid that was sharing a picture of someone called Mrs. Harrison. The RIAA instantly assumed that it was a copyright violation of Beatle George Harrison, when it turns out that (A) it was a generic picture and (B) it had ZERO, ZIP, NADA, NOTHING to do with the Beatles or G.H. This is only one of many documented examples of how assumptions on the part of a$$holes like the RIAA are backfiring on a regular basis. Now, just imagine if they had the ability to delete whatever files they wanted to delete?

I think that what we need to do is print off a copy of the Fourth Amendment and melt down Microsoft's fax machines with repeating copies of it.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
By the way, for those who are not familiar with the Fourth Amendment...

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Bbecause a file appears to match that of a copyrighted piece of work might be probable cause; however, it certainly is not supported by oath or affirmation, and it does not provide due process to get a search warrant as is required by law to invade someone's private property. Microsoft is attempting to have the power to say, "Well, that looks like it might be illegal, so let's just delete it anyway. Screw due process!"

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I read on a newsgroup (alt.music.mp3.winmx I think) a guy posted a farewell message because he received a notice from his ISP that they were now using a packet sniffer and that as soon as they find one MP3 file to be downloaded from a P2P network his account would be suspended for a week. Second offense would get his account terminated permanently.

Using this means that no matter how many P2P networks are closed down, others will resurface but this technique will still stop one from downloading MP3s.

But I wonder if it mentions Ogg Vorbis files or even the most intersting thing is, how do they know an MP3 file was transferred? I hope P2P networks will just find a way to encrypt the transmission so these sniffers won't sniff anything!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I read on a newsgroup (alt.music.mp3.winmx I think) a guy posted a farewell message because he received a notice from his ISP that they were now using a packet sniffer and that as soon as they find one MP3 file to be downloaded from a P2P network his account would be suspended for a week.
Out of curiosity ... chance does he use broadband cable? I know that a lot of cable companies are nearly draconian in their treatment of P2P amd other access whereas most (if not all) DSL companies really could not care less at this point.

I'm guessing that since you're in Canada, so is he, but I wonder if that's a blatant privacy violaton under Canadian law.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing that since you're in Canada, so is he, but I wonder if that's a blatant privacy violaton under Canadian law.
I don't think he's in Canada. And I haven't received any notice from my ISP that just the mere downloading of MP3s could cause termination. The clauses in the contract only cover stuff like no abusive e-mailing. spamming, attacks (DoS, Flood, Nukes etc), the monthly download/upload quotas with extra charge if exceeded and that you are not allowed to run a server (FTP, HTTP) from your machine. I don't know if Kazaa/WinMX count as servers. But there is nothing mentionning suspension or termination of service based on content downloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks