WTH? Palladium Software?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Oct 8, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Anyone know how serious this is, or is it someones idea of a sick practical joke?
    Legally purchased CD's that only play three times? Give me a freakin' break... I hope someone goes to extreme measures to fight this, or Windows XP will be the last Microsoft operating system I buy, and I will force myself to like a Mac..
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

It will never fly, at least in the U.S. There will be too many legal battle regarding privacy and other factors, not the least of which is the way that Palladium blatantly violates the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as shown below:
    ... and we all know how well that went over with PC types who almost immediately acquired in their own ways the non-registering corporate version or went back to a previous version of Windows.
    Microsoft might be able to get away with this sh*t in other countries, but it will never fly in the U.S., particularly when it comes to issues that will blatantly violate the 4th Amendment.
    Sadly, I have to keep political comments out or risk a wrist-slapping. [​IMG]

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>And just who or what determines if it's pirated? If I buy a game then install a "no CD" crack and they delete it because of the modified .EXE, not only have they obliterated the 4th Amendment, but they also tampered with software that is legally owned.>

Exactly what I was wondering. I'd be VERY pissed to find out that Microsoft determined that my legal 3D Studio Max Educational version was labled as pirated, and deleted hours upon hours of my 3D work.

>... and we all know how well that went over with PC types who almost immediately acquired in their own ways the non-registering corporate version or went back to a previous version of Windows.>

I've already had to call them up 3 times in the last 3 months. Quick, but damned annoying. First time was when my MB died and had to be replaced, second was from a HD reformat, and third was from a new HD purchase. I really wish they could automate this thing online somehow, so I don't have to take the time out of my day to call up each time I decide to reformat my computer..

4. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

What if I install illegal software on my laptop and walk into the woods blindfolded without an internet connection..will Microsoft be able to delete my poo poo software? [​IMG]

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I guess we should all stock up on copies of Windows 2000 while it's still available... [​IMG]
    I've avoided XP for these very reasons.
    KJP

6. John_Berger

7. John_Berger

By the way, for those who are not familiar with the Fourth Amendment...

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Bbecause a file appears to match that of a copyrighted piece of work might be probable cause; however, it certainly is not supported by oath or affirmation, and it does not provide due process to get a search warrant as is required by law to invade someone's private property. Microsoft is attempting to have the power to say, "Well, that looks like it might be illegal, so let's just delete it anyway. Screw due process!"

8. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I read on a newsgroup (alt.music.mp3.winmx I think) a guy posted a farewell message because he received a notice from his ISP that they were now using a packet sniffer and that as soon as they find one MP3 file to be downloaded from a P2P network his account would be suspended for a week. Second offense would get his account terminated permanently.

Using this means that no matter how many P2P networks are closed down, others will resurface but this technique will still stop one from downloading MP3s.

But I wonder if it mentions Ogg Vorbis files or even the most intersting thing is, how do they know an MP3 file was transferred? I hope P2P networks will just find a way to encrypt the transmission so these sniffers won't sniff anything!

9. John_Berger

10. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor