What's new

WTF! Two versions of LOTR?! (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Check this crap out...
From NZ's http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1...714a11,FF.html
Peter Jackson told The Evening Post this week the special edition - "I don't really want to call it the director's cut" - would follow the release of a DVD and video version in August. These will be the same length as the cinema version.
The extra footage wouldn't mean more blood and gore as some Lord Of The Rings fans had speculated.
"It's all drama. There is this thing on the Net about all this gory stuff I was supposed to have shot, but I didn't. We were going for a (censor's rating) of PG13 and you can't waste time shooting stuff that you know is going to get cut," he said. "It will tee everybody up before the release of The Two Towers (in December)."
The special edition DVD is also likely to include the first part of a documentary by Wellington film maker Costa Botes on the making of the $650 million project.
So does this mean we can't buy the DVD right when it comes out? We have to wait for the longer version? I don't want the theatrical version! Bring on the length!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
So does this mean we can't buy the DVD right when it comes out? We have to wait for the longer version? I don't want the theatrical version! Bring on the length!
Who says we can't buy the theatrical version? Extra footage does not always equate to a better cut.

J

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
For this it will. This movie could be 5 hours long and be just as good.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
This way everyone is happy, tho
In this case, more footage means more of the book included, the way it should be. Me, I won't be 100% happy until every single line of the book is on screen, but the more the merrier, and I'm happy to sit at 99% :)

Joel C

Screenwriter
$650 million? I know the budget was high, but the highest numbers I have heard were in the range of $300-350 million.

I also agree that people are a bit too eager to accept the idea that longer=better. Look at what happened with Star Wars. Sometimes, the director gets it right the first time.

Has anyone else heard the rumours of New Line releasing new prints of LOTR:Fellowship? Apprently there going to extend the ending on Fellowship to show a bit more on Towers. Will depening on what happens at the Oscars, this could be true. Things that make you say hmmmmmmmmmm, or should i say my preciousssss sssssss ssss.
;)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Although I too would like to see a nice long 5 hour cut of LOTR, I would not be happy unless the theatrical cut was included.
As noted in this thread you honestly dont know what it will do to the movie. I have no doubt that Jackson would take every care to make the directors cut additions fit seamlessly into the film and uphold the integirty of the story to its fullest. But I am extremely happy they will be releasing the theatrical cut!
PS Hector those are not rumors..they are truth. Go here:
http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=32460

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
How come everyone cries when Star Wars or other movies are changed but everyone is now crying that they don't want the original theatrical print of LOTR?:D
---jay

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Apparently they're going to extend the ending on Fellowship to show a bit more on Towers.
Just to clarify: There are no plans to extend the ending of the film itself. The plan is to show a preview of the next movie at the end.

Although I know that's probably what you ment, the way it was worded leaves some room for confusion.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
How come everyone cries when Star Wars or other movies are changed
Cause it's new?

SW, Superman, ET, & all, are part of people's past. And they don't want their precious memories messed with.

LofR is fresh & exciting. To see more of this film would add to the experience, instead of 'take away' from it. Double true of fans of the book, where more is better.

IMNSHO [In my not so humble opinion].

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Two seperate releases? Brilliant, that's the best possible way they can do it and I will grab both without question. I applaud them for doing two releases, making everyone happy. August for theatrical, November for extended.....SUPERB!

Dan (UK)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Will the 2nd version (November) also have the original theater version on it via seamless branching, or will they force folks to buy both SKUs if they want it both ways? ;0
If it goes the latter way, then how much ya wanna bet that for Christmas they will offer a 2-pack with both versions in a box set? :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oops, double-post! What's with the slowdowns...are the hamsters that drive the server running out of lettuce?

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but I'd be saying WTF if there was only a Director's cut. I want BOTH!

Users who are viewing this thread