What's new

WTF is this online "convenience fee" when buying tickets? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I won't do it. It may be "only" $1.50, but these charges that don't even explain what they're for simply enrage me. It's the principal of the thing. I'll take my chances that a movie I want to see will have remaining seats when I arrive. Then there is a TCM surcharge if I wish to view THE MALTESE FALCON. What??? This isn't an IMAX film or a 3D film... it's THE MALTESE FALCON, which is for theaters the same digital download as any other movie. This is bullshit.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I won't do it. It may be "only" $1.50, but these charges that don't even explain what they're for simply enrage me. It's the principal of the thing. I'll take my chances that a movie I want to see will have remaining seats when I arrive. Then there is a TCM surcharge if I wish to view THE MALTESE FALCON. What??? This isn't an IMAX film or a 3D film... it's THE MALTESE FALCON, which is for theaters the same digital download as any other movie. This is bullshit.

Well, in regards to buying tickets online, the "convenience" fee is exactly what it says it is. It does take money for, say, Fandango to operate, or even a theater's own online system. It's not unfair to charge a fee to guarantee a seat and not have to wait in line, just as much as you can decide to accept or decline the service.

Not sure what you mean by the TCM surcharge? Is it an extra charge to watch a "classic" movie in a theater?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, in regards to buying tickets online, the "convenience" fee is exactly what it says it is. It does take money for, say, Fandango to operate, or even a theater's own online system. It's not unfair to charge a fee to guarantee a seat and not have to wait in line, just as much as you can decide to accept or decline the service.

Yup. I think online ticketing has become more important in the age of reserved seats. I'd never pre-purchase tickets online for a GA showing, but if it's reserved and likely to be crowded - ie, Saturday night showing - then I'll take the "hit" of the fee. Beats seating in the front row! :)

Members of AMC's loyalty program used to get the fee waived - dunno if that's still the case. Regal's club doesn't waive the fee...

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I grasp the technical argument that the online service incurs a cost that adds value to me, such that a charge to cover that cost and pay for that value is necessary and reasonable, but ... like others have said, I simply will not pay it. IMO, ticket prices are too high as it is, and $1.50 or whatever (usually per-ticket) is too much. Whatever value it adds isn't worth the fee to me.

For that reason, i joined an AMC club of some sort that has the benefit of waiving the online convenience fee.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you have a small group going to a premiere showing on Friday/Saturday night, and don't want to be shut out from walk-up tickets (for a popular movie), or ending up with terrible seats, the "convenience" of being able to order through Fandango alleviates the uncertainty for an evening out with friends. That's the value of the convenience fee. It's not for everyone, but it's a nice option to have if you're a planner of get-togethers at the movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, the onliine charges bother me because let's face it, the theaters added this function not for our convenience, but to mask their true intention which is to lower their labor cost while making more monies off of us.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had a funny thing happen with one of these fees.

I had ordered tix ahead for son and me to see The Force Awakens. Long story short: son was late getting to theater. Instead of sitting in front two rows of an RPX screen, the Regal staff was more than happy to move us into the next showing (smaller screen but 3-D). When they swapped out our tickets, I actually got a few dollars handed back to me. I asked why. At first the lady wasn't sure (because the ticket price was the same) but when she finally sorted it out it was because she was refunding the "convenience fee!" :laugh:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If you have a small group going to a premiere showing on Friday/Saturday night, and don't want to be shut out from walk-up tickets (for a popular movie), or ending up with terrible seats, the "convenience" of being able to order through Fandango alleviates the uncertainty for an evening out with friends. That's the value of the convenience fee. It's not for everyone, but it's a nice option to have if you're a planner of get-togethers at the movies.
Yeah, here's an example where ordering online is very convenient. However, if you order 10 tix, they are going to charge that convenience fee 10 times, not once for the one transaction. Tickets are already over priced. They could have considered having an online site as part of the cost of dong business, but instead consider it one more way to soak the customer.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
One of the great benefits of the AMC stubs program. No online fees whatsoever. And $10 back for every $100 you spend. And free concession upgrades. All for $9 a year. A great bargain.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One of the great benefits of the AMC stubs program. No online fees whatsoever. And $10 back for every $100 you spend. And free concession upgrades. All for $9 a year. A great bargain.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was totally loyal to AMC back in the MovieWatcher days, but I went Regal when AMC started to charge for Stubs.

And I don't regret it! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What are the Regal perks?
Until a few months ago, you built up points (each dollar spent there was a point) and they'd give you a free soda at X number of points, then a free small popcorn and finally a free movie ticket. Now, they've reworked the program where you can build your points up and redeem them for promotional stuff (shirts, posters, etc.) from movies. My only problem is that I'll never redeem my points because I'll keep thinking that something better is coming soon and I should save them for that.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What are the Regal perks?

Used to be something every 50 points: small popcorn then small drink then free movie ticket. You earned 1 point per dollar, but there were ways to earn bonus points as well. I probably average 50 points for every $30 I spent.

Best promotion ever: in 2014, they gave 1 bonus point for every $1 you spent on gift cards. Normally they don't give any points for gift cards, but they did that time. I bought $400 in gift cards that I gave to myself, so I ended up with double points in the end!

Anyway, they recently changed the system to be a little more like Stubs. The cost of rewards has gone up - without any bonuses, it's now $70 in points for popcorn, $80 in points for drink and $120 in points for ticket.

Which sucks, but a few new perks emerged. For one, points are now unlimited. You used to only get 20 points possible a day, whereas now there's no limit.

Also, they reward loyalty with bonus points for customers who go a lot. I'm at "Diamond" status - that's because I went 20+ times to Regal in the last year. I get 1000 bonus points every time due to that, so it should help compensate for the higher "prices" of rewards.

They also now let you choose your reward. If I only ever want free popcorn, that's what I can get. They also have movie-related "swag" you can get...

EDIT - damn, Travis beat me to it while I was writing!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I was totally loyal to AMC back in the MovieWatcher days, but I went Regal when AMC started to charge for Stubs.

And I don't regret it! :D

I loved the Regal program as well. In the few years I was in it, I built up well over 1,000 points and got several free movies and countless free small popcorns and sodas. Sadly, that came to an end when the only Regal-affiliated cinema in town closed down.

Now, I am a member of AMC Stubs even though there is an annual charge. I see so many movies (more than 100 last year) that it easily pays off. The wife and I have seen three free movies this past year and gotten the online fee waived many times, as well as discounts on concessions.

I've easily saved at least $50 or so, so for me at least, the program is well worth it despite the annual charge.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been able to renew my Stubs card with the rewards cash it gives you, so I don't think I've actually opened up my wallet to renew the membership for years.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think the convenience fee is more than fair. Reserved seats. Ordering from my phone instead of schlepping down to the theater. Even if it wasn't waived it's definitely worth the convenience imo.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I loved the Regal program as well. In the few years I was in it, I built up well over 1,000 points and got several free movies and countless free small popcorns and sodas. Sadly, that came to an end when the only Regal-affiliated cinema in town closed down.

Now, I am a member of AMC Stubs even though there is an annual charge. I see so many movies (more than 100 last year) that it easily pays off. The wife and I have seen three free movies this past year and gotten the online fee waived many times, as well as discounts on concessions.

I've easily saved at least $50 or so, so for me at least, the program is well worth it despite the annual charge.

Wait - you go to 100+ movies and think you've only saved about $50? That seems kinda low!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the convenience fee is more than fair. Reserved seats. Ordering from my phone instead of schlepping down to the theater. Even if it wasn't waived it's definitely worth the convenience imo.
If I went to shows at night, I'd pay the money to avoid a line, etc. but since I go to matinees and there's no assigned seating, they'll have to kill me to pay an extra $1.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks