What's new

WTF ECW on SCIFI???? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
What has the Scifi channel become?

It has been going way downhill for some time but come on?!?!?!

The Scifi channel was once a great channel with a ton of potential with the exclusives like Ghost Hunters, Tripping the Rift, and a handful of others but come on, wrestling now?

My opinion of wrestling not withstanding (it has gone way downhill since the demise of any serious competition like WCW) but this is like having monster truck races on the Food Network!!!! IT is that huge of a mismatch!!!!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What do you expect them to show...Star Trek? Earth 2? Space:Above & Beyond? I mean its the Scifi channel...The president of the channel Bonnie Hammer really wants to get away from that type of programming.

:rolleyes

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
As of right now ECW is just in a trial period on Sci-Fi. It could possible be moved to USA or Bravo down the road but for right now it will be on Sci-Fi.

And as far as wrestling going downhill.... I highly recommend you to start checking out TNA Wrestling Impact on Spike TV as its very WCWesque. :D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

You know, saying that something is WCWesk is probably not the best way to get them hooked on the show...Although the X-Division rules.

Here's what you do, you go buy the TNA Best of Samoa Joe DVD because it rules anything else on national TV right now.

As for ECW on Sci-Fi, what do you expect? I mean cartoon network shows live action stuff now.

Here's how it happened, WWE decided to bring back ECW and needed a network. They were limited to the NBC/Universal family of networks. It wasn't going to end up on NBC, CNBC MSNBC or Bravo (that was a long-shot suggestion) USA offered them a spot, but Sci-Fi offered them a better one. It is a 13 week deal but if ratings are good they'll pick it up longer or USA will reconsider and add it to their lineup.

But, don't worry if the shows are as shitty as tonight's was it won't be around for long.

Terry St

Second Unit
Here's how to make it work: While watching ECW on the sci-fi channel, just whistle the Twilight Zone theme to yourself and pretend you've entered an alternate universe where things that are strange and horrific have become mundane.

Er... Wait a second...

naNAnaNa naNAnaNa naNAnaNa naNAnaNa

Blu

Screenwriter
What is the future of niche networks if they all start to blend into the same network?

Look what happened to AMC and yeah now Cartoon Network that is showing live action movies.

Are they alll going to be different degrees of the same channel with the same shows on each one?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
It's sort of like how "Caddyshack" and "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" will be airing on TV Land this Summer while VH1 Classic is currently airing "Supergroup" reruns only days after they air on regular VH1.

I can't say I'm happy about either. I stopped watching VH1 Classic when they started playing 90s videos and then started moving away from an all-music-video format and I was never really able to get into TV Land, but it sucks all the same.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Cable TV seems to be collapsing upon itself.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

When has that ever stopped the SciFi Channel from showing anything? :P

Better wrestling than UFO or psychic garbage.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Noticed it last night also and said the same thing WTF!!! So many things can be showned SCI-FI related that can take up that space. Old time movies, new ones, just too much stuff out there that utilize that time, what a sad decision.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I don't think you understand to what degree of shitty this achieved last night.

The nicest thing being said about this show on Wrestling sites is that at least it was only an hour long. It was so bad, that hardcore wrestling fans might not watch it and if they don't ratings will tank and Sci-Fi who BTW, had a big hand in what we saw last night so they don't escape blame...can get rid of the show.

Hell, even if they didn't care about the quality and wanted to air it no matter how shitty it was, this is the type of show that can be taken off the air by WWE if it doesn't make them money.

This was not shitty in the cheesy, low-budget bad movie type way, this was offensive shitty to both wrestling fans and Sci-Fi fans. In fact, relatively speaking that was 1 giganticly expensive bomb they dropped last night.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ah, it has been four years since I've last had cable and I can tell here that I am not missing a thing.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
If we ever get to pick and choose our our channels, Si Fi would not make the cut for me. I love si fi, but other than Galactica, and Doctor Who i dont even care. Pop up ads, commercials every 4 to 6 minutes, movies like Bravehart, i could go on. Si Fi and most other channels like it suck!

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I suppose that when the inevitable comes and they do decide to end this (I only watched the first few minutes - the dead crowd followed up with the zombie (no pun intended) turned me off real quick) they have a built-in excuse: They turn Show and Angle, maybe even RVD, into moles who are being used by Vince to kill ECW/Heyman. Seriously, though, I don't know if this will be around long enough to play that out.

Any idea on what Angle and Show think of being in ECW instead of RAW?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Looks like Sci-Fi and WWE are very happy with how the show did in the ratings, with a 2.7 cable rating.

For those that didn't see it, last night a wrestler with a zombie gimmick was put on the show so that the show could at least have something related to the network. This zombie got caned by another wrestler. Originally, it was supposed to be an alien that got caned but the network didn't want to upset their fanbase. :laugh:

~T

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

There is a number of WCW like elements in TNA which is not a bad thing to someone who was a fan of WCW during its day. TNA does however have its own uniqueness to it that has me very much in love. :D

KyleC

Supporting Actor

I can comment on that. My brother works at a hotel and was able to talk to Show last week. He asked him that very question, and Show said "It's all f'ed up over there." So I'm guessing he likes being away from McMahon and Raw.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is very strange seeing wrestling in the "sci-fi" channel but like others have said, the powers that be from this channel are doing whatever the hell they want, without taking us, the viewers, in consideration.

What else are you watching? the local networks? DVDs? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks