1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WTC "Towers of Light"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dana Fillhart, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I took these photos around 7pm-ish Tuesday night, just as the lights came on.
    Thought I'd share them with all of you.
    --
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (The last one kinda creeped me out when I later reviewed what I had taken.)
    --
    Dana

2. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

Dana,

Thanks for the pictures. I was just about to ask someone in NYC to take a good picture to share with us. I think this is a very nicely done tribute.

Thanks,

Henry

3. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

My new wallpaper!

Hope you don't mind Dana.

Thanks so much for sharing.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Dana - yeah, that last one is an unfortunate result it seems. [​IMG]
    What camera did you use? A digital I assume. I'm thinking of upgrading my 1.1Mpixel and always take note when someone else has nice looking digital photos.
    BTW, I also hear that you, Tino and Ric are going to MMMMWorld. Couldn't think of a better bunch of guys to hang out with, too bad I can't join ya. [​IMG]

5. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Don't mind at all if they're copied, used as wallpaper (computer or physical [​IMG]), used for postcards, whatever ... just use 'em to good ends [​IMG]
    I took the pictures from the pier near the temporarily (?)-abandoned Exchange Place PATH station; there were news crews galore all over the pier, along with hundreds of people, many of them ameteur photographers like myself. I was lucky enough to get there early and grabbed a front-row spot along the railing by the river's edge, and had a perfect view of the Hudson and all of Lower Manhattan (and midtown, for that matter). Unfortunately from that spot, I couldn't get both the Towers of Light and the Empire State Building in one shot; I'll try for that another night during the 1-month tribute -- perhaps from Liberty Park, which is further south, closer to Bayonne.
    Seth,
    I have a Sony Mavica CD-1000, which is a 2.3MP camera that stores its images on CD.
    The low-light capabilities on this thing are good ONLY if you keep the camera ROCK-STEADY. Sadly, I did not take my tripod with me, so I had to use a railing for support, which didn't work a lot of the time, as most of the "low-light" setting pix came out blurry. The camera is otherwise VERY good; I took my Calif. HTF Meet pix for Ron & Company on it as well. The biggest drawback is its pricetag -- I bought it for (*cringe*!) $1200 a year and a half ago, but even now it sells for over $700, and there are newer models from other companies that blow that away in specs for that price. Still, I love this camera, and will continue using it until I can get a DVD-recording Camcorder/7MP-still-shot that's the ultimate in low-light situations [​IMG]
    As to MmmmmmWorld...I've no idea what it is, let alone whether I've been invited to it yet by the others. Maybe it's a surprise? [​IMG] Either case, thankye for the compliments :b -- I'm looking forward to meeting the other Joyzeeinz I've not met so far: I've met Ron and Scooter and a few others, but not Tino, and I don't think Ric (not sure; he might've been at Scooter's party -- my memory's not as good as it used to be, argh! [​IMG])
    Anyway...
    I'm happy the pictures are appreciated; if I find or take better ones I'll be sure to post them.
    --
    Dana

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

MmmmmmmmmWorld = Scores

7. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Great pictures Dana, and a bit eerie too. I can see the light from my apartment. Amazing.
    Off topic, I pm'ed you about the proposed Mad World meet. I know that Ric p has mentioned that he may go, but I have not spoken to him about it. Hopefully we can get a bunch of people to go.[​IMG]

8. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Eerie indeed. Ghostly.

9. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

Great pictures. Thanks. I can see 1 beam from my apt several miles away. When I left work at 6, I realized the papers must be wrong for saying thats when the lights would come on - it was way too light outside. Thats probably when the ceremony began.

10. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I am there for the MadWorld screening. You couldn't keep me away!

Great Pics Dana!! Maybe I'll throw one or two of the ones I took up as well. I have a little more northern vantage point.

Those came out great though!

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

These have to be the most poignant memorials I've ever seen. Towers of light. What a superb idea--and "the light shines on."

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I watched the lighting and taped it on the same tape I recorded "9/11" on (unfortunately I ran out of tape and cut off the ending of "America the Beautiful"), but I got most of it.

It's a beautiful, haunting, and fitting memorial for the victims and their families. I think I'll use one of Dana's pics as my Windows wallpaper for a while...

KJP

13. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Dana, thanks for the pics. I was driving home last night - south on River Road just below Guttenberg, right on the Hudson river - as they became illuminated. It was surreal - I had to pull off the road for a few minutes to stare at them. All the way home (west on 495, 3, 46 and finally 80), I kept seeing them in my rear-view mirror. Fantastic.
    OT: Tino, Ric, Dana, and anyone else interested in the Mad Mad World screening, please check in at the Meets forum and let me know. Link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...464#post517464

14. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

Here is another absolutely stunning picture (although it doesn't look like it has been reproduced digitally all that well)
    [​IMG]

15. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I love that picture David. Maybe you could send it to a skilled artist on the net and he/she could clean up the top portion to make it look more natural.

Other than the pixilation, it looks marvalious.

16. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Thank you Dana these are great. Great tribute to a set of building that I certainly hope they rebuild.

KyleS

17. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Thanks Dave, that pic has replaced "The Shire" as my desktop.

18. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dana. I was scouring the Internet for large photos of the memorial. Figures I would end up finding exactly what I wanted right here at HTF. You people are great!

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Dana, beautiful, simply beautiful!

20. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dana,

Those pictures are very good!

I had one question however- are these beams a permanant thing, or just for the anniversary? I assume they were just a temporary tribute for the 6th month anniversary, but I couldn't determine from the coverage I've seen on TV.

-Vince