WTB: Very inexpensive receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jereme D, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to buy a very cheap receiver. I only need it for my computer. All I'm concerned about is it having 2 working speaker terminals and being able to hook my unused subwoofer up to it.

Something in the $50 and less area would be great.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Where are you located? I've got a nice Sony integrated amp from the 80s, but if you live far shipping may be a dealbreaker (this thing is kinda heavy)

3. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I just happen to be from Georgia. I'm not sure where 'The Big Chicken' is, but it can't be too far away!

4. Matt Stryker

Its the one landmark in Marietta that everyone refers to. As in "one mile south of the BIG CHICKEN". I lived here for two years before I found it, then everything became clear.

Can you come down to Atlanta and get it? I go to Athens every two months or so. I'll get some specs on it and email them to you.

5. Matt Stryker

Ok, here are the specs:
    SONY TA-AX520 INTEGRATED STEREO AMPLIFIER
    (8-ohm loads, both channels driven from 20 - 20,000Hz;
    rated 100 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no
    more than 0.03% total harmonic distortion from 250
    milliwatts to rated output)
    Its got 3 inputs, a tape output, an EQ loop output, video switching (composite only) and 4 speaker terminals (stereo for A and B speakers). According to the original owner it will take 4 ohm loads with no problem, but it does need adequate ventilation (eg nothing on top) to do so.
    $40, and I'm in no hurry if it takes you a while to come down to Atlanta to get it, or me to come up to Athens.