WTB: Tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JohanD, Jun 27, 2004.

1. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Where is the best place to buy a tempest/plate amp combo? Live in CA for shipping rates..

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

3. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Looks good...

would you reccomend the PE 250 watt plate amp for 128.. or the Rythmik Audio A250 for 119?
    (they look suspiciously familiar) [​IMG]

I plan on using the AA Alignment..

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I think someone should do an A/B comparison of two identical subwoofer enclosures (same box design, same tuning frequency, same amplifier) but one is loaded with a Shiva, and the other is loaded with the Dayton DVC 12" driver. Everyone knows the name Shiva, but the 12" Dayton DVC was cooked up to provide it with some competition for an inexpensive bang-for-the-buck woofer. After all, what good is a high bang-for-the-buck woofer if you can't make the price of admission? There should be a side-by-side comparison. If one is the clear winner, we should know. Perhaps, just for good measure, we could throw in the Stryke SAE1204. If one is a slightly better value, we should know. And if they are too close to call, that would also be good to know, music and movie performance taken into consideration. While people probably won't mind the slightly higher price for the Shiva with its marginally-greater linear Xmax, the two probably perform differently for movies than they do for music. Then there could be a similar comparison for the Tempest and the 15" Dayton DVC.

5. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

The amps both look the same, just one has some mods on it? Will it make much difference if I use either of these.. or the 350w rythmik?

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I used the 250-watt PE amp and it works just fine.