WTB RFD-1 Demodulator

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by Lee_H, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to purchase a perfectly working Pioneer Rfd-1 AC-3 Demodulator.... please contact me asap... you can write me here or [email protected] thanx alot

i need one asap....

2. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

are there any other demodulators that do the same functions as the pioneer rfd-1...in other words hook up all the audio outs from the LD and it auto switches when it detects ac3 etc?

im researching a sony spd-e800 not sure of it yet

any help on demods and which ones are best would be great!

i found an rfd-1 but its japanese and i would hate to have to use a transformer just for that...

also...do the demods stay powered on all the time while plugged in, even when the laserdisc player is off? does that shorten lifespan? if so should i get a toggle wire with an on and off for it? or does the unit have a power on and off

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but are you sure about what you are doing?
    I made the deliberate decision to invest my entertainment dollar in an obsolete video system, and I went about it methodically; I've been buying LDs for four years, but I haven't had AC-3 capability until this spring, for instance. In fact, I got a very good deal on a decoder [RF, optical, or coax DD to 6 channels] at a home theatre dealer some time ago because nobody else would buy it, and it took me some time to upgrade my player capablity.
    What I'm saying is that you seem to be taking the plunge a little too fast. Maybe you ought to wait a bit, until you are really sure what you want to do? If nothing else "all things come to he who waits" is far less expensive than trying to buy it all now.

4. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

youre right im taking a crash course over the last week in learning about LD, infact a few people on here in emails etc, have been very helpful...the reason i added my question is because pretty much the demods are the only thing i hadnt discussed in detail with anyone....and ac3 modulation is something completely unique to LD in my experience so far.

i dont think getting a good demod and a decent LD player is getting in too deep right away. I tried the 200 dollar kenwood local store route...that bombed horribly (horrible picture, and harware troubles)!

ideally i know ill want to get the x9 down the road....i love having top of the line equipment or very good equipment of pretty much every format....i guess it might sound compulsive, but its kind of a hobby, and i love multimedia and A/V

There are some great people here on the boards, and ive learned more here in one week then i would have in a year with talking to people at audio stores here in my area. the only things youll see when i post questions are remaining things im not sure on. many of the links the people on here have sent me have been great as well...some articles contradict eachother, but with people's first hand experiences and cross referencing im very glad to have joined!

also i have an extensive de niro and pacino collection, and a love for the original definitive star wars box set on LD, that i needed to get LD, i dont want to purchase vhs for the deniro pacino old movies that arent out on dvd, so i get them on laserdisc! and voila im happy, and even if they come out later on dvd, dvds arent all that expensive anyways, and i have a cool LD collection still! and some things on LD will never come out on DVD i fear.

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

The RFD-1 is a pretty complete piece of equipment. Normally I'd leave it on continuously and I don't think it would decrease the lifespan all that much if any. Very complete set of I/O. The RFD-1 had a power switch on its front panel. Routinely the things still go for more than the original MSRP on EBay (one last night went for $280).
    I was thinking there was a clone of the RFD-1, but I can't remember the name/designation.

From a sound quality standpoint, the Lexicon LDD-1 and it's twin JBL SDP-RFD are also very good though they aren't quite as complete on the output side (I don't think either has an optical out). B&K DT-1 is very good as well, but I have zero experience with that one and it only has a digital coax out.

The Sony 800 and Marantz 870 were add-on Dolby Digital units from the early days of DD. Both have been used with nice results to decode the LD RF/AC-3 tracks and frequently will be cheaper to acquire.

6. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

also check out the Denon AVD-2000 -- RF, multiple digital inputs, DD decoding, and multi-channel pass-through. Really a very complete solution...

7. Lee_H

Lee_H Stunt Coordinator

all duely noted, thanx guys, will do some research on those models

8. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I certainly understand the motivation, and that you don't want to pay for unsatisfactory half-measures; but I'm just suggesting that posting "wanted to buy" notices before you're sure exactly what it is you want, is not the best approach. In the Hardware forum you can get answers to your questions. If nothing else, LD AC-3 is not a feature you're likely to get much use out of. Most discs don't have it, and those which do have a perfectly good Redbook Dolby Surround track.
    That said, the Denon gadget Gregg Loewen is selling will do anything you could possibly want, include give you more digital inputs for your reciever or preamp.
    If your local dealer sold you a piece-of-junk player, make him take it back. I think Kenwoods are Pioneer OEM, so if it's got a decent feature set you might have him repair it instead, and use it for a backup and/or starter player; myself I would avoid any player too old to have an original-equipment AC-3 jack, except a MUSE unit. What model is it, and what problems are you having?
    If you really intend to get into LD [and you may begin to reconsider your decision after a while] you will probably find that you have no particular need to purchase DVDs of titles you have on LD. The picture should be more than decent, the sound is typically excellent, and the upgrade to anything short of HD is not that big a deal. Of course if you want to watch letterboxed movies on a 16:9 display you will need a video scaler with an anti-pillarbox mode.