What's new

WTB: RCA Connectors - Best Value (1 Viewer)

MarcoP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
What's the least expensive and best RCA connectors that I can buy (best value)? I need them for audio and video cables. Who has the best prices on this stuff? I heard canare connectors are the best for the price- is that true? I have Belden 1505 & Belden 1694 cable if that helps.

Thanks!

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
Is this for audio or video? If video, Canare is your best bet. You can get lesser priced ones for your audio.

CJ

MarcoP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I need connectors for audio AND video cables. You recommended canare- who carries them the cheapest?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Canare is not cheap, but they are good and have the appeal of being a crimp system, which will save tons of time. However- to do them "correctly" you need to buy the right tools, for example I just added Belden 1505 cable to my list of supplies I build with- and the dies to make belden 1505 with the appropriate canare connector cost me $135. This is just for the crimp dies- is before i buy a connector or cable, or hell even the handle frame for the dies!

You can get canare connectors from most major supply houses, and the prices are within pennies of each other... I have ordered from HAVE and MARKERTEK without issue- I have recently switched the majority of my business to Joseph Electronics, but they are slowly pissing me off to the point that I'll probably go back ot HAVE.

If you're serious about using Belden 1694a and 1505f coax, let me know and I'll post the tools you'll need and the right connectors (although, again, to do it right you're looking at an investment of about $250-300, expcially if you buy the canare stripper!)

-V

MarcoP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I am serious about using 1694 and 1505 cables, so please provide the dies that I will need. Wow, $250-$300... Is there another connector that is less expensive but more work and same quality when completed as canare? If so, please list it here. I know how to solder, so that won't be a problem if I have to do that.

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
Do a search on this forum for Paladin tools. Alot of people use their dies and frames, which are a lot less expensive than the Canare ones. I'm not sure if they make a die to fit the 1505 (a or f?) or not. I'm pretty sure that they make one for the 1694a. Personally, however, I prefer to use Canare tools so that I know that it is done right.

CJ

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I've used inexpensive Neutrik solder connectors with belden 89259 for most of my audio connectors without any problems. They don't require any special tools because they are soldered, but I found that they do require a slight adjusting of the outer contacts to get a snug fit.

Sorry, I never tried them for video connectors
Later...
Rob

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I use the following for all my audio/video cables (with Belden 1694A):
gold crimp on connector at $1.80 a piece
Required tools:
stripper
ratcheting crimp handle
crimp die
Total: about $36

A coax cutter is optional, but handy at about $6.

Much cheaper than Cannare stuff as far as tools, and produces quite satisfactory results for my needs. Also has the benefit of working fine with standard RG6 F connectors for satellite/cableTV. I'm not sure how Canare tools do in the regard. BTW, if you do use F-connectors then I highly recommend this handy tool to make life just that much easier.

Hope this helps :)
-- Dave

PS. While all my links are to PartsExpress, there are other places (such as MCM) that carry many of the same or similar items. PE is just convenient, and I happen to shop there most often for this type of thing.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re going with soldered, consider these Dayton Super RCAs, also from Parts Express.

I have extensive experience making custom cabling, and these are the best RCAs I’ve ever used. The interior is really roomy, so they are easier to solder than most RCAs. I especially like the set-screw cable clamp. You can get them in red, yellow or black with cable entrances of 6.3 of 8.3mm.

Price wise they are not much more than the Neutrik connectors Rob recommended.

Regards,
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks