WTB: Onkyo SR595 or NAD 751

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GregSanders, Nov 13, 2002.

1. GregSanders

GregSanders Extra

Title says it all. I'm looking for an Onkyo SR595 or NAD 751. It must be in good shape, perfect working order, and come at a reasonable price. Let me know what you have!

2. JauCheeze

JauCheeze Stunt Coordinator

i have the onkyo sr600 if you're interested...email me at:
    [email protected] for more information

3. GregSanders

GregSanders Extra

Unfortunately, I need a receiver that can deal with a 4ohm/channel load. These two appear to be rare in their price class with that feature.

Thanks though. Anyone else?

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i wouldnt trust the Onkyo 595 with a 4 ohm speaker. the NAD, yes. Harman/Kardon receivers probably wouldnt have a problem with them either, but being a previous 595 owner i wouldnt recommend them for anything below 6 ohms.

5. GregSanders

GregSanders Extra

Thomas,

Can you elaborate on this? Did you attempt to run 4 ohm speakers on the Onkyo? I actually just found an open box model from an authorized dealer and ordered it; if it can't deal with 4 ohm speakers it'll probably be going back. Hell, it's even got a specific selector switch for running 4 ohm speakers; you'd think they would design it so it could handle the load.

Do you think it'd be any better if only the center channel speaker was 4 ohm and the rest were 8?

Thanks,
    Greg

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    the switch is actually for 6 ohms, not 4. it's never been rated for a 4 ohm load to my knowledge. the power supply and output rating of the 595 has been in question since day one, and while it wasnt nearly as bad as others in the same price range (like Sonys) it still lacks the power to drive inefficient or 4 ohm speakers. try it out if you want, but i wouldnt recommend playing at loud levels.
    if you possibly can, stick with NAD or H/K receivers for inefficient speakers. Rotels are also solid, but might be outta your price range. check www.audiogon.com for some good deals on last year's NAD products.