WTB: Older 5.1 "ready" or 5.1 receiver.

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by Philip Hamm, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The JVC stereo receiver I'm using in my rack to power my in-ceiling speakers is dying I think. Hey I bought it in 1982 not bad, huh? So I'm going to cycle my old Prologic receiver from the bedroom to the rack, moving my awesome main home theater receiver, a circa 1997 Pioneer VSX-D606S, to the bedroom. Woo-haa!!!

So I'm looking for a receiver for my main home theater. Thought I'd ask people here if anyone had anything in the closet. My requirements do not exclude something extremely "out-of-date" by today's standards.

Here are the req's:

* 5.1 channel
    * Speaker A/B for main front or second zone output
    * Either "Dolby Digital Ready" or Dolby Digital is fine - I have an old decoder I could use. DTS and DPLII are nice but unneeded bonuses.
    * Decent power
    * Very low dollars

I'm no longer a gearhead at all. All I want is something of reasonable quality (don't want ultracheap junk) that can do 5.1 fairly well. The room is gigantic. I do not like Sony or Yamaha gear. I love Pioneer, Onkyo, Harman/Kardon.

2. Bipin_P

Bipin_P Stunt Coordinator

I have an Onkyo HTR-500 available. $100 + shipping. 100 x 5channels and Dolby Prologic II.

3. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

I have a nice H/K AVR-75 with owners manual and remote, no box, for $150.00. The unit is in very good condition and I live in Burke VA. Thanks, Jeff

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jeff, the AVR-75 sounds really nice, and I love the idea of local pickup, and the AC-3 RF input for my LD collection. However, it doesn't have A/B speaker outputs for front stereo, which is an absolute requirement for me. Nice high end powerful receiver that would really kick ass for someone!

Bipin, I didn't put it as a requirement, but I need more inputs than the 500 offers. I have HDTV, LaserDisc, DVD, VHS, MiniDisc, CD (output from the whole house receiver), and potentially sattelite. Also, If the receiver doesn't have an RF input I need a 5 channel input for my external DD decoder for Dolby Digital from LD.

All, it looks like someone else has through email offered me a fair deal on a 2001 DD/DTS (not DPLII) model receiver which has everything I want to replace my 1997 model. (yeah, I'm real leading edge tech, right!)

5. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony that has everything you are looking for. I'll have to check the model number. Today is moving day (closing on my new house) and it is in storage.
    It does have A/B switchable (at the reciever) DTS/DD decoder, optical and coaxial digital audio ins. Has the Sony universal remote with macro function.
    I know you said you don't like Sony, but this is a pretty nice amp, and it's served me well. I'm upgrading to a 7.1 reciever.
    I'd sell it for $150 plus shipping. Let me know if your interested, I'll dig it out today and I can get you model numbers.

I just found a pic of it, can't see the model, but it says 100x5, so 100W/channel. I've never had it shut off, clip, or do anything else funny.

6. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

Philip,

how about a Denon AVR-3300?

LMK,
    Roy C.

7. Barinder

Barinder Auditioning

I have a mint condition Denon 2700 with all the original manuals, cables and remote. Used in a smoke/child/pet free house. $120 plus shipping.

Barinder