What's new

WTB: LD Player, Pioneer 703 or better (1 Viewer)

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I'm looking for something in the realm of the 704/703, or later vintage Elite models above the 59.
I'm not too concerned with AC-3, DD, DTS, etc. Wouldn't mind some of the capability BUT 99% of the LDs I have are older classics, from before 1960 -- so their sound is mono, anyway.... so paying up for sound quality is of little interest to me. Image quality, on the other hand, is what I am looking for -- without going crazy (ie, certainly none of those $1k + Japanese models).
I'm guessing that everything in my stated realm can play both sides without manual flipping -- but if that's not a good assumption, one should consider it an additional criteria :)
FYI: I'm mating the beast with an HD-compatible RPTV, with a good line doubler and filter -- so whether the LD player has a good S-video out is of no concern to me (I'll be using the composite out).

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
hey i know this isnt what your looking for but i have a 503 and its hooked to an elite hd, pictures great. It also does autoflip, its in the thread below.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Thanks for the pointer. Although I'm trying to hold out for something along the lines of what I describe, above, I might be persuaded otherwise -- and have started that conversation in your topic.

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
I have a Pioneer CLD-D702 in mint condition.
I have not used it for years and it is packed in
its original box. I have the manual and used it for about 100 to 150 hours. If interested email me.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Email sent, in part to learn what the video S/N of the 702 is. Guess I should also check on when they were in production. (Sounds like through the early 90s, things weren't ideal in terms of consistency/quality control.)

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
702,3,and 4 were pretty much the same.
The 704 had the added Rf output and all had the same S/N ratio. My guess is that you should find the 704 for RF. Thanks

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I don't think that RF matters to me: I won't be trying to do DD, or DTS, or AC-3.
Any way you might be able to fax me the back page from the manual that has the specs? (I'll send you a message about it -- and that this sounds like it will fit the bill, assuming we can work out the details.)
:)

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
If you are looking for the video S/N is not listed in the manual. I could not send you a PM. My email address is visible.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Nathan,
In California it is not unusual to find players of that class in the classifieds for $100 or so (sure, it can take a few weeks, but sometimes not). Check your local papers, and also check their online classifieds if they have them.

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
The problem HAS NOT been the price whereas trying to locate a player that meets his needs.
So, how the dollar value came in between is beyond me!!? Otherwise sounds like a wise advice.
Sorry but my unit is longer available for sale. Thanks
[Edited lastly by Mahmood M on July 10, 2001 at ]

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Doh! Missed that one. Ah well.
I have a machine right now, so I'm not desperate, but it would be nice to upgrade *and* save the old machine as a backup...
So, I'm off to hunt some more....
------------------

Nathan_H

Second Unit
(If this is an improper post, based on the rules of this forum, I encourage the administrators to let me know. I'll delete it.)
I've seen the 704 going for anywhere from $100 to nearly $500, with the low end being for a machine that someone has been using for a few years and is selling through the newspaper (yeah, it was sold by the time I called!), and the high end being for one that was still new-in-box. So it will depend on the amount of usage the machine has gotten.
A "like new" (not a very useful description but that's how the seller listed it) 703 just went on eBay for $200 + shipping. It's the pre-cursor to the 704, but has everything I want.
Let me know what kind of mileage your machine has on it and we can take it from there.

Jim Christian

Stunt Coordinator
The 704 is far different than the 703 as Sterophile rated it as one of the best.
1. I bought it new 4+- years ago.
2. I have played 75+- LD's with it.
3. It is an RF AC-3 unit.
4. I have the remote.
5. I use it once/qtr (with an iScan version 2 for 3:2) as only watch DVD's now. I am selling the iScan for $395, also.
6. It is perfect and sold with a 3 day not working return.
Jim

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Ah, I just found the topic where you're offering your 704 for $395 + shipping....
Why are you selling it? I thought the DVD/LD combo player (which it looks like you bought a few months ago) is inferior in terms of LD playback?
---
Besides the AC-3 capability, which it's unlikely I'll use, since I don't have nor plan to get any 5.1 LDs, what does stereophile say that makes the 704 different from the 703?
(For what it's worth, I'll be using an external comb filter and doubler with 3:2 inverse telecine, so the S-Video capability doesn't matter to me, either.)
Neither of the above comments/questions are meant to be antagonistic. I'm just digging for a reason to convince myself the 704 is the way I should go!

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Apologies on the combo player comment -- I misread another topic.
--
What's AGC?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks