What's new

WTB: Grayhawk screen (1 Viewer)

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Lots of folks seem to be upgrading to the Firehawk. Because of my viewing angle, I need the Grayhawk.

I'd like to find something in the 80inch wide size or a little larger. Prefer 2.35:1, but will accept 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 (which would be 91 or 92 inches diagonal).

Pay cash in the SF Bay Area (I'll pick up!).

If you send me a message here on the forum, please post a note about it in this thread, too, to make sure I get an email notification. Thanks!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Nathan if you'd consider painting a screen there's several easy to use grey paints that will give you a virtually identical screen to the greyhawk for a fraction of the cost (sub $100). If you're interested do a search for DIY screen either here or on AVS. You can also buy just the greyhawk screen material from AVS for a very reasonable cost.

Here's one such thread about the grey paint commonly used

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Thanks for the tip. I've considered this but since I'm a renter, it's not ideal. I've also compared several DIY configurations with all of the main gray commercial screen types (from Carada, DaLite, Draper and Stewart) and for my set up, even some of the commercial gray screens aren't great looking. But the Grayhawk sample had the righ combo of deep gray + ideal gain & wide viewing cone, for what I need.

Right now I've got a matte white DaLite. That versus some of the DIY screens is a much closer race, and if that were what I was deciding between... well, a different story.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
DIY isn't for everyone and the greyhawk is a fine choice. That said I painted my blackout cloth screen with a mix of silver, white paint and glaze and when I put up my greyhawk sample the two are virtually identical (I actually prefer mine but its very very close) Anyway try emailing the guys at AVS and see what they'd sell it to you at..the quote I got was very reasonable.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Still looking. Getting ready to re-do the home theater so now would be a good time to upgrade the screen...

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Thanks for the note. Alas, I broke down and ordered a Firehawk screen last month! :frowning:

However, I'd guess you'll have little trouble finding a buyer -- though 4:3 is not idea in many people's eyes these days. Still, with masking and so on, it hardly matters. Someone could easily have a "permanent" mask to 1.78:1, etc., if they wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks