WTB: Entry-level DVD player to replace PS2

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Morlan Liu, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Morlan Liu

Morlan Liu Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

I have a Sony Wega 27" with a Yamaha RX-V530/JBL NSP1's/DLS 10 subwoofer that I've been using in my bedroom and I'm happy with it except the PS2 DVD playback isn't that great.

I'm looking for a DVD player to replace it. I'll be connecting via component video and optical audio but I don't think I need progressive scan.

What's the best DVD player that I can get to suit my current system? Or what's the most I can get out of a DVD player with my current system?

I was looking at the Panny S35 but some thread said if I was using it for purely non-progressive that a RV32 would be better? Any other suggestions? I'm mostly concerned with video and audio quality, I probably won't use DVD-Audio, burned DVD's, or VCD's.

The Panny S35 has a feature to enhance the dialog on DVD's since it's often really low compared to the rest of the track and I was kind of interested in that.

Well, thanks for your help in advance!

Morlan

2. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

The best bet for entry level I would think would be a Denon 900. I'ts progressive scan with the Faroudja chip and if you shop around you can find it for about $200. If you don't want to spend that much I would recommend the Onkyo 301 which you can find for about $130. I think you'd be happier if you put up a little more $$$ and at least got the Onkyo. If you're willing to spend $300 you can't go wrong with the Denon 1600.

Good Luck. You'll fall in love with your first DVD player regardless.

3. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

I've got a very lightly used Pansonic S35 that I'll let go for $50 shipped. It is less than 3 months old and mint. I just upgraded to a DVI player so I don't need it anymore. Let me know if your interested.

[email protected]

4. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I don't know if your sony is a hdtv but if it isn't progscan won't mean a hill of beans to you.

I saw dvd players for 56$cdn about 35us at the checout at WalMart the other day.

Peter m.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Avoid the Panasonic S35 it has artifacts like flashing areas on menus. I see the stores are heavily discounting the S35 now I think its being discontinued. A new model Pansonic S25 has appeared in stores recently for around $70. I'd recommend a JVC model XV-N40BK however, its a bargain with a $20 rebate offer for under $70.

6. Morlan Liu

My Sony Wega is not HDTV and doesn't need progressive scan. So basically I want to get the most out of my system, if a generic DVD player is the best I quality that I will be able to see then I guess I'll get it.

But if there are higher end players that I can actually use to their potential I'd like to. So what do you guys think?

7. Morlan Liu

I just looked into the JVC XV-N40BK and it looks really good and inexpensive. I think I might be getting it. Is there any benefit to get the XV-N50BK?

I was looking at www.vcdhelp.com and the reviews of the XV-N50BK seems to be better than the XV-N40BK.

Well, I may be purchasing this really soon so if anyone has any last minute advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

8. Don_Berg

There is little difference between the JVC XV-N40BK and the XV-N50BK for the $20 difference in price. The video quality and most features are identical. The '50 does have a smaller height if that matters to you, it has a bigger front panel display that displays both elapsed time and track/channel at the same time, on the '40 you have to toggle between them. I think the '50 adds WMA audio capability to the MP3 and JPG that the '40 supports.

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Your original post didn't mention a budget so the sky's the limit on what you could get although there are some very good DVD players out there that start under $100.00. At this point, even low end players offer progressive scan (even though you don't need it)and would be heads above your PS2 for DVD playback. I personally have a 2 year old Panasonic Player that cost me around $180.00 and now players in the $100.00 range have just as many if not more features. Just stick with a good brand name and you should be good to go. If you have any VHS tapes or like to record TV programs, perhaps a DVD/VHS combo player would be in order, they retail for a s little as $120.00.

10. Morlan Liu

Got the JVC XV-N40BK and it's working great. I also picked up a Sony RM-AV3000 remote and have it set to turn on all my stuff on and open the tray so I just have to insert the disc. =)

Anyways, so far so good. I do have one nuisance though but I'm not sure if it's just the DVD. Anyways, while watching Heat there's a lot of grainy scenes. Is this just "film"? Try looking at the dark scenes like when they investigate the truck crime or whenever Al Pacino drives in the dark. Maybe I'm being picky or something. Let me know so I won't drive myself nuts.

I have the Sony Wega 27" set to 16x9 mode. DVD player set to 16:9 Auto, picture source Auto. Component cable direct from DVD to TV.

11. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Some DVD presentations do indeed appear grainy. "28 Days Later" is a prime example. As I recall, it looked the same way in the theater. If the picture was pixelated, I would begin to worry, but if it doesn't it is probably the way the scenes were shot.

12. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

The JVC XV-N40BK does play DVD-R/RW as well as DVD+R/RW correct? I may pick one up for a family member for Christmas. Who has it for the best price online, that you would actually deal with?

13. Don_Berg

Yes the JVC plays them all: DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW and loads them very fast (

14. Morlan Liu

Yeah, everything works fine. I was just wondering about the grainy scenes in Heat. I guess it's just the film itself.

15. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Great. I think I'm going to distribute a couple of these for Christmas to some family members.