What's new

WTB: Decent DELL PC from past year or two (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
My aunt needs a replacement PC on a tight budget. I'd like to get a DELL Dimension or Optiplex package system (Tower only, no monitor- could take keyboard/mouse if you want but don't need it) from within the past year or two.

Looking for something in the Celron/P3-P4 range, 1 ghz or better, decent ram-- prefer it have all stock parts, and still under warranty would be wonderful as well.

Since their entry level machines are like $399-699 new, I'm looking for something at the $400 or under price point. Just figured if you had an older machine laying around you got on a dell coupon promo- it could really help me out.

-Vince

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
OK, Vince, this is not exactly what you are looking for, but as it is sitting on the floor and substantially cheaper than your "top range", I will run it by you. This is $150 plus shipping, I have the orginal box.

I have a 3.5 year old Dimension XPS T500 (P3 500), 256MB, 13.7G drive (7200)... It's been a great machine, never had even the slightest problem with it. Upgraded to a 4400 last year (I am on my third Dell now), was going to have the XPS run my bedroom multimedia setup, still may, but if it works for you, I think it's a very good deal. Send me private mail if you are interested and want more info, as I do not come to this section much.

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

You can get a new Dell Dimension 2350 for $329 after rebate. Celeron-1.8Ghz 128MB DDR Memory/30GB 7200RPM HD, Free 48x CDRW. See techbargains.com for details. Hardly seems worth buying used unless you can get a really good deal. Good luck.

Jay

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Saw this deal (similar?) on gotapex.com last week, but it was over. Checked Techbargains and could find nothing about it.

-Vince

ryan davis

Stunt Coordinator
Dell has a deal right now for around $330+tax for a dimension 4550, youd have to deal with a $100 rebate though.

Dell Dimension 4550 Series: Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.53GHz with 533MHz
Memory: 128MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
Video Cards: 32MB ATI® Rage™ Ultra Graphics Card
Hard Drive: 60gb free upgrade
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

starting at 499 after IR
499 -15% coupon - 100MIR = cheap

Just customise everything to be as cheap as possible, use the 15% off code (i could give you one if you email me) and send in the rebate.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Went through the page for the 4550, and even unchecking everything i could find, it ended up at $779.

Couldn't find an instant rebate- just showed $200 mail in rebate.

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
Cheapest it has been in a long time!
Dimension 4550 desktop - P4-2.53Ghz/533Bus 128MB/Free upgrade to 60GB 7200 RPM HD, CD, Ethernet, XP Home, 6 months isp, Word perfect pack $499 - $100 rebate = $399 shipped free.

2.66Ghz upgrade only $20!
I recommend the "Microsoft® Works Suite 2003 with Money 2003" upgrade for only $15. It includes a full copy of Microsoft Word XP. Good luck.

Jay

ryan davis

Stunt Coordinator
I should have mentioned its in dell small buisness. Just use your name as the buisness and your good to go.

Edit to add that the link Jay_E put up doesnt have the free 60gb hard drive chosen, you might want to change that ;)

David_Wh

Stunt Coordinator
Vince

-Go to Dell.com
-then Small Business on the right side
-Choose Desktops
-scroll down to middle of page and click on "Choose Dimension"
-scroll to middle of page, under the middle system for $399 Choose "Featured System"
-Choose "Customize it" for the $399 system
-Use defaults for everything (unless you see something more you want) but go to the Hard Drive section and choose the "Free Upgrade 60GB drive"
-scroll down, Continue, continue, Add to cart
It should show $599 with $100 Instant rebate, use a 15% coupon that the other fellow offered you (careful as once you put it in the system it is no longer useable- be careful)
Cheap system with $100 MIR

Good luck

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm still missing something as I can get it to $628, but not to $599. Will go through again and try it later.

Thanks for the tips!

-Vince

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
On the last page (accessories), check to see if it's got a surge protector ticked. I just messed about trying to get a good price & I noticed that Dell were ticking it by default, it costs about $30... Without it, I've got a machine right at $599 before discounts.

Wish I had the cash for a new machine, as I'd *love* to get in on this deal.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I have most of a Dell Dimensions 4100. P3 866, 256MB SDRAM, motherboard, Soundblaster Live Value, and I don't remember what video card it has... I think it's a TNT2 or TNT4 based card. I've taken out the hard drive, floppy drive and CD ROM drive to put in my new PC. I'd taken the modem out too, but I have broadband now, so I can put the modem card back in. I don't think you'll be able to put a floppy drive back into the standard case location, because I had to use the case's push button to get the floppy to work in the new computer. It has 1 or 2 external 3 1/2" bays though, so a floppy drive could go there.

I have no use for this hardware, so I'd be willing to let it go cheap. If you're interested in adding FDD, HDD and CD-ROM to it to get a complete PC, email me and we can talk about price.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Got the basics for ordering that above deal, just need a working 15% coupon code. Anyone wanna help a brother out?

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks