What's new

WTB Canare cable making tools (1 Viewer)

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Topic says it all. I need the stripper and dies. I have a couple crimp handles. Email me or respond here if you want to get rid of yours. Thanks, Brian

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Bump for you...I've been thinking about making some more cables lately as well...I was thinking that we should set up a cable-making-rental-thingy. I'm sure there are a few people here who have all the tools and don't use them often...might as well get paid $10 to let someone borrow them.

Any takers? ;)

Good luck Brian.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I'd like to get a set of Canare tools too.

--

Although - i'm not really sure how useful a community toolset would be b/c in the end someone is bound to get burned.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Not really...I meant that someone who already has the set can recoup some of their expenses, and they very likely aren't using it at the moment. Whoever wants to "rent" the set gets to whenever the owner wants to lend it out, and then it goes back to the original owner in the end.

Seems like a decent idea to me, assuming that all parties involved play nice. :) You could use heatware/HTF referrals as a decision-maker, as to whether or not the guy/girl is trustworthy.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - I suppose.

But realistically, If I paid around $150-$200 for tools, the deal would have to be local or have astonishing high Heatware or whatever to have the tools lent out for $10-$20 or so. Also the wear and tear...

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Instead of buying the tools....why not try and get someone to make you the cables near cost (unless you are really needing to make a ton)?? I mean, each Canare connector is ~$2.75, cables are ~$1.25/ft (component) or ~$0.75/ft (single-coax), so a 3ft component cable costs around $9.25, and add $10 for labor and say $5 buck shipping. At $25 it is still much cheaper then you could get any of the monster stuff for?? It helps the guy who payed for the tools make some $$ back and you get good interconnects, just a thought....I would prefer this method to sending my tools to someone I really didn't know....

-Dave

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I actually was lucky enough to find someone on HTF a year ago who helped me make...4 or 5 different cables? They are great, thus this is why I wanted to make some more. I know my idea's rather idealistic, mostly since that I know that I myself am an honest guy who just wants to make some more cables, and probably some extras for friends.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, good luck in your search Brian. :)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Vince makes great cables. Check him out. Very professional looking for a fraction of the cost of retail cable makers. Uses all the normal, high quality parts, too.

Aaron

Andy_A

Second Unit
I, too, can vouch for the quality of Maskeeper cables. I've gotten about 9 pairs of interconnects, a component and a composite video from him and I'm very happy. They look and perform awesomely. I'd like to see some Maskeeper speaker cables. Now it looks like I need about 5 more pairs of interconnects. Anyone know when his next batch will begin? Thanks

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
I still want my own tools to make my own cables. This thread has been up for awhile now and I have pretty much decided to go ahead and buy them new. I haven't had one person wanting to selll their tools. Can't blame them really.

OK Guys, why don't you start another thread for Vince?

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I think Vince mentioned a while back that the forum didn't really want him to pimp his cables here, since they kind of compete with one of the sponsors of the forums. Maybe I have that wrong.

Aaron

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I'm not going to actively promote here, but- like any other company- members are free to discuss and suggest (or pan) the work and product I offer.

I'm just not into using the forum to post ads for my services- but I'm always open to people suggesting or discussing the service I offer. Sorry to brian for his thread getting Hijacked ;)

So maybe folks interested can email me directly, and give Brian back his thread...

On the topic of Brian's post- i think it is a bit underestimated on what you need to make these cables nice-- here's what I would say after building more than $5000 in cables over the past year or two, or at least what i have in my tool bins:

1) Canare stripper: You can buy the cheaper one specific to one cable type, but will probably find you want the all purpose adjustable one for $100. I know from personally experience if you wanna use LV-77 and L5CFB cable along with the V3-5CFB component cable from Canare- you'll want the dual purpose stripper as the cheaper one will require constant manual adjustment... And if you add Belden to the mix for component- it is even worse.

2) Canare Dies: Again, you can buy one set for All the 5CFB cable and LV77 stuff, but if you're looking to do the Belden coaxes (1694 or 7710a) then you will need a different die set (although some will suggest otherwise- you need smaller die for the connectors for Belden). I've found having 2 pairs of each is handy, but not necessary. At the very least, expect to have to shim the dies in the crimp handle to get REAL good tight crimps.

3) Crimp handle: The Canare one is stupid expensive- buy the cheap one from parts express- but know you will have to play around with shimming the dies to get good crimps. You won't wanna keep swapping dies- so if you plan to use 2 die sets (like for Belden cable), better get a second crimp handle.

4) Depth gauge: Used for setting the blades correctly and making specific measurements and adjustments. Also helpful for cutting uniform heatshrink lengths for color coding your tips.

5) 10 foot light weight measuring tape: A bulky metal one SUCKS for trying to measure out 35 foot long runs- I prefer a winding cloth tape or a lighter weight smaller measuring tape.

6) Small Ruler: For measuring random stuff, like stripping back V3 component cable for the fan out-- much easier to deal with a small 12 inch ruler than a tape in this situations.

7) Multilevel heat Gun: If you use Techflex or like color coding your ends, heatshrink tube is a must- and a good heatgun (like a hairdryer on steroids) is needed.

8) Small crescent Cutters: I'd buy 3-4 pairs, as the dull out quickly and result in crushing of cable. A nice crescent shaped blade leads to more even cutting- Parts express has a small pair cheap (red handles).

9) Large crescent Cutters: The small ones won't do V3-5CFB component cable very well, so go to home depot and pickup 1-2 pairs of these at $15 a pop.

10) A couple small bladed screwdrivers: I don't like to touch the inside of the cables once they are stripped, so I use a small, flat bladed screwdriver to fan back the braided sleeve before applying the connector- having 2 of these on hand will make a big difference and save you a ton of work.

11) Bench Hot Knife: A little contraption for cutting techflex without fraying. You can get away with scissors, but expect ends to fray on the roll, or on the cable- and have heatshrink tube to cover up the rough ends on your finished cables.

12) Organizational system for cable spools and techflex spools and supplies: I actually use milk crates with a dowel rod between them- the techflex spools are kept inside the milk crates on a rod and the cable spools are kept on a heavy rod between two sets of crates- works OK, but SOMETHING will be needed if you plan to build enough to make buying tools worthwhile.

132) Extra stripper/Razor Knife: For cleaning up the occassional bad strip-- I found a little razor stripper device at home depot for $5 which helps when the $100 canare one doesnt quite do its job.

14) Sharp Scissors: Comes up all the time, cutting heat shrink, trimming foil sleeving inside cable, etc. Also, Canare V3 cable has runs of heavy twine inside that have to be cut away when you strip it back- and sharp scissors are needed (belden uses this wierd plastic wrapping stuff that also must be cut). A nice, solid pair of sharp scissors, avoid the cheapo walmart office variety, you'll thank me later.

15) Needle Nose Piars: Again, something you just end up needing from time to time (specifically to straighten the little numb on 5CFB after it is stripped, without using your fingers, or straightening the pin for the connector once it's been crimped before it's slid into the connector body).

16) A deluxe cable tester- I have 2 different ones, but Behringer makes a nice cheap one that does everything you'll need (including a memory function that lights up if the connection is broken, if even for a millisecond).

176) A testing meter: If you care at all about insuring proper impedance- having a meter to test is necessary. Although most cables come out correct- sometimes you get an oddball connector that measures wrong, and will drive you up a wall when you get it in your system!

And that is just the basic stuff I use EVERYTIME I build cables-- let alone the tings I have to pull out once in a while (i.e. Soldering Iron and helping hands for doing XLR lines).

-Vince

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Thanks Vince for the breakdown. I have just about everything on your list with the exception of the testers.

And in a few days I will have the TS100 stripper and a couple of die sets, along with a bunch of connectors and cable!

If anyone else is thinking about getting their tools www.markertek.com has the cheapest prices I could find.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
try www.josephelectronics.com for canare products. they don't have prices listed on the website, but give them a call. most connectors are cheaper, and you can get cut cable for the same price per foot (or cheaper) as a full spool at markertek.

standard disclaimer:i'm not affiliated with Joseph Electronics in any way except as a customer.:)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Sure- have at... although you might wanna expand/clean up some of it- it was a bit off the cuff.

As far as purchasing, I use Joseph for tools (specifically Dies) and Have Inc for supplies (except PET Techflex, which I'm convinced Markertek has priced incorrectly, as they are cheaper than ANYONE). Have is great, although they only wanna deal with you if you're buying large qt (Like 250 feet or more).

You can get the cable tester, btw, at any guitar center. Ask for the Behringer CT100--- it's a snappy little tester.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks