What's new

WTB: Bose Acoustimas sub or set (1 Viewer)

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
OK, here is my plan, I have a set of Focal 5" subs. I want to get the bose sub box and replace the bose subs. I am dying to know if it'll sound good. Thats the only reason I want them. I really don't want the set, just the sub. If my experiment doen't work, I'll put the (better of with somethinf else ) BOSE 5's back in and sell it.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Even if you get the drivers swapped, it won't do you much good. The Acoustimass module is only made to with with the cube speakers. It is not meant to be hooked up with other speakers. The Acoustimass module has all the crossovers and power management for the cubes built in, not to mention the proprietary connectors. It would be cheaper to build a box from scratch.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am just curious. I have a really nice coil I was planning on useing. I will try it, it doen't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, I'll put it back together and give it to m dad.

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
I did what you had the idea of doing about 4 years ago. The only problem is that the switching relay fries after about 6 months and it is in the circuitry on the amp board. I used to have the pinouts for the din connector but had lost them. It was NOT easy to do. I had to also use a line-level convertor to convert speaker level to the input needed for the Bose. Again not worth the $$ or trouble. You will NOT be able to get it to work right afterwards. You have to CUT the wire on the amp board.

Sorry for the OT but do not want a fellow HTF'er to waste their money.

Mark

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmm Donald.. I do have a Bose Sub sat without the speaker. a local store had them stolen a while back and I just bought the sub. Now this is not one of the newer ones, but one of the old ones with 2 port holes. I think it dates back almost 10 years now. I got it about 6 years ago.

I have tried it out to help improve the base with my JBL LX 22 and it sounded great, bever had a problem with it. recently I tried out a pair of Boston accoustics Micro 90 on them.. Still nothing wrong at all with the sound of it.

Never blew anything at all on it actually. I love the protective circut in it. If you put to much power into it, and you close the light, you actually see the light bulb they put in there to help protect the drivers. The brighter the bulb, the more the power is absorbed, so tone it down. once again I never brought it to the point of having anything happen to it.

So MArk you may have had a newer series then I for a sub, maybe the newer ones are as you say crossed over and everything.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
I don't plan on using a powered sub. I am going to use it strickly as a sub. I want to hear how clean I can get the Focal 5's to sound in the bose box. If, for some strange reason the sub sounds good, I will use it for a bedroom system sub or maybe a center sub. Steph, are you interested in selling them? What model do you have?
One experiment. 6 Focal 5" subs, One of the cleanest an fastest sub I have heard. Nothing under $3000 is as fast as these IMO. And the play pretty low and loud. Not like a 12" velodyne HGS-12 sub loud, but it plays loud. More for music the movies.
focal.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks