WTB : 27" TV in GTA area

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by Neil B, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Neil B

Neil B Auditioning

Looking for anykind of 27" TV or larger. Something you might have laying around when you upgraded to that bigger tv. Doesn't really matter what it is as I am a student. Thanks.

2. Neil B

Neil B Auditioning

Anyone??

3. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

I AM FROM DALLAS, AND I HAVE A 27" SONY WEGA.
    I AM LOOKING TO SELL IT FOR $350 FIRM.

4. Neil B

Neil B Auditioning

nice price, but shipping would ruin the cost of the tv alone...thanks for the offer!

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Not so much shipping as taxes+duty+brokerage+tax on brokerage+COD fee+tax on COD fee...etc etc... [​IMG]

6. Neil B

Neil B Auditioning

Thats true too!!...Awhile ago I bought some home theatre stuff from a company, the final price ended up being twice what it was originally. Seems like its usually cheaper to buy local.

Drew - Would you happen to know anyone with an old 27" and up tv they're willing to part with?[​IMG] [​IMG]

If not, I was planning on saving up and buying the RCA 27R430T from futureshop. Right now I have a very very old rca with only rf input[​IMG]. I'm just looking for something with s-video, so I can watch my dvd's again.

7. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Neil,

I suggest another brand than RCA...and another dealer than FS. For a direct view TV, I recommend either JVC (preferably D-series) or Toshiba. Either brand will probably be CDN$400 or so for a 27" (fairly flat, but not perfect).

Check out your local Costco....but make sure that you check out the length & term of your warranty. They have a great return policy in case that you don't like your new TV.

Dave

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Future Shop is OK. So is Best Buy. Just don't get suckered into this whole extended warranty nonsense. You pay like 25% of the price of the TV for it anyways, what a waste.

They'll match anyone's prices though, including Costco, so shop around. Also, hunt for Open Box stuff...always good value in those, and the price is more negotiable on those (and on Clearance items too..I heard FS employees get full commission on clearance stuff if they sell it). Markup on TVs though isn't very high (~20%) so finding a good deal might not be easy.

Try e-bay too, there are a number of local clearance warehouse places selling TVs.

9. Neil B

Neil B Auditioning

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it so much. After doing some research, my gf and I have decided on the Prima Q2716 27" Virtually Flat Screen TV from Futureshop.

Although I haven't heard of this brand before, it seems like they are very popular in China and are just starting off in North America. 2 of my friends have their curve-screen 27", it looks awesome to me when I saw it in person. Its $100off right now too, so kudo's to that. Anyway, I'll let you guys know in a couple days how I like it and hopefully with no problems[​IMG]

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I think that'll do nicely for the next few years as the ATSC standard comes into primetime, and HDTVs drop dramatically in price. [​IMG]

11. Neil B

Neil B Auditioning

Drew, thats exactly what I'm doing. Frankly, I don't want the tv to last me 10 years, if I did, I would save up and get a Sony WEGA or something with a reputation.

I really really want a 16:9 Direct-view HDTV or front projection. Right now, thats out of my jurisdiction. I'm in no rush since my gf and I are starting out in our new apartment and I'm still a young lad(22) but both of us love watching the dvd's.Like you said, I'll wait till the HDTV market drops in price[​IMG].

Btw, one quick question if you don't mind. Do you where I'll be able to find the Video Essentials CD locally?. I live in Mississauga. Radioshack has disc cleaner/calibration cd's coupled together but I'm not sure how accurate these are. Most TV's come from factory with contrast pumped up to the max, which resides in a captivating image but isn't accurate. Anyway, sorry about my babbling. Thanks again for the help Drew

12. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Neil,
    If you are still in need of a 27" TV, I have a 27" Sony Wega that I had purchased new from Circuit City two years ago. I just purchased a 57" Sony RPTV and no longer need the Wega. If you want the Wega, you can have it for $ 200.00 plus shipping. You may call me if you like to discuss this.

Best Regards, Al. Wise
    (978)265-5641

13. Neil B

Neil B Auditioning

check your pm alan

14. Alan Wise

Neil,
    I sent you a PM reply.

Also, I have the manual, and remote for the TV.
    Actually, I bet I can dig up my original purchase receipt from Circuit City if you would like it.

Al.

15. Alan Wise

Neil,
    In case you did not get my PM (I did not receive any system acknowledgement that it was sent, here is what it said:

Shipping from Methuen, MA (01844) to your address is $ 80.00 for UPS Standard.
    I do not believe that this would include any duties if applicable.
    However, for $ 40.00 in gasoline funding I would be willing to meet you half way (Utica, NY. ?. If you put the Wega in your car and cross the border, can you avoid the duties?
    Would you need a letter stating that it was a gift?

Either way works for me. Selling the Wega will allow me to put the money towards a new receiver that I want.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

16. Ben Hanrahan

Ben Hanrahan Stunt Coordinator

If noboady else wants it, I'll take it. And I'd also meet you in Utica to pick it up.

Ben

You can reach me at benareeno at hotmail.com

17. Alan Wise

Ben,
    Thanks for the interest in the WEGA.

However, I have promised it to Neil, and unless he decides otherwise, it is his.

Thanks again, Al. Wise