WTB: 17" LCD Monitor, 27" Flat TV, Denon 4802 Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Keep, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Phil Keep

Phil Keep Stunt Coordinator

As is pretty obvious in the post...I am looking for the following...
    17" LCD Monitor...cheapest new price I have seen is $350 on tigerdirect...must be cheaper
    27" TV- basically looking for someone who is going bigger...as I am actually going smaller. MUST HAVE COMPONENT INPUTS...cheapest $350...CC.com
    Denon 4802...less than $800...I have a used electronics store that told me the next one they get is mine at $700...but I want it now.
    Please let me know,
    Philip
    [email protected]

2. Dave_Dunk

Dave_Dunk Auditioning

a 4802 for $700? Yeah right....

3. Alex.D

Alex.D Agent

Beware inexpensive LCD monitors... Viewsonic had a low-priced DVI-only line for a while, those were excellent. New cheap LCD's have very very very crappy ADC converters. I speak from personal experience - they take 3-4 tries to "lock on" when you do an auto adjustment, they're still blurry, and have ringing around high-contrast edges.

A digital display such as an LCD is happiest with a DVI signal from a video card.. that way, the DACs are the individual LCD pixels right in front of your eyes. But you need a DVI video card and a DVI input on the monitor. AFAIK, no cheapie LCD's have DVI's, which is a shame, since modern video cards all have DVI's, and you can build an ADC-less screen much cheaper.. $250 would be a good guess for an entry-level digital 17"..

4. Phil Keep

Phil Keep Stunt Coordinator

the lcd is due to lack of space, but thanks for the info. The digital monitor you speak of is a projection monitor I assume? If not, where can I get one for $250

5. Alex.D

Alex.D Agent

No, I'm saying that if it's possible to build an analog-input LCD for $350, IF there was a digital-input cheap LCD, it'd be about $250 now.

AFAIK, Viewsonic briefly flirted with DVI-only LCD's, and they were fantastic - just crystal-clear, since each pixel was individually driven by the video card. The ADC needed to go from an analog DSUB output to the digital signal required by the LCD tacks on at least $100 to the price, and most cheap LCD's, again, look like crap.