WSR reviews The Phantom Menace.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mario_C, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Mario_C

Mario_C Stunt Coordinator

It received 4/5 for picture, and 5/5 for sound. Susane Hodges says that the DVD has a lot of EE.

2. Don

Don Second Unit

what doe's EE Mean ?

3. Mario_C

4. Mario_C

EE= Edge Enhancements

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Interesting about the discrepency in the DD and dts quality. Even more interesting about the excessive edge enhancement. Won't the studios ever learn?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. Don

Don Second Unit

is EE good to have or do we avoid it. Don,

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  8. Peter Staddon

Peter Staddon Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    It's not a case of the studios learning. To my knowledge there was little - if any - edge enhancement made to the DVD.
    I am not sure exactly what they are referring to on the review, I'll have to wait until I can read it when I have the picture up on my screen, but too often any problems are lableed as being the result of the dreaded "Edge Enhancement" when it is simply not the case.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Peter Staddon [​IMG]

9. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I agree with Mr. Staddon on the EE thing. It seems like there are TOO many titles out there that supposedly are marred by EE for it to actually be so. Granted, sometimes there is actual edge enhancement on many DVDs, but it seems that with the level of feedback the studios take from us, and all-around DVD savvy that they have, it's not likely that they'd still be applying it to every DVD. Something else is going on.....
    -Tom

10. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I agree too. Ever since Bjoern's guide, every new title has people claiming "edge-enhancement" violations.
    It's rather ridiculous.
    Regards,
    Dan

11. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

I agree something else is going on. I would have swore they cranked up the EE on the new Die Hard 3 disc, but Peter said there was very little if any. I obviously believe him so I wish someone could explain all of these occurrences.
    I still can't wait for the disc though!!!!

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Dan, you may be right. It may be ridiculous for all these reviews to scream about excessive EE on every new DVD, when in fact it may not actually be EE.
    But if it isn't EE, then we need to know what it is. People are saying it's EE because they are seeing ringing or haloing or whatever you want to call it, similar to what they've come to know as EE.
    Whatever it is they need to stop doing it, because EE or not, it still doesn't look like film and it still isn't desirable. And it must be avoidable since there are DVDs that don't demonstrate it at all.
    While on the whole I'm sure it looks "good" there's really no excuse at all for a recent film so meticulously cared for as the The Phantom Menace to demonstrate any of this "video" look on DVD.

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The LD had quite a few scenes where 'jaggy edges' would show up (at least on my system). One that sticks in my mind is a wide shot of the droid army approaching Theed. The army moves from left to right. The jaggy edges came out particularly badly there. Perhaps a similar thing is happening with the DVD and they are confusing this with EE?
    The sound differences WSR note do not worry me at all. The LD was probably the loudest disc I ever owned and I always felt the levels were overcooked a little. If the LFE is a tad lighter (I think they make reference to a 1db drop) then I'll be happy.

14. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

Perhaps "EE" can be fixed by simply adjusting ones set?

15. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Won't do a thing. If EE is there, it is there and cannot be gotten rid of.
    Now SVM on your TV is another thing.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

16. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

To get a good look at EE, watch a football game. Note the black lines around the players during the live action. That's EE. To minimize the effect of MPEG artifacting, I'd look at it via OTA if possible. Watching the HDTV Arkansas/Alabama game on Saturday there wasn't any edge enhancement. There were a few compression artifacts(mistaken often times - even by me - as EE) around some of the players but nothing near what you see with EE "enhanced" regular broadcast. I watched an OTA game at my Uncle's house on a 32" TV and the EE was awful on the players(Cowboys-Chargers).
    I long for the day where every NFL broadcast is in HD.
    As I've stated on TPM before, I believe the EE is added so that those with uncalibrated 27" TVs get the best picture. You'd figure they'd kill all EE since uncalibrated TVs have too much sharpness already which will create ringing effects. Oh well....There goes the format.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

17. Mario_C

I think you are right about the sound difference. The 7dB lower parts might be welcomed. DVD's can be too loud sometimes.

18. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I would like to point out that, although a properly adjusted set will not remove EE if it is present in the source, an improperly adjusted set (i.e. one where the sharpness is cranked up too high) can add ringing and halo effects on a clean source.
    I too am eagerly awaiting this disc.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

19. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Glenn,
    You inherently assume that everyone here has a high quality monitor set up correctly.
    I would bet that most of this is a hardware or calibration issue.
    In a statement that is sure to piss a lot of people off, I'm going to say that the majority (yes, even here at HTF)of people crying "edge enhancement" on every single new release is seeing a hardware/calibration problem.
    Regards,
    Dan

20. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I doubt that. The problem may be that many TV's have SVM (scan velocity modulation) which adds halos and ringing, which is very obvious on a clean source like DVD.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman