WSR reviews Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

2. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I was expecting this disc to be top notch based on what I have heard. I need to decide if I am going to rent via Netflix, or whether it is worth a purchase (I haven't seen it).

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Rent it first...the movie is cheesy, preachy, overmelodramatic tripe...kinda what I expected. It is amazing to look at, but still not photorealistic, which hurts the film. I found myself pulled out of the film because it tried to be realistic. It looks great sitting still, but the motion of the humans just felt fake and stiff, which hurts the "drama" of the scenes. Still, I had no doubt this would be a reference DVD upon release. Will probably be able to check this bad boy out in the next week or so.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

5. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Mmmm, tripe.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

So if this one is tripe, what does that make "Armageddon"? [​IMG]
    ------------------

7. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

quote: I need to decide if I am going to rent via Netflix, or whether it is worth a purchase.[/quote]
    Well, I'm not usually one to get melodramatic, but Final Fantasy nearly made me lose all faith in the film industry. It was so bad I was literally checking my watch every 5 minutes in the theater. If I had a choice to watch it again or watch nothing at all for the rest of my life, I might just take a sledgehammer to my DVD and video collection.
    However, I will grudgingly admit that the DVD looks spectacular based on what I've heard. And I will also say that the supplements have caught my eye and I'd be fairly interested in looking at them. But I just can't bear to watch anything related to this film again, for fear of going insane and spending the rest of my life curled up in the fetal position in a corner of my bedroom. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
    [Edited last by Kevin Leonard on October 04, 2001 at 02:42 AM]

8. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

So Kevin, you don't like the film? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Peter

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Kevin;
    Oh come on! There are better (or should I say worse) films to hate than this little "tripe" of a film. A recent John Travolta sci-fi flick comes to mind as one of them. Smash your DVD collection with a sledgehammer if you're forced to watch that flick. [​IMG]
    As for myself, I'll be getting this DVD set. I kind of liked the movie, mostly for its visuals. That's enough for me.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

10. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I was very skeptical about this movie after watching the trailer. Similar to video game intros, it seemed like it was going to be eye candy. However, just like video game intros, it felt too long and the eye candy just got redundant. In the end, I felt like this whole movie was a compilation of cliched moments from various scenes from sci-fi and other action movies. i.e.- "Fire in the hull!" - C'mon! It's cool to see this in a video game, but you gotta do more if you're going to make a movie.
    Elbert

11. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Peter,
    No, I'm not a fan of the film. [​IMG]
    Jeffrey,
    There are worse efforts out there I'm sure. I haven't seen Battlefield Earth--and I probably never will--but I actually have seen something worse than Final Fantasy. And that movie is Mission to Mars. As I stated in another thread, just thinking about MtM makes me want punch somebody. Twice.
    If people like Final Fantasy, then more power to them. I just never got into it, as you may have already guessed. I'm sure people will love the DVD, at 20 bucks, it seems like a steal.
    But if I want to experience FF again, I'll go old-school and play the very first FF game on the old Nintendo 8-bit system...the only one I ever really liked, BTW. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
    [Edited last by Kevin Leonard on October 04, 2001 at 02:41 AM]

12. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

IGN gave 10's to the picture, sound, and extras. For those who are interested in the Thriller video, you'll be glad to hear that the reviewer thinks it is extremely cool.
    ~T

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Since this is the software section, I am going to ask that people respond to my query in the Movies section.
    I want to know what made people hate this movie so much. I'm talking what specific things made it suck other than the visuals (some say it was imperfect but it was still damn impressive).
    Back to the topic, has anyone seen any screenshots from the Thriller video? I want to see some.

14. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Thi-
    Thanks for all the cool stuff.