What's new

WSJ: Warner seeks DVD replacement for CD (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20070803.html

Yogi Berra: Deja Vu All Over Again!

:D

I have some thoughts on this:

1. Sadly, physical media may be almost dead (except for us niche audiophiles). This won't change that.

2. Will the consumer actually spend more $ on a better disc? I doubt it. Maybe they need an $8 a disc replacement.

3. Apple may have scored a coup here but they may be the bigger beneficiary of this by further making Apple's iPod an entrenched standard.

4. How hirez will the albums be? I'm curious if we hit 24/192....does this format signal the final death of DualDisc? of DVD-Audio?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I think this just may work ... to a degree.

The "kicker" here is the inclusion of the "pre-ripped" tracks that the article mentioned.

Almost everybody now owns or has access to a computer with a CD/DVD burner. You can now purchase this new DVD Music/Video album and enjoy the increased fidelity on your home audio system -and/or- place the DVD into your computer and copy the "pre-ripped" tracks down to your "My Music" folder. At that point the music is ready for your iPod and/or for burning to a CD-R for playback in your car.

IMO, with that much inherent versatility, in combination with the increased fidelity, this could actually work!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
With the success of DVD, they should have triend this in the 1st place vs. SACD or DVD-A with a hi-rez stereo track to attract audiophiles and regular music lovers. Sony/Philips was obviously more obsessed with losing orig. patents on CD technology vs. being focused on what might be successfully marketed (not a surprise - just look at their record, Beta, Minidisc. 'L' Cassette, etc.)

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
When will these execs learn? Nobody is going to buy even higher-priced music. If they want to succeed, they need to make it very affordable and very versatile. The most I'm paying per album is $8. Anything higher than that, I'll obtain my music elsewhere.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
FYI: dvd-audio discs have always had the capability to include MP3 tracks and several already do. They can also contain others like .pdf files - The Who's Tommy disc has this (IIRC they contain sheet music).

Notice: the above info is now only of interest to audio historians and people that enjoy a hearty giggle.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I can't tell what this DVD will be from the article but DualDisc and DVD-Audio were both already dead as mainstream formats.

Chris

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't hybrid SACD covers all bases? You have a hi-res stereo and multi-channel layer which is copy-protected. You could put an "Enhanced CD" layer as the CD layer, which can include some video and computer multi-media content (such as what's available on the Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" hybrid SACD). The CD layer can be playable in a car, home, or portable CD player, with virtual guranteed compatibility with existing CD and DVD players. For those with SACD capability, then there's the hi-rez layer. Videos and multi-media content can be access through the computer, which can also rip the CD layer as well.

Is Warner's ego and pride getting in its way of adopting hybrid SACD?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
"DVD Album" = DOA. Just like DVD-A and SACD and DualDisc. Not being able to rip them to a PC and not being able to play them in a car will be showstoppers. And I bet too, the max resolution we get might be 16/44 if we are lucky. If we aren't, it'll be lossy DD.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

What do you mean, not being able to rip them to a PC? A quote from the article:

"The DVD album would include "preripped" digital tracks of the entire album, ready to be copied onto a user's computer -- a totally separate set of data from the higher-quality, DVD-audio sound that users hear when they slip the DVD in a player. The lower-quality, "preripped" tracks could be copied to a CD."

Do you mean the higher quality audio can't be ripped to a PC? I don't think this will be DVD-Audio, but nothing is clear to me yet.

Chris

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK ... so if "DVD-audio" isn't "DVD-Audio" with a capital A, and then they are saying their rippable tracks are lower quality, that means you will not be getting CD quality sound with those rippable tracks. Probably low rate MP3's.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I am sure the higher quality audio will be copy protected, I wasn't sure if that was what you thought would kill the format. It is only the lower quality AAC or MP3 or whatever that format will be that can be copied to a PC. I am not sure what this proposed format is or if it will ever actually be released.

Chris

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Is it me or do I sense the whole music Industry is in a Major Mess. All waiting on the Next best thing. I've always been more of a Video guy and Don't mind a well encoded MP3 but I have a friend that really hates the way the music Industry has gone, without major improvemnets from the CD. He's more of a Record and Tube amp type of guy and disikes the digital realm, I fear the music Industry will leave the music lovers behind

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks