WSJ Report: More IMAX Format Films In The Works

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

The Wall Street Journal is reporting a possible 25 new or re-released giant-format films scheduled to be released on IMAX screens over the next year.

Among those already scheduled and other possibilities include the following:

- Disney’s Treasure Planet simultaneously released on standard screens in November

- The Lion King

- Aladdin

- A reformatted version of Shrek

- James Cameron’s Ghost of the Abyss

This should bode well for the IMAX theaters.

~Edwin

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I don't know that it bodes well. It may mean that the format (and theaters) will continue to operate.

We have two IMAX screens in town. One is at the science center. The other is in a multiplex, and for a few years it continuously ran IMAX movies. Back in the fall the decision was made to stop showing IMAX films because they weren't very profitable. (From what I understand, the only time those films did any business was for school field trips.)

They are showing Beauty and the Beast and likely will run any future "big" films like it, but the standard IMAX stuff has vanished. The rest of the time they show regular films on the bigger screen. (I wouldn't recommend seeing a regular film on it.)

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Those are not true IMAX films, just reformatted to be shown in IMAX or other large screen theatres. History repeats itself... Real Cinerama (3 projector) vs. bogus Cinerama (70mm Single lens). Now this. Hollywood is Hollywood.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

"Ghost of the Abyss"? Is this a new film or one that I hadn't heard of? Or is it actually "The Abyss"? Inquiring minds want to know... [​IMG]
    -Dave

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

According to the article, it is "a giant screen documentary about the exploration of the doomed ship".

~Edwin

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd like to see Imax come up with a way to show 70mm films.

Just think of Lawrence of Arabia (still in 2.21:1, of course!) with Imax sound...

Destiny in Space had a clip of 2001....drool!

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

It appears the next film to grace the IMAX screen is Apollo 13:

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I'm not impressed. It's fairly easy to blow up animated films to IMAX because they're all done in computers now anyhow. Live-action films are only as good as their source material. Anything originally filmed on 35mm is going to have the resolution of 35mm, no matter how much bigger the IMAX negative. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

SHREK was originally going to be a dual release: 35mm and IMAX 3D. However, the IMAX 3D version was scrapped because Dreamworks was unsure if it would be profitable. Now that SHREK has become the mega hit that it is, maybe they're gearing up for it again. It would be fantastic to see this film in IMAX 3D and I would think it would be fairly easy to produce, since the whole thing is done in computers anyway. Any thoughts?

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

So the big question becomes, will it retain it's 2.35:1 framing or get opened up? I shudder to think of the grain of a Super35 2.35:1 film blown up to 70mm. It'll look like a beehive!

12. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I wasn't that impressed with Beauty And The Beast IMAX. I love the movie, consider it one of the few perfect movies out there, but when blown up to building-size, the backgrounds seemed too static and the lines started to develop jaggies, even though the coloring was smooth. I'll be interested to see how Treasure Planet looks, since it's apparently being designed for the giant screen.