What's new

WSJ: iPad 3 with Retina Display early 2012 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll probably buy an iPad this go 'round. But my computer setup in the new apartment is not so good; an iPad would be much more comfortable for my home use. And my personal computer use is so much more around web and email and Facebook, that an iPad will do most of it with aplomb.

My ongoing hesitation, of course, is cost against my desired waste of money on an HTPC :) and what will a "RetinaDisplay" iPad cost? But if my business travel starts up like expected, I'll get an iPad without reservation.

I'm also thinking about getting some Bose noise canceling headphones, but that's another thread ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/17/confirmed-ipad-3-has-a-2048x1536-retina-display/

MacRumors has now been able to obtain one of these iPad 3 displays and examine it under a microscope in an effort to determine whether it is indeed an ultra-high resolution Retina display. Physically, the purported iPad 3 display is the same size as the current iPad 1 and iPad 2 display at 9.7" in diagonal, and looks quite similar to the naked eye.
I won't ruin the end of the story :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Mmmm... So maybe I'll finally break down and stop resisting in a couple weeks, especially now that I finally stopped resisting the FB itch as well?

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You've not heard the Bose noise canceling headphones? :) These are a different beast from their home-theater speakers. Absolutely amazing. I've had $30 NC headphones, and there is no comparison. And searching reviews, I don't find anything particularly better. Quick look suggests Sennheiser looks are priced the same ($350).

If you can point to NC headphones that perform like the Bose QC15, I'm interested. They need some sort of fold-flat style and case.

(related, I have in-ear Etymotic earphones. Probably more effective than active NC headphones, and much more convenient to travel with. But they get uncomfortable after a couple of hours)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree that the Bose NC headphones are very good.

I own a pair. I only use them for flight travel because

they are very delicate. If you use them too often the

rubber ear padding begins to peel and you get small

specs of black rubber all over your ears. The headsets

are just not durable for everyday use.

So, for work, I bought a pair of Audio Technica NC headphones.

They are less than half the price of Bose and I figured

it would be better to wear these everyday at work rather

than a pair of $300 headphones.

The Audio Technica headphones are nearly as good

as the Bose. Build quality is exceptional. Noice cancelling

a par below. You can see by the reviews on Amazon

that not everyone is happy with them.

I suppose what I am saying is that I would recommend

taking great care of those $300 Bose Headphones. It is

the only Bose product I really like. The ear padding does

not stand up to everyday use. Haven't checked if Bose

sells replacement padding. If they do, then I suppose its

not a big worry

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I was mostly just kidding about the Bose comment since I have no real knowledge/experience w/ NC headphones (though my sentiment is similar to many others, including TonyD's).

I suppose the Bose NC headphones might be your best bet at this time at least for airplane travel it seems. Too bad it's not easy for you to try both the Bose and Sennheiser for yourself (in real world usage) before committing. Still, I'd strongly recommend trying them for yourself before committing, if at all possible...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Stand by what I said. If I spend that kind of money on headphones I want to be able to use them without fear of using them too much or they fall apart.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

I suppose the Bose NC headphones might be your best bet at this time at least for airplane travel it seems. Too bad it's not easy for you to try both the Bose and Sennheiser for yourself (in real world usage) before committing. Still, I'd strongly recommend trying them for yourself before committing, if at all possible...

_Man_

I understand. Bose has a poor reputation for their speakers, but their NC headphones...put them on and the outside world vanishes. Knocked me out the first time I tried a pair. The BestBuy demo is surprising effective. If you pass through, give it a go :)

I like Sennheiser and have a decent pair of over-the-ear headphones (HD515) I really like. But I've not seen their NC headphones to try. I'm in no hurry. Travel hasn't started yet and I've got my Etymotics until I splurge on NC.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
When I checked Amazon reviews earlier today, the word seems to be Bose has the best NC, but still has pretty much the same muddy, boomy sound as usual, especially compared to the comparably priced Sennheiser. That plus the Sennheiser has waaay better build quality (and a better feature for temporarily defeating NC and reducing volume, eg. if you need to talk to someone briefly).

At least one reviewer also pointed out that you can't just trust the Bose demo at the store because it's probably rigged for best possible results rather than for real world results. Still, the consensus seems to be the Bose NC (at least in the QC15 model) is clearly most effective. So you get better NC to go w/ muddier, boomier AQ. IOW, pick your own poison.

If it was my $$$, I'd probably go w/ the Sennheiser, but I'd definitely want to try both in real world usage first, if at all possible. My impression is if the Sennheiser's NC isn't good enough, I'd probably just wait for somethng better rather than settling on plunking down $300-350 for the Bose unless I really do travel *THAT* much to justify buying a new pair whenever the Bose either falls apart and/or whenever something better comes out.

Actually, if it was my $$$, I'd probably give the in-ear stuff more thorough tries before plunking down that kind of $$$ on either. I don't use in-ear phones myself though -- I prefer to be able to hear some ambient noise (when I'm out and about) *and* also do not like the idea of sticking them deep (enough) into my ears on a regular basis.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

Store demos are notoriously "rigged" to best showcase the product. But the Bose demo...the goal is to show it cancels noise and it does. They've got a speaker that blares noise akin to an airplane that is cut out. But it also cancels out the other shoppers, the blare from the TV section, the salespeople, etc.

Granted, it doesn't provide any comparison against e.g. Sennheiser, and the music tests are surely tweaked to make it sound best (I really noticed that on the bass content of the adjacent Dr Dre Beats). But does it do its main task well and provide listenable audio? The demo does a bang-up job on that. (I've also listened to the them at home, with an inlaws set, and was floored how they cut out the noise of a bustling holiday household.)

And for me, on this purchase, I'd prioritize NC quality and portability over audio quality.The durability is a greater concern than audio quality.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have a number of in-ear phones and hate them all. I always feel like I'm under water. I just got the $20 set that ships for the PS Vita tho, and that one has 3 sizes of inserts, the smallest one is great for me (I must have really small ear canals) and the echo / stuffed head feeling is the least bothersome to any I've ever used. Going to try it with my iPhone next.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have some earphone etymotics that I thought fit pretty well. But the mic / earphone version inexplicably have larger tubes and aren't as comfortable. For me, the squishy foam inserts work best; but they're annoying because they get grungy and have to be replaced (the silicon inserts can be washed).

I've not had the underwater sensation; but my ears hurt after a few hours of using them from the physical pressure.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not buying this "Announcement date delivery:" rumor, but you never know, they could ship the wifi only version on day 1 and take orders for LTE... http://www.cultofmac.com/149228/new-apple-tv-to-be-launched-in-march-along-with-immediately-available-ipad-3-rumor/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Today I learned the iPad 3 is due for announcement in about a week.

And my cat needs to see a kitty cardiologist.

I'm gonna need a bigger wallet.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
The bottom of the article says 1 to 2 weeks. I predict that they will go on sale online the ~14th with delivery and in store sales the 21st much like last time. I can't wait and if Apple TV really is 1080p then I'll buy one of those too. I'm sad that there is only 3 models listed because I was really hoping for a 128GB version.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The iPad 2 had long lines and a couple weeks wait on launch.

An iPad 3 with RetinaDisplay and $499 price will be worse.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you preorder it online it gets delivered to your

door on release date.

....at least that is how it has worked for all my

other Apple products. I never stand on store

lines anymore for these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks