What's new

WSJ: iPad 3 with Retina Display early 2012 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Steve_Tk said:
I'll never get permission to buy a new iPad every year :(
If the rumors are true and the 2012 era iPad has a quad core, LTE and retina display trifecta I cannot imagine what they will add in 2013 that will make this a MUST HAVE upgrade for me. Seriously I will be satisfied with that for 2 years for sure. Which means I can't imagine we will get all 3.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
If/when the iPad moves to a retina display, I am wondering if it will be necessary for videos and games to actually work at its full resolution?

Widescreen movies wouldn't use the full resolution because of their aspect ratio. Plus, at the iPad's screen size, I am guessing 1080P, or maybe even a 720P, video scaled up will probably look fine. Of course, maybe Apple's LCD TV will be 4K and they plan on upgrading all the content in the iTunes store to that resolution so a retina display iPad wouldn't be a problem. :)

Games could probably be written for a lower resolution as well.

I am thinking that the only thing that needs to be done at native res is the UI for Apps, and that shouldn't be much of a problem.

-Keith

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Storage space will be the most interesting thing to maintain the display; there are several components in here I will be super impressed if they pull off, but storage space to maintain it will definitely be one of them.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

If the rumors are true and the 2012 era iPad has a quad core, LTE and retina display trifecta I cannot imagine what they will add in 2013 that will make this a MUST HAVE upgrade for me.
Seriously I will be satisfied with that for 2 years for sure.
Which means I can't imagine we will get all 3.

A display that is comfortably viewable in sunlight? Killer software X which requires new hardware, a la Siri? More RAM, storage?

I am on a two year upgrade cycle regardless of how desirable new features are, and I'm sure I'll love going from the original iPad 1 to the iPad 3… with a generation gap, the CPU/RAM is enough to make a HUGE difference.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife is getting on my case, asking me why I haven't bought an iPad yet, and if I ever will?

Because I married well :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hope rings eternal: http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/01/debug-tool-shows-quad-core-a6-and-lte-capabilities-on-ipad-3/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hope it's a unified LTE chipset. Choosing Verizon vs AT&T in a hardware purchase is an annoyingly needless decision. Let me delay the decision until I need service...and then tell me how the signal is before I purchase.

Also -- fix the problem the prevents an iPad from getting on 3G without wifi. That's a nasty and silly Catch 22 that seems to defy the entire notion of having 3G!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You need wifi to activate 3G service.

If you find yourself somewhere with no wifi internet access, and want to turn on 3G to get online, you can't. You need internet access to get internet access.

I wouldn't have thought that to be the case, but my wife specifically tested it. Turning on her iPad 2's 3G the first time, she first unplugged our wifi router, and found she couldn't activate 3G. She had to get the iPad online, on wifi, before she could turn on 3G service.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well hell, you are lucky at all to activate without a computer and nobody recommends you do it that way anyway... I don't think this is a significant issue for anyone really....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How do you turn on an iPad's 3G with a computer? (We toggle our iPhone 3G data plan from 250 MB to 2GB on the phone a couple times a year without problem.)

My use case is: you're traveling, and find you've got no wifi and want to turn on the iPad's 3G to get online. Except you can't get online because you can can't get online. To me it's a braindead design flaw.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's a question I have. How do you toggle the iPad 3G on?

Or is it just activated by AT&T and left on?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You do it right from within the control panel of the iPad, I don't think this is an issue at all guys.... http://www.apple.com/ipad/3g/ http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4572

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The first time I needed to sign up for 3G I couldn't do it without a wifi connection. Once I signed up for 3G I had the choice to either turn it on and leave it on so that when wifi disappeared, 3G would just pop right on. Or I could turn it off so that 3G would not go on when I didn't want it to. After I signed up for the 3G I did not have to have wifi connection to turn it on if I wanted to. Maybe I'm not understanding the question. On Verizon the cheapest data plan is $20. That is much too high I think so I don't do it ev ery month.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by TonyD

The first time I needed to sign up for 3G I couldn't do it without a wifi connection.
Once I signed up for 3G I had the choice to either turn it on and leave it on so that when wifi disappeared, 3G would just pop right on.
Or I could turn it off so that 3G would not go on when I didn't want it to.
After I signed up for the 3G I did not have to have wifi connection to turn it on if I wanted to. Maybe I'm not understanding the question.
On Verizon the cheapest data plan is $20. That is much too high I think so I don't do it ev ery month.
Maybe that's the issue. This was the first time my wife had ever activated iPad 3G, and couldn't do it without wifi -- the house was being packed up so fortunately she looked into it and did it before the router was packed. if she'd listened to me, she'd have had to drive to Panera to activate it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Do a google search, nobody else seems to have this issue that I can see. If you find others please post examples because this sounds like operator error to me the way you are describing it...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm not sure how it would connect to 3G before it was set up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks