What's new

WS tv vs Projectors (1 Viewer)

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to spend about $2500 on a widescreen tv. I need something in the low 40 inch category(willing to go higher although quality comes first) but I'd love to have that going to the movies like experience you get with a projector. Can you watch tv through projectors(I don't know anything about them)? I mostly watch dvds but do catch a few tv shows now and then. Clarity and color are the only important things for me...mostly because I can't think of anything else of importance. :D What would be the deciding factor if you had to make the choice?

Btw, I was looking at the Sony 42" Grand Wega™ LCD Rear Projection TV
Brand/Model: SON KF42WE610
which is exactly what I'm looking for terms of price, size, and picture(saw the 50" yesterday...wow), but I heard some bad things about LCD in terms of displaying blacks and dead pixels.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely you can watch video through projectors. IMO, for a real HT, it's the only way to go. For 2.5K you could get a stunning used CRT projector, and an HTPC, if you're up to the technical challenge, and make anything else anywhere NEAR that price run for cover.

There are lots of options out there, though.

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm leaning towards the projector now as I can get a much bigger quality picture for less. I take a lot of pride in my dvd collection and just get a kick out of home theater(can't wait to get my own house ;)) even if my buddies could care less what they watch a movie on. BTW, what's a HTPC?

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
As in PC=personal computer? What does that have to do with anything I've posted. :confused:

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Especially feeding something like a CRT, plain DVD just doesn't cut it. You need to boost up the resolution for a screen that big, and unless you wanna dish out 10k+ for an outboard, high-end scaler... you need an HTPC.

Again, this is a complicaed route, but I just threw it out there in case.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Vinnie, I agree with your comments, but I think you have been out of the loop for a while. The HS10 is now being discontinued and can be had for around $2k. The new HS20 is around $2700. Sanyo and Panasonic both have new 1280x720 units out at ~$2k. The screen, unless you buy a silverstar or something similar won't be anywhere close to $2k.

You could go with the new Z2 and a DaLite Hi-Power for less than $2500.

RG

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Vinnie for taking the time to type that very informative response, but I don't know where you got some of those figures. My room's only 12'x13', or 12'x16.5' if you include the staircase leading downstairs. My budget, just for the projector, is around $2500 max. In reality I'm looking for the best bang for my buck though. I measured where the screen would go and I'm probably looking at 72" in one spot, or around 90" if I put the screen on the wall with the staircase. It's not the greatest room to setup a theater in but it'll work. The screen size is plenty considering the viewing distance isn't more than probably 10' for either one. I'll probably build the screen myself so I'm not expecting that to cost too much. Darkness isn't a problem as most of the time I watch movies at night and the room is super dark. Maybe I should start a new thread for people to throw out suggestions for the projector, and a place I can get one at. There's so many models and I don't even know what I'm looking for in them.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Dave, I run a Panny LCD 200u that I bought for $1,100. It puts out a beautiful image for DVD, has component inputs and is native 16:9. It is being discontinued, but you can land the 300u (has better resolution, among other things) for about $1,600. I've got a few low-rez screen shots up on my web site from my 200u projected on an 80" DIY screen I built for $40.

A lot can be done on the cheap and you don't need a CRT based machine (which requires a lot of tweaking) to get a beautifully huge image.

Let me also add in here that I upgraded from a Mits 16:9 46" RPTV that was ISF calibrated and I could not be happier. I am the only one that can tell the differences between the Mits and my 200u (as minor as they are), my friends and family cannot. They say it looks as good as my old Mits, just much bigger.

Peace Out~:D

VinnieR

Grip
Dave, I actually wrote my too-long post for another thread but posted it to yours in error. I pulled the earlier response to your thread, as you can see. Sorry

My thoughts on your situation are completely different. I believe you would be pleased with one of the LCD projectors as Rick references. They do very well on screen sizes of the size you are considering and provide good bang for the buck. The Sony I mentioned has been very well received and my guess is that the new model Rick mentioned would be even better.

Rule of thumb on screen to viewer distance for HD and DVD is roughly twice screen width. Assuming you are talking about screen width, not diagonal, you would need to be about 12 foot back on the 72 inch screen. If you will be back from the screen about 10 feet, then I would go with the location with the 72 inch screen. You would be too close to a 90 inch screen at 10 feet back.

Screens are very important to the performance of all projectors. If you can get the special coated materials that are used in screens, building your own would certainly be an option. If not, perhaps the DaLite line has something that fits your budget. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks