WS QUEEN OF THE DAMNED @ Walmart

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Phillips, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I was in Walmart this morning and noticed they had about 2 rows of so called "full frame" and 1 row of widescreen on display. I could have bought it for a bit less elsewhere but I thought I'd buy a widescreen version @ Walmart and cast my vote.

At the counter, the clerk asked me if I knew there were two versions and I replied I was aware of that and that I had picked the "correct" one. I was expecting her to disagree but she said it was glad to hear someone who understood that widescreen is better.

She asked me if I knew that they had a cropped version of THE SOUND OF MUSIC coming out and we talked about how awful it is; how you were losing as much as 50% of the frame in some films, etc.

Meanwhile a woman was hearing this; and came up and asked me to explain what I meant. She went away convinced!

There is hope....

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm really satisfied with Wal Mart now.
    The one nearest to me carries both versions of all dual releases (unless the LBX version is out of stock). I even found the widescreen and fullscreen FOTR side by side. It looked like the LBX shelf had been wiped out and I was lucky to find a widescreen copy! The fullscreen side looked nearly untouched except for one or two copies gone. [​IMG]

3. Fred Mitchell

Fred Mitchell Stunt Coordinator

My local Wal-Mart only had the full frame addition. A friend of mine and I have made it a point to put in a complaint to whoever is working in the electronic section when either they don't stock a title available in both formats or a title that is released in full screen only. I'm not sure if this will do any good but hey, maybe it'll make them realize there are more wide screen fans out there than they originally thought.

4. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

My Walmart is usually good at stocking both versions when a movie is first out, but I've been noticing lately that some movies that have been out for a while are only available there in full frame now, such as Cats & Dogs, Willy Wonka, Beautiful Mind, and others.

Chris.

5. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I just got back from Walmart.... Went straight to the Queen of the Damned ready to search though the many fullscreen to find just a few widescreen as usual... To my suprise I saw 2 rows of Widescreen and I didn't see a single full frame edition!
    Maybe since I saw so many Widescreen I didn't look to hard for the full framed... but either way.. The Walmart in my area has really improved I am thrilled to say!
    Way To Go WalMart!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pete

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Hmmph....my Wal-Mart only had the fullscreen version. [​IMG] Needless to say, I did not buy it there.

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I work at a Best Buy and was running register today. I told everyone bringing up both Queen of the Damned and The Rookie that they were either
    A:getting the correct version(Widescreen)
    or B:"Did you know we have this in widescreen as well?"
    Typical response was"I want this one", I reply,"You do know this is only half the movie then, dont you?"

Most people said, yes...they know it is chopping off half the film to fit the screen. They just didnt want to see the black bars no matter what.
    Of the MANY people I encountered tonight, I turned about four over to the widescreen versions.

People just dont care if the movie is cropped...most know it is, but just dont want to see bars!

8. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Have they NOT been watching TV lately! More and more shows and especially comercials are being shown in 1:78 widescreen mode and if you have a 4:3 set then BINGO, there are those "annoying black bars". By 2006, all shows should be presented that way on TV. Hopefully then, most will have gone out and bought a widescreen set. Those that don't will proboably wait a few more years before their set gives up the ghost. Then when they try and play their "full-screen" disks on their new widescreen TV they are going to get "Horizontal Bars". "Oh, the horror of it all!", they will gasp! I, on the other hand, will support any store, including Wal-Mart, as long as they carry widescreen movies.

And thank you to all of those who are in stores and are trying to educate the masses. I know it is a tough job, but a BIG thank you for doing it.

9. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

no....people will just stretch the picture to fill their screens...just as long as there are no bars!

10. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

My local WalMart, a Canadian store, seems to only stock the WS versions if both are available. There have been notable exceptions, ie Harry Potter, but I have yet to see the FS Wonka, Cats & Dogs, or FOTR.

Needless to say, I buy a lot there