What's new

WS: Is Disney cheating? (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Is Disney pulling a fast one on us who demanded OAR? 1.66:1 on my 103" FP gives bars on the sides. Are they trying to compromise between FS and WS?
I just bought The Lion King and saw that it is 1.66:1 (Family friendly WS) after seeing that Treasure Planet and Stitch the movie are also that way.
Any thoughts?
Marc

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
IIRC, Lion King was 1.85:1 in theaters, then opened up to 1.66:1 for the DVD. David Boulet said in his review that opening it up made it better, and rewatching the LD made it seemed cramped, and I find no reason to disagree. Perhaps TP and Stitch are the same way, I'm not sure though.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
1.66 done right produces bars on the sides. Anything narrower than 1.77 produces bars on the sides; anything wider than 1.77 produces bars on the top and bottom. Normally, bars on the sides are not seen due to overscan. Apparently, your system has none/very little overscan - a good thing most of the time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
...with that notable exception.;)

Forgot about that clunker.:b My point was that the animation system Disney used was a 1.66:1 based system.

I just don't understand this need to fill one's widescreen TV, while leering at Joe Six Pack for wanting the same on his 4x3.:thumbsdown:

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I just don't understand this need to fill one's widescreen TV, while leering at Joe Six Pack for wanting the same on his 4x3.
I did not mean to come across like this. Let me profess that I do not know everything. My hypothesis was: Is Disney trying to compromise between J6P and WS advocates by scoping WS movies to 1.66 to reduce the top/bottom while making it WS?
Marc

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so. 1.66:1 is the standard ratio for European releases, and they may just be wanting to capitalize on the worldwide market.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen isn't a compromise between Widescreen and Fullscreen, because the black bars on top and bottom will be the same as if it were 1.78:1 (which most "1.85:1 in theory" widescreen DVDs are). Like Adam said, 1.66:1 is the aspect ratio they create their films in, and DVD has become the only way to see the entire animated frame as it was created, since both theatrical matting to 1.85:1 and VHS cropping to 1.33:1 loses some of the frame.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I did not mean to come across like this. Let me profess that I do not know everything.
Not a problem. Wasn't talking about you specifically; it's just a viewpoint becoming more and more prevalent, one which I happen to be venemently opposed to. I try to take every opportunity I can to vent.:)

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I think I read somewhere that the animators create a 1.66:1 image, which is protected and matted to 1.85:1 at the theater.

The DVDs are released at 1.66:1 (technically "open matte") at the request of the animators, as they prefer that ratio.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the Spirited Away DVD was supposed to be 2.0:1. But I have no idea what the Ghibli people animated it for.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I thought that the Spirited Away DVD was supposed to be 2.0:1. But I have no idea what the Ghibli people animated it for.
The transfer is about 2.0:1, but the actual picture area is windowboxed at about 1.85:1. This was done (I believe at Miyazaki's request) to allow for overscan.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Most of the 1.66:1 Disney films are layed out to be matted to 1.85:1. Certain special presentations of the films (such as the "Pocohantas Summer Spectacular") were projected at 1.66:1 in some venues.

The 1.66:1 "fluff" area allowed for different framings between the two ratios and less egregious panning and scanning for 4:3 presentations. It doesn't bother me too much either way.

Regards,

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Does bother me terribly because I can just adjust my side surtains around the screen and looks perfect. I was just curious in the wake of the flood of phone calls/emails if this was a 'give them this to shut them up' solution.
Marc

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's a software thing. Every film completed with the Pixar-developed CAPS (Computer Assisted Painting System), with the exception of Atlantis:The Lost Empire and the upcoming Brother Bear, is outputted in 1.66:1. Since the average megaplex (and I know this from experience, since I work in one) is only equipped to show films in either 1.85 or 2.35:1, of course concessions have to be made in framing, and sometimes the directors actually prefer that framing (as was the case with Beauty & the Beast). BTW, the first Disney film to use CAPS was The Rescuers Down Under. The Little Mermaid was the last hand-painted film released.

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan do you know if Spirited Away was animated to 1.85:1? Or was it animated in some other ratio and they had reframe it for theaters.

Also on the DVD it seems that the picture quality for the movie on the first disk doesn't look as good as the trailer picture quality on disk two. The trailer image looks more colorful and crisper.

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen isn't a compromise between Widescreen and Fullscreen, because the black bars on top and bottom will be the same as if it were 1.78:1
I've been trying to understand this discussion, but this has lost me. Are you saying that the shape of the anamorphic image is actually 1.66:1, so that the viewable image, when converted back from anamorphic, is actually close to a standard widescreen format and on my 16x9 television I won't see any black bars? I thought that it was being suggested that I would see black bars left and right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks