WS-55511 vs 57TWX20B

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Nolan, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

I currently own a Sony KP53HS10 which has been fine.
    I would like decent OTA/Dish picture the Sony seem a bit washed out on some channels. DVD has always been awesome always had progressive...and now have Yamaha DV-C6840.

Any thoughts on this pair?
    I was bent on having the 55511 because it's a fine TV with a great picture (most imortant) and I know about the red push issues. Fewer stretch modes than the Hitcachi right?
    Built in OTA HDTV tuner and NetCommand to make things easier for my wife.

And then I saw the Hitachi and read 2 glowing reviews Perfect Vision and Stereophile and then I went to see one and good God what a picture! I plan on getting SuperDish so I think the OTA HDTV tuner was just a instant gratification.

I don't think there are too many 55511 owners around these parts because I have gotten few responses from them.

So please chime in with opinions...comE on back

Kevin

2. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Kevin,

I was facing a similar desicion a year ago with the same Mits TV. I ended up going with then current Hitachi model 53UWX10B for a few reasons:

1) $600 plus premium for an integrated OTA tuner seemed a bit steep, even if the Mits had much prettier Windows XP like menus. Even the 411 model without the tuner (or is it 311?) was always about 2-300 more than the Hitachi with what I felt was a inferior picture.

2) I didn't buy the Fireware arguement (Please don't flame me anyone [​IMG] ) or see an immediate need for the Promise Module

3) The cabinet on the Mits is ugly.

During this past year I had a close friend buy the 55511 model. They paid approximately $800 more than I did for my set. A few observations on their Mits in their home....

1) Picture is fantastic. Granted the cabinet may be ugly but I like the fact that the border around the screen is so thin. It allows the screen to be the focus of attention even in low and moderately lit rooms. I have to turn all the lights completely off to achieve the same effect. When you get one of these puppies home you'll know what I mean. The newer Hitachi's like the one you are looking at feature the same kind of cabinet design just less ugly/stark looking (although some would argue that the straight black that Mits uses is better for "disappearing" in the background - to each his own).

2) The OTA tuner works well. He is able to pick up every DTV station. I can't say as much for my DTC 100, Although he lives about 1-2 miles away from me and admittingly may may a better line of sight than I do. One thing that I DID NOT know when I was shopping was that the Mits also will do QAM and therefore pick up any unscrambled HD channels in your area. This is especially relevant since Comcast will start officially sending out HD in our area next month. The one downside is that the tuner may be sometimes finicky and succeptable to errors in the HD datastream (read: PSIP) causing lockups in the system (This has happened a couple of times to some Mits owners here in the Salt Lake Valley).

3) Netcommand does make things easier for his family. I still haven't really played extensively with it myself but they seem to be happy with the icon based interface.

I guess it all comes down to what you are willing to pay for the "right" of convenience. I have a smaller Sony combo remote that I paid $63 dollars for that has labelled macros that do a good job of turning multiple devices on and off for me. I paid $140 plus another $50 for a vga to component transcoder to see HD using my DTC100. Another $60 dollars went to an outdoor antenna and mast.

You figure that is about $313 dollars to achieve a relatively modest amount of convenience with my system. You also have to realize that if you have HD cable available and only wish to see HD locals you can save even more by just renting a STB for $5 a month (Comcast will let you do this WITHOUT having to subscribe to a Digital cable package).

In the end it is up to you. I do not know what the final proposed prices on both sets will be. I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say that you will pay between 600-800 dollars more for the Mits. You and your wife [​IMG] will have to decide if it's worth it.

Michael.

3. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Update,

Sorry, I didn't realize you were looking at the TWX Hitachi. Perhaps my arguement is relevant to BOTH sets - give their respective "lesser" models a hard look before pulling the trigger.

Michael.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Both TVs are great sets. Hard to make a choice.

The mits will offer better DVD and HD but the hitachi will do better with 480i/SD. Red push is easily correctible in both sets via the service menu. Mits has netcommand, hitachi has DVI.

If you're a big gamer with an Xbox then hitachi is the obvious choice because of its support for 720p.

Very tough call. I have the mitsubishi and have calibrated many a hitachi as well. They're so close.

Hope that helps.

5. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so far folks really!
    I spent alot of time with both today and found the Hitachi quite friendly and I seemed to like the pic better..I'm going back tomorrow with some of my favorite discs to test more.
    One thing the Mits guy told me is that the CRTs have a longer life IE they will not fade in the first year like most others do is there any truth to this? I have never read ANY testimonials to this being a FACT and does'nt Hitachi make the Mits CRTs?
    Does anyone know if either unit will remember settings for each input..I can't seem to find this as it would eliminate allot of hassle viewing DVD/DISH/ANT etc.
    This is a bitch.
    The Mits is $2500 delivered.
    The Hitachi is $2349 I take it away in my F250 and I get a 5 year GE extended...the Mits guy wanted a additional $450 for a Philips 5 year extended deal...Hmmm seems like he is building some more profit in the unit. This is the only thing I would buy a extended warranty on and it paid off on my old Sony already as I had a couple spiders that needed to be taken care of He HE.
    Come on back
    Kevo
    You guys are helping me allot!

6. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

7. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Mits remembers user settings for each input.
    Service menu settings are seperate for 1080, 480p, and 480i
    Convergence, overscan, geometry (maybe more) is seperate for 1080 and 480p/i
    I love the mits but have no experience with the Hitachi. Remember that if you sign up for a Mits card I believe its no interest until 2005 right now. Over that run the tuner is $10-15 a month.

Check to see the outputs on the dish HD tuners. I have a thread open on the 921 wondering what the outputs are. There will be a dish 211 that will be made specially for Mits sets, but it will not be a PVR