Wrong to want to hack my DVD player to play other regions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'm not looking to import movies before they come out here, really, but there are DVD's I would like to watch that aren't available here and may never be. Is there a hack available that would make my Panasonic CV51 region free?
    Case in point, the Mad Max DVD with Aussie dialouge.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

if it's wrong, then I don't want to be right [​IMG]
    Unfortuantely, there aren't any hack available for this player (that I could find with a quick search anyway)
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Technically it's illegal under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act
    I see it as an act of civil disobedience, and frankly, I don't think they'd ever haul anyone in for Region hacking their player to play legit product
    Jeff Kleist

4. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

5. Junaid

Junaid Auditioning

go for it. i never regretted going multi-region. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

6. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Hey!
    This thread got me thinking... Can a HTPC play DVDs from any region? It's always easier to hack things in software right? Also, even if I were to get my Yamaha 796 to play Region 2 discs, how would my TV handle the PAL signal? One would need a PAL to NTSC converter, correct? Which leads me back to my original question, could a HTPC which can play any region DVD do the conversion on the fly? That is, can a HTPC play region 2 DVD, convert the PAL to NTSC and display it on my Toshiba (let's assume an S-Video connection jsut to keep things simple).
    Am I asking in the wrong forum? Probably.
    - Mike

7. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

It's your DVD player. You can paint it green and use it for a microwave if you want. As far as 'chip' hacks go, you may void the warranty, but that doesn't stop most industrious folks from going ahead and doing it.
    For what it's worth, the vast number of DVD players sold in Australia a year or two ago were sold 'chipped'. We now have mainstream CD and video shops (clued into the fact that many folks want multi-region capability) selling multi-region PAL/NTSC DVD players directly from the shop floor. Some models even have a button on the remote that lets you select the Region, so if you come across a RCE disc you just choose Region 1 on the menu and everything is fine and dandy. The Asian DVD stores down here in Melbourne are even better - all of their software is imported from the States, HK and Japan, so every single player they sell is aggressively promoted as multi-region/multi-system, and they have some great deals.
    At the same time, every decent PAL TV down here (over say $600 Australian, which is about $300 US right now) plays NTSC and PAL. I imagine most other PAL territories like the UK, New Zealand and so forth are the same. Suffice to say that if you hack your player to play multi-region, you will not be the first.
    [Edited last by Anthony Thorne on August 11, 2001 at 09:21 PM]

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Yeah, fairly ironic that over in "the home of the brave and the land of the free" you can be clapped in irons - at least theoretically - for tinkering with a piece of machinery that you have bought and own outright.
    Over here in Scandinavia just about every enthusiast buys a region modified player directly. I did. In fact, the majority of my discs are R1.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

9. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I almost got arrested the other day. I was about to loan a book of mine to a British friend. Come to find out, that book was only meant to be read in America. If he reads it back home, well... all hell could break loose. Luckily, his retinas have been implanted with new circuitry that makes 'out-of-bounds' book print appear invisible. He was about to go to a cut-rate basement surgeon to have his eyes hacked to read all-region books. I told him that I didn't want to know anything about it. I only read the books that I'm meant to.
    Oh and one other thing... hack the FUCK out of that DVD player and never look back! [​IMG]
    *vitriol off*
    ------------------
    "Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

10. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Stunt Coordinator

11. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

12. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

Q: Wrong to want to hack my DVD player to play other regions?
    A: ...indeed yes, 'hacking' your DVD player is morally reprehensible, and it may even be illegal where you live ... I still say: go ahead and do 'it' if you can (or else get one of those 'all-region' players - e.g. the MALATA that one hears so much about these days) - thousands have preceded you... here, there, and everywhere... and they're happy campers all! ...
    (signed) Sanguine Sam - satisfied owner of not one, but two 'all-region' players, and a fine collection of DVDs from various European countries, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, the USA and -yes! - even Canada!
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

13. MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo Stunt Coordinator

One question I've always had about that Malata. Can you adjust the pitch of the audio output?
    Thanks guys.

14. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...ahh... well... there's always at least one fly in the ointment, isn't there...
    Let me put it this way: people with 'golden ears ' should avoid PAL DVDs like the plague lest they be exposed to the near-unbearable and definitely-ruinous-for-delicate-ear-drums approximate one-quarter-tone increase of PAL soundtracks...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

15. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor