What's new

Wrong to put a 60" TV on a 50" stand? (1 Viewer)

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm planning to get a 60" flat-screen TV and am thinking of placing it on a stand that says up to 50". Like this stand: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Init%26%23153%3B+-+TV+Stand+for+Flat-Panel+TVs+Up+to+50%22/3088147.p?id=1218377796133&skuId=3088147
Of course, the TV would hang over the sides of the stand a few inches. Is it wrong, looks bad, or what, to do this? The stand's weight rating is not an issue, so I am just wondering what opinions people have. One thing I hate, is when people have these huge entertainment center funiture boxes, and they plop a skinny little TV on top.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Since virtually all flat panels sit on a single, wide "foot" that's placed under the middle of the display, it won't make any difference.

As you alluded to, I think the 50" classification is a rough estimate to the size TV that WON'T hang over the sides. Completely irrelevant to the ability of the stand to support the TV.

It will work fine.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Check the recommended weight requirements for the stand. If the TV is within the spec, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks