What's new

Wrong to go with Sony 61" 4x3 HDTV? (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Parents are incessant on watching digital cable on a set without stretching. They watch movies very rarely, but I watch OFTEN. My DVD collection is growing. This set can squeeze DVDs. I also play a lot of games, so the 4x3 size helps in this aspect (for now, 16x9 is starting to come for games though).
I know most manufacturer's are ending their 4x3 models this year (it seems?), so I should be able to get this for ~$2000-2100.
The model is Sony KP61HS20/HS30. The HS30 has a shield that gives off bad reflections. It's removable, I don't think I can find the slightly cheaper HS20 series anywhere...anymore.
The thing about this set is it displays a 56-57" widescreen image. Of course when the set is off/on, it looks kind of weird (in the future) when it will be used only for HD material (black bars galore). My parents don't mind black bars, so neither do I...it does come down to that anyways right?
And alas I feel bad having this "username". Everyone else uses their real name!
-ELmO :star:

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
I say just give it up and wait until you know where you're going to be next year. Based on your past posts it doesn't really seem like your parents care about having a huge HDTV all that much so I don't think they would be all that bothered. If you decide you want to take the TV with you you might end up finding a place where your set just doesn't fit, I know I couldn't have had a 61" rptv in my first apartment (I think I would have had more space in a refrigerator box ;)).
It's a big purchase, I'd wait until I was a little more settled. It'll be much easier to make a decision once you take out a few of the variables. (Then again, it's easy to say things like that when you're looking in from the outside - I probably wouldn't be able to wait in your situation either :D.)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I agree with Evan that it sounds as if you have especially good reasons to wait before buying anything.

Jan

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
The problem is the 4x3 sets are getting harder and harder to find...and my gaming habits overcome anything else I like. I'm afraid by the time I get a set everyone will go 16x9. The problem with games are there is no forced regulation like HDTV, people will have 4x3 sets for a long time still - and game developers will give a 16x9 mode as a "second thought". I don't want to be stuck with a 16x9 TV playing 4x3 games stretched or in a box. It is acceptable, I tried some out at the local dealer, but it's not how the game is meant to be played. It's the same when people play DVDs in widescreen, they want it in WS not 4x3. It's the same deal for me with games..

The longer I wait the worse off I get.

-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks