What's new

Directors Writers Draft (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'll take Donald E. Westlake (aka Richard Stark, Tucker Coe).

The amazing thing about Westlake is that he can do the ultimate hard-boiled anti-hero like Parker with his Stark name, then turn around and do his light-hearted caper stuff like the Dortmunder gang.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Oh crap, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was up again already. I pick Richard Matheson.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Vickie picks Arthur C. Clarke. Here's some quotes:

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he says it is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
Clarke's First Law, from "Profiles of the Future" (1962)

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
Clarke's Second Law, from "Profiles of the Future" (1962)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Clarkes Third Law, from "Profiles of the Future" (1962)

"All explorers are seeking something they have lost. It is seldom that they find it, and more seldom still that the attainment brings them greater happiness than the quest."
"The City and the Stars" (1956)

"The fact that we have not yet found the slightest evidence for life - much less intelligence - beyond this Earth does not surprise or disappoint me in the least. Our technology must still be laughably primitive, we may be like jungle savages listening for the throbbing of tom-toms while the ether around them carries more words per second than they could utter in a lifetime."
"Odyssey" p390

"The more wonderful the means of communication, the more trivial, tawdry, or depressing its contents seemed to be."
"2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968)

"A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets."
Where?

"It is better to know the truth than to dabble in delusions."
Where? (1973)

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
IRC discussion

Justin Doring is up!

JenB

Screenwriter
Many great picks so far but I especially love J. Michael Strazcynski, Douglas Adams, and Arthur C. Clarke.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Oh crap, sorry Walter! Go ahead and pick. If you want Clarke, I have alternate picks for Vickie.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was considering Clarke, but it wasn't an ironclad choice, so no problemo...

My next pick is another fine author who seems like a natural choice ( given their relationship ) after Asimov...

Harlan Ellison

- Walter.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
F. Scott Fitzgerald

This Side of Paradise
The Great Gatsby
Tender is the Night
The Last Tycoon
assorted short stories

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
My next pick is H.P. Lovecraft.

"No eye had seen, no hand had touched that book since the advent of man to this planet. And yet, when I flashed my torch upon it in that frightful abyss, I saw that the queerly pigmented letters on the brittle, aeon-browned cellulose pages were not indeed any nameless hieroglyphs of earth's youth. They were, instead, the letters of our familiar alphabet, spelling out the words of the English language in my own handwriting."

- The Shadow Out of Time

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
ernest hemingway

favortie novel: the sun also rises
favorite short story: a clean, well-lighted place

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
As sci-fi writers seem to be getting scooped up pretty fast I had better grab while the getting is good and lay claim to my 2nd favorite sci-fi writer (Harlan is taken already).

-Robert A. Heinlein

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!! !!!!

Two rounds in a row, my pick goes right before my turn. Crap.

Ok, well, let's see.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks