What's new

Wrist watch prices vary all over the place (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm not into "prestige" watches. But my old 1986 Seiko's finish has worn off and it looks bad.

I really like the rectangular faced gold-tone watches and don't need a second hand - I'm retired. Searching online I found a nice replacement Seiko for $85 from an Amazon "partner", and it's solar powered. A few hours in the sun and the battery inside is recharged.

1012453_fpx.tif

While waiting for it to arrive, I checked again and the cheapest price now was $98. It arrived today and I found it had an MSRP of $215, but Macys would sell me one for $129. https://www.macys.com/shop/product/seiko-watch-mens-solar-brown-leather-strap-28mm-sup896?ID=607222

What's up with that? Are watch prices really that flexible?

Last edited:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Yes they are, I sold Seiko and its lower tier Pulsar line for many years and the wholesale-retail prices ranged all over the place

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Bought an "Invicta" watch at Costco a few years ago, $50. Keeps absolutely perfect time (I guess some of them have to beat the odds). Never adjust it except for the silly Daylight Saving Time issue. Seriously, it is spot on all the time, like one of those atomic clocks.

A new battery once in a while, best watch I've ever owned.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's not just watches. Look at products on Amazon and checkout the prices from other sellers. I do a google search on a product. You'll find a low price of $100 on an item but somebody else wants $300.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Today's price at Macys is the full $215 list price. I've now found my watch as low as $65 on eBay, although some of the eBay sellers are somewhat shakey.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Today's price at Macys is the full $215 list price. I've now found my watch as low as $65 on eBay, although some of the eBay sellers are somewhat shakey.
Gave up on eBay a few years ago. To many rip-offs. Also many items that you might think are rare, not really.

I've got some older items from the '40s I could possibly unload, but with many things, there could be 250,000+ of them out there.

Just before DVDs hit, I bought four widescreen VHS box sets of Star Wars. They were going for about $250-$300 on eBay. Literally the day I was going to list them, somebody must have found a truck-load of them and price dropped to $50.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The last time I bought a watch -- probably over 10 years ago -- I was surprised at how much less expensive the same models were online. I bought a Citizen Eco Drive watch online for about half the price the same model went for in the local stores. It's been great -- keeps perfect time, and the rechargeable battery has never needed replacement.

I really like the rectangular faced gold-tone watches and don't need a second hand - I'm retired.

I retired last year, and find that a rarely need a watch anymore. I took the Citizen on vacation with us to wear while hiking, but otherwise I almost always go watchless. It was odd at first , since I had been wearing a wristwatch since I was a kid, but I'm used to not having one now. I just pull out my phone if I want to know the time... and since I'm retired I usually do not care what the time is anyway. :lol:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm the other way around - I have no boss and no spouse, so why would I own a cellphone?

I rarely make or receive calls on my cell anymore since retiring. I usually check my email, check this forum and a couple of others when we travel, and stream Montreal Canadiens hockey games and Univ. of Michigan football games on it while we are either traveling or attending the USA Hockey games near our home. I'll also shop on Amazon to compare prices if we are in a brick & mortar store. It's a great navigation tool, too, to find detours around traffic jams or road construction.

I don't miss the 7x24x365 on-call intrusions that the cell caused while working. Now it's just a pleasurable portable Internet device. :)

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The last time I bought a watch -- probably over 10 years ago -- I was surprised at how much less expensive the same models were online. I bought a Citizen Eco Drive watch online for about half the price the same model went for in the local stores. It's been great -- keeps perfect time, and the rechargeable battery has never needed replacement.

I retired last year, and find that a rarely need a watch anymore. I took the Citizen on vacation with us to wear while hiking, but otherwise I almost always go watchless. It was odd at first , since I had been wearing a wristwatch since I was a kid, but I'm used to not having one now. I just pull out my phone if I want to know the time... and since I'm retired I usually do not care what the time is anyway. :lol:
Wish I had gone for the model where you just have to wear it and it runs, the movement of your body keeps it going (totally spacing out on what it's called). But a battery once a year isn't to bad.

Totally opposite with the phone, I don't own one, probably never will. Life goes on just fine without one ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wish I had gone for the model where you just have to wear it and it runs, the movement of your body keeps it going (totally spacing out on what it's called). But a battery once a year isn't to bad.

Totally opposite with the phone, I don't own one, probably never will. Life goes on just fine without one ;)
Self-winding.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It's not just watches. Look at products on Amazon and checkout the prices from other sellers. I do a google search on a product. You'll find a low price of $100 on an item but somebody else wants $300.
Amazon is a joke.

I need a new thermostat before the weather turns. Amazon wants $275. eBay and other reliable sources have them for about $50. Anybody have a ChromoTherm III :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Amazon is a joke.

I need a new thermostat before the weather turns. Amazon wants $275. eBay and other reliable sources have them for about $50. Anybody have a ChromoTherm III :D
I think I found that on Amazon and only a third party had it for $150. If that price above was for a third party, it's not Amazon's fault.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
When I need Miata parts, I first go to a dealer's site to get the full part number. I then search on "Mazda part#" and look for cheap prices.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My present cheap Miata is a 1996, purchased with 140K miles for $2,600. It's been a reliable car for 6 years now. I fix up cheap roadsters for a hobby now in retirement. Right now it's that Miata and a 2000 Porsche 986 Boxster. If you work on your own cars they can be cheap to drive.

12604522663_6a5e952dbb_c.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I think I found that on Amazon and only a third party had it for $150. If that price above was for a third party, it's not Amazon's fault.
Sorry, not bashing Amazon, just the sellers they attract. I bought my HDTV from Amazon, great price and quick delivery.

But like Craig's List, eBay, etc., anybody can advertise. There are better deals other than Amazon. Still waiting until I hear from my utility company, they also do thermostats and I'd tend to trust them more than a internet seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks