WRC: Gilles Panizzi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CharlesD, Mar 26, 2002.

1. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Did anyone watch the WRC Rally Catalunya this weekend?
    Gilles Panizzi is something else, and that donut at the Viladrau Bridge hairpin was absolutley fantastic! I love the in-car shot with him waving to the crowd and the confused look on his co-driver's face.
    Many race dirvers will do victory donuts after a race but I've never seen anyone doing one DURING a race!!! I'm a Subaru fan (I drive a World Rally Blue WRX after all) but now I'm also a Panizzi fan... too bad there are no more tarmac rallys for a while, so we won't be seing nearly as much of Gilles.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, the Panizzi brothers, Gilles and Herve are cool, seems like the last two races have been dominated by the Peugeots and Panizzi. He did have a decent lead on Richard Burns at the time anyway, the commentary said he only lost like 10 seconds in the whole manuever.

I saw the last stage on my 501 last night. I'm really looking forward to the next one on gravel though. As much as Panizzi seems dominating in Tarmac, I haven't seen a rally on gravel yet. The last one I saw before Corsa and Catayuna was in snow.

There's some serious rally fans in Spain I guess, alot of the stages had to be called off.. I like the one car which had both a gearshift on the floor and on the wheel but the shifter (sequential) on the floor would actually move when the driver would shift on the steering wheel paddles!

Jay

3. Jamie E

Jamie E Stunt Coordinator

Did you guys like the Carlos Sainz in car shot when they crashed out on day two? The look on the co-driver's face was priceless. "Mierda!" Sainz was apparantly trying to cut a corner, came up on a parked car, swerved to avoid it, then lost control trying to avoid a car parked on the OTHER side of the road. I can't believe the people who are willing to park their cars along the course and stand right by the road on the outside of corners. I've seen enough rallying on TV to know that if I were actually to witness a race in person, I'd be watching from the inside of a turn, at least 20 feet up a hill.

I think my favorite driver right now is Petter Solberg. He really seems like a cool guy, and I think he's going to have a great career.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

CharlesD,

Count me in as another fan of Team Subaru. I hope to pick up a WRX sometime soon.

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

The Peugeot is dominating right now. I don't know how those drivers can drive with all of those people lining the road!

I'm a fan of Tomi Makkinen's (pardon the spelling) driving, but his Subaru hasn't been holding up too well so far.

-Dan B