What's new

Wow. What a great picture on Super Bowl Sunday (1 Viewer)

Chris Bennett

Auditioning
Today was the first time I have been able to watch a sporting event in HDTV that is also being broadcast on regular TV. (The previous was a hockey game that was only on a HDTV channel).

Unfortunately, the Wow was not for the Super Bowl.

It was for the Laker's game from NBC (1080i) that started 4 hours before the football game.

I was flipping back and forth between the HDTV channel and the regular channel and the difference was stunning. In HDTV you can see the faces of people in the crowd and the players are not all fuzzy. This is what HDTV is all about.

The Super Bowl was another matter. While the widescreen presentation was "nice", it was obvious that the picture was not any better that the regular 480i broadcast at least on my TV. The people in the background and the writing on the Declaration of Independence were just as fuzzy in HDTV as they were on a regular channel.

So looks like Fox still "Sucks" for their use of 480P widescreen. Not worth buying HDTV equipement to watch Fox programming. Thank God for NBC, CBS, and PBS for their use of 1080i.

Chris Bennett

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Fox's use of 'WIDESCREEN' for their SB broadcast is a joke. I know they have the policy of supporting 480p, but even so...it's sloppy. Then again...Fox is a joke as far as HD goes.

Bruce

Paul W

Second Unit
I read on CNN that the score was tied in the 4th quarter and I rushed to turn on my HDTV hoping to catch an exciting ending.
Oh well, I tuned in as they were doing the replay of the field goal.
I noticed for a second that it was a widescreen presentation, but then I saw the low resolution and horrible moire patterns in people's shirts.
Oh well. Thank goodness I didn't miss much.
:rolleyes

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
The picture clarity of the super bowl was not as good as the laker game but it was certainly and improvement over a normal NTSC picture. Perhaps NBC HD coverage of the olympics will shame Fox in upgrading their system. There was an article on the news that many commercial sponsors were withholding their ads and putting them on during the Olympics. Both Chris and I and in the same place Toronto Canada. He complains about Fox but what about the Canadians not one station broadcasts in HD we Canadians are in the dark ages.It is only through ther marketing of expressvu starchoice and now rogers that we acanadians get to view HD broadcast which originates from our Americans friends.

It is time that the Canadians got their act together and move into the 21 st century.

It was the same way many years ago when the only station in Toronto was a Buffalo station,the Canadians came along later.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
480p can look better than this. This was shot with 480i cameras and doubled at your local station, and interlace shimmering was apparent in many shots. Also, there is some kind of edge enhancement or other artificial sharpness being applied that is just terrible.
480p 16:9 can easily look twice as good as this.
And yes, I'd rather have HD.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
I was very disappointed, I thought it was going to look much better than it did. I don't know if it was because it was in a Dome or what. It did look good compared to NTSC but all that twice the sharpness of DVD it was not.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Realize that all Fox did was change the AR of their standard cameras to deliver a 16/9 image. It was shot at 480i and doubled at your local Fox affiliate...Thus, it was never possible of a "twice the resolution of DVD" picture... Actually, DVD is twice as better because even the heavy EE titles have half the EE that this did.

In short, this is the exact same PQ that I got last week for the NFC Championship game, the week before for the Divisional play-offs, etc... The only difference was the 16/9 picture(which was a real 16/9) and in some cities, DD 5.1 audio.

The resolution is NO different.

Same haloing on the backs of the players from the main camera angle.

Same ghosting on the yard lines from the main angle.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The 1080i picture during the Laker - Mavericks NBA game was stunning. This is the first NBA game I have watched in several years. While I still found the game boring, I left it on because of the great picture.

The Super Bowl was another matter. Great game, not so great picture. CBS's 1080i college football looked much, much, much better. Did anyone else see a stuttering picture at times (sort of like stop-action photography), or was this just a Detroit-area problem? It seemed to always come from the same camera angle -- a high corner endzone view.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Scott, it certainly looked like FOX was having breakup problems and the picture would stop and stutter at times.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread