WOW! U2's Halftime Mini Concert...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunn, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

...Was pretty darn spectacular. The names of the victims of 9/11 on the flexi-screen was a nice touch. The crowd was definitely into it. The best halftime show/performance I have seen in a long time. Nicely done.

I think maybe that performance will give U2 albums a bit of a boost!

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Nice mini performance - very reminescent of their 2001 Elevation Tour. I saw them twice, once in June when they ended the first leg of the American tour at the Continental Arena and then again in October - again at the Continental Arena in NJ.

The second time I saw them, in October, they scrolled all the names just like they did in this mini show, it brought tears to my eyes in October (when they actually scrolled every name of every airplane and NYPD and NYFD victim +, since they had more time) - and it brought tears to my eyes today.

3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I agree, the performance was very good, but only two songs? I was bummed.

-Tom

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Did you people see the same performance I watched? I thought it was one of the worst U2 bits I've seen, mainly because Bono sounded HORRIBLE. I've heard the man have bad nights, but WOOF! He was disturbingly rough and off-key the whole time. Frankly, I thought this made them almost unlistenabe - I couldn't believe it...

5. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

No. We must have seen different performances.[​IMG]

6. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Where was "MLK"???? Is that the same as Pride (In The Name Of Love), a song that does center on King???? I must've missed it or something.

-Tom

7. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

8. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Bono was sounding rough, but I think voice problems can sometimes wring a better performance out of him.

If "MLK" was done, it was as a mega-brief medley bit at the end of "Streets." Bono was babbling something there at the end, but I couldn't quite make it out.

Easily the best Super Bowl halftime show ever.

Ryan

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

MLK was at the beginning of the 9/11 scroll: "Sleep, sleep tonight, and may your dreams be realized..." I loved it, it was a fitting tribute.

KJP

10. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I agree with Colin, I thought Bono sounded terrible. I'm not sure what he was doing during "where the streets have no name" can be classified as singing. The band sounded pretty darn good, but Bono sounded pretty darn bad. [​IMG]

11. JasonD

JasonD Agent

I saw U2 twice in Jersey last year and it was an amazing experience to be standing close to the stage. I missed the Super Bowl show but I'll make up for it by watching the DVD of the Boston Concert.

I also saw the Popmart tour years ago and it was such a horrible experience. My interpretation of the whole event was that U2 wanted to create a charicature of America materialism but the joke backfired in terms of the big video monitors and props overpowering the music. The recent tour was a "back to rock and roll" kind of atmosphere which I'll never forget.

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

13. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I must be nuts too, Colin. I thought Bono was certainly less than stellar last night, but at least he was better than the artist who sang our national anthem. [​IMG]

14. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I thought U2 was great! It was much like a recent concert I went to (my first U2-where have I been) in Atlanta recently. They are a quality rock group with great stage presence and great craftmanship on the guitars and drums.
    Bono sounded a bit rough in a few places, but overall he rocked. You gotta like Irish lads who love America as much as we do!
    Now if I can just find those leather jackets with the USA flag sewn into the lining....
    Mariah sucked as usual; voice cracking on the high notes! Can't the NFL do better than her? Where is Faith Hill?
    The most under-rated performance: The crowd chanting USA!
    USA! USA! USA! USA! (repeat as much as you like)
    I'm sorry to be so damn patriotic but I realized again what a great country this is during the Super Bowl. This little baby recession we're in is nothing compared to the character of the people of this great nation.
    Oh and Fox Sports did a superb job. Although I missed my Steelers, you gotta love the Pats! Great job Tom Brady!
    [​IMG]
    Lee

16. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Got to agree with the fact that this was far from a good Bono performance.

If this is what you saw performed at your concert

then you definitely did not see a quality U2 show.

17. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    taped it. i thought it was great, but i have to admit i flipped over to NBC for Playmate Fear Factor! [​IMG]

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

BTW, if anyone wants to see a GREAT U2 performance, then check out the rendition of "Walk On" from America: A Tribute to Heroes. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this performance may well be the best thing they've ever done - it's absolutely stunning. The rest of the DVD's quite good as well, but "Walk On" merits purchase on its own...

(For the record, I think they should have simply replicated the second encore from the 2001 third leg shows at the Super Bowl. "One"/"Peace On Earth"/"Walk On" would have worked better than what they did...)

19. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I thought miss Mariah was lip synching.
    Bono made it a point to say he was singing live, unlike the other stars "peforming" that evening.

20. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Sorry to stay off topic but if the victims names were scrolled, couldnt one side of the field see the band. If anyone who saw the game live at New Orlines, could someone tell me if this is it.