What's new

Wow, this Staples clerk isn't too bright. (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Screw that. No way would I have answered any questions. Its none of their business what I want to buy. If they want to try and press charges go ahead, I would be getting free ink cartridges for life from staples as well as free staples.

Just because a cop asks you questions you don't have to answer them. Especially if you know you did absolutely nothing wrong.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

In the words of Judge Marilyn Millian and cops everywhere, "You *might* avoid the time, but you [rant]won't[/rant] avoid the ride."

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It could have been worse. She could have asked for "The old version of Flight Simulator. The version that still lets you fly into buildings."

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Here is my question to the Staples clerk / manager:

Why are you selling such dangerous merchandise?

Jon

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If buying the game gets you in trouble why the hell do they sell it????

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Here is a place to email them and tell them what you feel. If Staples makes you feel uncomfortable to shop there why even bother?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well it wasn't in stock, perhaps they got paranoid and pulled the title some time ago. They seem stupid enough to have done something like that.

Yep, Bill of Rights, who needs 'em? Nothing but trouble. :frowning:

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Least she got service. It takes me to pull out one of those little alarm plugs on the demo gear to get them to come to me:D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
does this sound like a professional spokesperson speaking? is there no better way to start this sentence than "it's all about"? how about "we strive to keep our customers safe" sounds like we are listening to some dumb college chick give a statement rather than a professional woman.

CJ

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
David,

by all means. Its a little phone jack thing. Just unplug and plug it back in. Can't turn it off without a key so an associate is sure to come;)

Then I act stupid tell them it went off when I picked up an item off the shelf to look at it.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

If they ever had to deal with the black hole that is Staples online warehouses, where gravity is so powerful, even their own products cannot escape, then I would not blame them. ;)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member

Oh it'll have its day in court. Not everyone will just role over and submit. Someday they'll knock down the wrong door or pick up the wrong person and they will fight it and win.

chris_everett

Second Unit
The voice of reason interjects again... :)
The cops were just responding to a complaint. i.e. doing their job! Imagine if it _was_ a terrorist. We would all be up in arms about them not acting on it, and rightfully so.

None of this in any way whatsoever has the slightest thing to do with the patriot act.

The cops have every right to ask you a question. Always have. You have every right not to answer. Always have. They can arrest you. You can demand a lawyer.
Assuming that the cops were decent to me, I would answer. (Again, they are just doing their jobs). If they were being jerks, all bets are off, and we'll give those lawyers something to do!

That being said, Staples screwed up in a big way. If they don't want to sell the software, don't sell the software. duh... They should cut a check for $1000 and have the CEO hand deliver it, and beg for forgivness.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a problem with the cops doing their job, and as was pointed out earlier, I would like to know how exactly they knew that it was her that inquired about the simulation software.

So, in effect this lady arose suspicion in a salesperson because she asked for flight simulation software. What if say, she didn't ask for it, and just found it on a shelf and walked up and paid for it, would that have made it any more or less suspicious.

Let this be a lesson to everyone, never ask for help at Staples.

chris_everett

Second Unit
Keith, please read the last paragraph of my post, where I said "Staples screwed up in a big way"

Now

How? They aren't psychic! They get a call probably from staples management "We just had a suspicious person inquire about flight simulator software they were driving a car with license number XXXXXXX"
They don't have context.
They don't know that the clerk was a bonehead. :)
The call is from management at a major store, not some crackhead on a street corner. (No dilbert jokes about management please :)

What would you do if you were in charge? I'd probably say to the trooper "It's probably nothing but we better check it out just in case" Again, it's your ass if it _was_ a real threat. And how could you live with yourself if it was?

So what did they do? They went and followed up, i.e. judging a stupid call from a good one. They didn't arrest her, get a warrant, invoke patriot act provisions to get surveillance on her, etc. If they did, outrage would be justified.

If you can suggest a better way for the cops to handle this, by all means suggest away. (Please don't take this as a flame)
I just don't see how this has anything to do with liberty, patriot act, etc,etc....

And again, Staples screwed up. Big time.

(trying desperatly to keep from being locked)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks