Wow... so much to learn!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Sabo, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Brief story... the excitement of a newbie:
    Ok, so my new receiver was finally delivered (HK AVR125), which is actually the first new piece in my setup. I bought a refurb from Harmon Audio, hadn't realized it wouldn't come with a remote or manual. No biggie, downloaded all manuals from their site. Picked up a cheap remote for now (One For All). Begin setting it all up and...
    Wo have things changed since the old 2 speaker stereo days! All these different connection types, settings and options. I keep saying to myself "Baby Steps".
    But here's the fun part... Every time I read a new part in the manual and make the adjustment, the sound gets better! Trying different connections, programming the remote, connecting the PC to the receiver... every tiny little step produces a great reward! I can't get over the improvements I have already experienced! I'm so glad I found this forum and went the component route, as I was very close to buying the Onkyo HTiB.
    I had made an earlier post when I jumped in and made my receiver purchase after lurking here for a bit and got a few responses that said "Run while you can!"... I now see the reasoning behind those responses. I have become an instant addict... it's all I think about lately. And what's great is I still have just about every piece of the system to research and purchase!!! I never really thought this could become a main hobby, but there's so much to it my opinion has changed.
    So here I currently sit with HK 125 receiver, older Onkyo CD changer, older JBL floor standing mains (forget the model), Xbox (used also for DVD), PC (used for MP3 and some video) and an older Toshiba 27". Next purchase will be some JBL speakers, I'm thinking the NSP-1 system added to my mains will give me 7.1. After that a subwoofer, undecided on which. I'm currently going for a budget system to allow me to build a DVD collection quicker, since I currently only own 10.
    Thanks to all of the contributors the excellent resource that this forum is! [​IMG]
    My apologies for the lengthy post with basically no point. It's just that my friends just don't understand my enthusiasm, I have to let it out somewhere. [​IMG]

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Good post Dave. I agree fully on it being your main hobby. I never would have thought this could be so engrossing. I think it day and night to. My wife will attest to that. To late to run now. You had your chance. Hope you have some $ tucked away.[​IMG]

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dave,

Thanks for sharing! You now understand our habit, our addiction.

I declare your post "THE NEWBIE POST OF THE MONTH!"

-V

4. Dave Sabo

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I thought many members posted at work. Much evidence in regards. Well there goes your production at work. [​IMG]

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I post just as much at work as at home [​IMG] I need a life :p)
    Here's the scary thing, and a friend and I were existentially discussing this the other day, that there is so much that we don't even know we don't know, that we can't even comprehend how much there is to know. >brain now hurts< Along the lines of "the more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know"
    When I started buying DVDs, there were only ~200 titles. Man, that didn't leave much to rent, if you could find a place that rented within 20 mi...of which I had 2, both being just a bit far for regular rental. My first DVD player set me back a decent $520...and it's still doing fine. My current receiver cost more than my entire first HT. [​IMG]

7. Dave Sabo

Unfortunately I know exactly how this goes... I've seen it with my computer habit... it's sickening. I still have a receipt for my first 300meg external hard drive for which I paid... are you ready?... $3800!!! now for under 50 bucks I can get that much in RAM. And the hard drive has long since been useless.

I can't imagine when there were less than 200 DVDs available total. All I know now it's is nerve-wracking trying to decide what to buy... I want them all!

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

With $3800 to spend on 300 meg you "WILL"! have them all Dave. We will have to see if we can find you a customized DVD rack though. We are talking big, really, really, really BIG![​IMG]

9. John Garcia

John
    Haha. How do you think I feel about my HDD? I paid $100 for a 40G not too long ago, and now I can get a 120G for $129. [​IMG] $3800 for 300MB is a lot, but you had it then [​IMG]

10. Dave Sabo

Unfortunately I seemed to have much more expendable cash when I was younger... but I can budget better now so I suppose it balances out.
    John - I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of quoting you in my sig... if so please let me know. [​IMG]

11. John Garcia

John
    I don't mind at all. It's kind of cool actually [​IMG]

12. Dave Sabo

Ok this is getting out of control quick... I'm working today and went out to grab lunch. The entire lunch hour was a blur, I have no recollection of it... yet I'm staring at 4 new DvDs in a Target bag on my desk [​IMG]
    If I end up penniless and insane... do I have any legal recourse against HTF? :wink:

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

OK Spill the beans. What DVD's did you buy now Dave?

14. Dave Sabo

A Bridge Too Far for 9.44, A Knight's Tale SE for 14.44, Close Encounters CE for 14.44, and Amadeus Director's Cut SE for full price of 19.99.

I know I can probably save a few bucks online shopping, but I'm the type that likes to hold it before I buy it. Amadeus is the first full price one I've bought yet, my strategy is to go different places at lunch break and see what's on sale. I even tried 2 previously viewed from Hollywood video, but I'm not quite sure if I like that route yet, as there were no inserts.

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Dave, ever thought of buying an overhead projector and a 90-100" screen? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] That's a whole other can of worms. Whatever happened to those baby steps yoou were talking about?

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I understand Dave. I do wined up buying quit a few from Blockbuster though. There is like ten of them on my rout and a BBuy. When I buy previewed I have them or myself open it there and check it out. No problem exchanging scuffed ones. With the you rent it and like it $9.99 deal I just have to go this rout to. I am so mo vied out this week for I have been on vacation. I went to the coast for a few days with a friend and then came home and have been watching movies every-since. I did do a few errands for my wife and finish a gate but that's it. If you look back at that post that said-"run while you can" you will find you did not take my advice. So I guess we need to talk sub now. You state you are going to go with a budget sub so you can grow your DVD's faster. MMMMMM--it's your decision only, but can I talk you out of that? You will enjoy those DVD's much more with a good sub. You will be totally mesmerized in the .1 LFE channel with a good sub. Just a thought. Well I guess I will go do one more movie and then that's it! [​IMG] Trust me when I say "just one more".

17. Dave Sabo

Ever since I started clicking the links to people's home setups... unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't have the space currently, but I'm working on that as well. And those baby steps... well uh... that's all good in theory, but you could say my track record shows I may have some obsessive-compulsive tendencies [​IMG]
    And Steve... I'm still up in the air as to my speakers and subs... we shall see :wink:

18. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Does easy does it or keep coming back it works ring a bell?

19. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

well i have been an audiophile for 20 years and just started this HT project and there is very very much to learn! i am finding out the hard way.. i read all these posts and even get more confused...I will keep doing my room till i am happy that is what matters :=)

Will

20. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I here you Will. I would say at times we can loose our contentment with what we have by learning what is out there. "Balance" It is good to learn and upgrade but I seem to get out of whack at times concerning.[​IMG]