WOW, Separates RULE!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis B, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

There is just no good way to describe the amazing difference in sound quality with the introduction of a Rotel amp in my system. I am using a RB-1070 borrowed from my dealer for evaluation which I'll return next week when my RMB-1075 arrives.
    Sound is soooo much clearer, when I turned the amp off it seemed everything was 'blurred', 'foggy', if you get the picture. It really made my speakers come alive. And keep in mind I'm using a Marantz 7200, which may not be top of the line but is in no way a bad receiver!
    A special thanks to Legairre, Larry B, George King and everybody else who pushed me into this move. Separates DO rule![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I am really happy you like the 1070. Given my experience with the 1075, you are going to love it.
    Glad we could help[​IMG]

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Glad to have helped. That's why I love it when people say "there's no difference between seperates and a receiver". If they could only hear what their missing.

4. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

> ...when I turned the amp off it seemed everything was 'blurred', 'foggy'...

I don't get it. Why did you get any sound at all with the amp off???!!!

5. Dennis B

Graham,

You're probably kidding, but anyway I meant with the amp off and the receiver on.

Rgds.

6. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Sorry I am still confused :)

You had the speakers connected to both the receiver and the amp? So you could a/b by switching the amp on and off?

I'm not trying to criticize your results, just trying to understand as I could soon be hooking up a receiver & amp combo :)

I would have thought the speakers are connected only to the amp, hence turning off the amp would mean no sound, even if the receiver's on!

7. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering the same thing. How are you getting sound with the amp off and the receiver on. Are your speakers connected to the amp or receiver?

8. Legairre

My guess would be that he disconnected the speakers from the amp. Reconnected them to the receiver and listened to the differences.

9. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Dennis,
    What speakers are you driving with the Rotel? I have a Marantz SR7000 driving Paradigm Monitor 9s and with the recent upgrade of my speaker cables I'm thinking I need a warm-sounding amp to tame some of this treble. Plus I'm getting the separates itch [​IMG]

10. Dennis B

okay, let's see...

Graham and Tom, I had (1) the pre-outs of the receiver connected to the amp and from there to the speakers and (2) the speakers connected directly to the receiver main outs.

I alternated between (1) and (2), of course they were not wired at the same time, the receiver doesn't even allow that, and didn't take more than 1 minute to realize something big was happening. By the way, I had all levels adjusted to read the same SPL for a fair comparison.

Yohan, I'm driving B&W 602s. To quote George King, "better electronics made my good speakers sound great" - couldn't put it in better words.

11. Legairre

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Perhaps I can tag on to this thread for a response to the phenomenon I found when I introduced my new Anthems MCA5 amp into the system yesterday. I described it in my post yesterday on this topic forum...

to wit, the main thing I first discovered is that the receiver's volume gain had been "improved" by -10 to -12 dB from previous calibration setting for 75dB reference. A CD that played at -40dB previously from the AVR now produces the same sound level at -50 or -52dB. Hey, I'm not complaining about this sensitivity. But have y'all found the same thing?

bill

13. Legairre

Bill,

I haven't checked the difference with my SPL meter yet, but I definately did have to re-calibrate all my levels. I have noticed that music that I use to play at -10 is now REAL loud as -10.

14. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Legairre,
    Thanks for the compliment, but I just got "lucky". If my friend had not blown the speakers, I would never have made the observation. Dumb luck doesn't qualify for smarts :b .
    Dennis, I am glad to have some confirmation of what I heard. I was beginning to think I had joined the Lunatic Fringe.[​IMG]

15. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

George:

16. Dennis B

LarryB is right, the 7200 is now my pre/pro.